IGORyo

Filing for citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

hello everyone,

i wanted to get intern for federal bureau this summer, here in the NYC, but one of the requirements is that i should be a citizen, im 19 and i was wondering how long would the whole process take? i dont need any preparations, i checked the questions they are quite silly i could do it right away, however, how long does the whole process take? i would need it done preferably by mid May.

could i get my biometrics while im filing or should I get that separately?

-i had my biometrics when i was 12 would that still work?

last question, could my mom still file for the citizenship and so i could get it automatically? im 19

oh damn it, yeah im a permanent resident - green card, since i was 12, but if it takes 3-5 months + the fact that the ones who work on those government jobs are slow and lazy, ya know, it will take 5 months at least..

I'd be careful with this generalization, USCIS people are known to read the immigration forums. Also, FBI is also government agency - your internship would also put you in the very same generalization as you describe - lazy and slow - so why you want an internship there is questionable.

No, you can't get your citizenship by mid-May - should've applied months ago if you wanted to be done by May. No one to blame but yourself. No, you can't get naturalized through your mother as you are 19 (18 and below only works that way). No, you can't use old biometrics - you will have to do another biometrics appointment.

Yes, you can change your name, this may add couple of weeks/months - ask about it at your interview.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'd be careful with this generalization, USCIS people are known to read the immigration forums. Also, FBI is also government agency - your internship would also put you in the very same generalization as you describe - lazy and slow - so why you want an internship there is questionable.

No, you can't get your citizenship by mid-May - should've applied months ago if you wanted to be done by May. No one to blame but yourself. No, you can't get naturalized through your mother as you are 19 (18 and below only works that way). No, you can't use old biometrics - you will have to do another biometrics appointment.

Yes, you can change your name, this may add couple of weeks/months - ask about it at your interview.

oh okay thanks for all answers

but about slow and lazy

I was talking more about social services like for example, social security, DMV, postal office, and in particular i was talking about clerks, they take forever to do something here in NYC, sorry for complaining but i don't have my whole life to have few documents signed, don't question my business.

• 1 month later...

Exactly as you were told before - you won't have it by mid-May. Now sit tight and wait for your turn just like any other N400 applicant.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.