Cam

I'm outta here

45 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
As I said before, there is no need to look only for Aeroflot bus or any special numbers. ANY buses there go between Sheremetyevo1,2 (mini, big, huge - plenty of them). They are all well marked (I hope you can understand letters 1 and 2, that's all you need). I had a very nice bus (BIG) for 15 rubles from Sherem. 2 to 1.
Yes, I know the buses go between SVO-1 and SVO-2. But like you said in an earlier post, some of the buses go to town, and I don't want to spend an hour or so just to get back to Sheremetyevo-1. It's a little more than just understanding 1 and 2, because some of them go to SVO-1 first, then SVO-2, and then to town, and then back to SVO-1. Fortunately, I can speak Russian enough to find out which is which. :thumbs:

I took the (big) bus once when I had plenty of time, and it took about an hour. :blink: Yes, 15 rubles was the price, but I don't really care to ride a bus that long this time. I remember that at least one of the buses (or mini-buses) goes directly to SVO-1 first, then to town, not the other way around.

I know I've got enough time to make my connecting flight (arrive Moscow 10:30am, depart at 17:00 to Volgograd). I just don't feel like sitting on a bus for an hour, with my baggage, just to go 8 kilometers or so, to SVO-1. :P I'd rather find something to eat and relax a bit. And with Delta's history, the flight to Moscow has never been on time for me. It's always been at least an hour late.

Thanks, all!

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If it took you an hour to go between terminals then you took the wrong bus!

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
As I said before, there is no need to look only for Aeroflot bus or any special numbers. ANY buses there go between Sheremetyevo1,2 (mini, big, huge - plenty of them). They are all well marked (I hope you can understand letters 1 and 2, that's all you need). I had a very nice bus (BIG) for 15 rubles from Sherem. 2 to 1.
Yes, I know the buses go between SVO-1 and SVO-2. But like you said in an earlier post, some of the buses go to town, and I don't want to spend an hour or so just to get back to Sheremetyevo-1. It's a little more than just understanding 1 and 2, because some of them go to SVO-1 first, then SVO-2, and then to town, and then back to SVO-1. Fortunately, I can speak Russian enough to find out which is which. :thumbs:

I took the (big) bus once when I had plenty of time, and it took about an hour. :blink: Yes, 15 rubles was the price, but I don't really care to ride a bus that long this time. I remember that at least one of the buses (or mini-buses) goes directly to SVO-1 first, then to town, not the other way around.

I know I've got enough time to make my connecting flight (arrive Moscow 10:30am, depart at 17:00 to Volgograd). I just don't feel like sitting on a bus for an hour, with my baggage, just to go 8 kilometers or so, to SVO-1. :P I'd rather find something to eat and relax a bit. And with Delta's history, the flight to Moscow has never been on time for me. It's always been at least an hour late.

Thanks, all!

I did not understand why do you need to go to the city and why your trip from SVO2 to 1 can take an hour??

Most of buses actually go city-SVO2-SVO1-SVO2-city. When yiou are at SVO 2 you just come to the bus and ask driver if it is on it's way to SVO1 or city. All what you need to say is "To Sheremetyevo 1 now?" that's all, especially you write that you even can say some words in Russian. But they will understand you anyway. Trip from SVO 2 to 1 is only about 10-15 minutes. Not an hour.

Even if there is just one bus, which goes city-SVO1-SVO2-city, just don't take it. Again, ask the driver "To SVO1 now?" If no take another bus. That's easy isn't it? But if you want to stay and stay looking for a certain bus well, your choice. I just tried to suggest how to make it faster.

Have a good trip and I wish you both good luck with interview!

If you want to spend your money, I'm pretty sure that you can get a cabby to take you for about 100P. That is, if you say "Sheremetyevo dva" and hand him the 100P note while jumping in the cab and sitting down like you've done it a million times.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I asked one guy that was standing there and he spoke a little English. Told me I was in the right spot and then when the bus pulled up he invited me on the bus. Allot of people in Moscow speak english. Or at least enough to give help.

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

Timeline
I did not understand why do you need to go to the city and why your trip from SVO2 to 1 can take an hour??
Why? Because I was bored! On that trip I had LOTS of time to kill, and I just wanted to ride the bus and watch the scenery. Plus, the snow was about a foot deep and there was a nice, cold wind to chill my bones. The bus was, at least, out of the wind, and I could take pictures out the window of the beautiful "winter wonderland." :)
Most of buses actually go city-SVO2-SVO1-SVO2-city. When yiou are at SVO 2 you just come to the bus and ask driver if it is on it's way to SVO1 or city. All what you need to say is "To Sheremetyevo 1 now?" that's all, especially you write that you even can say some words in Russian. But they will understand you anyway. Trip from SVO 2 to 1 is only about 10-15 minutes. Not an hour.

Even if there is just one bus, which goes city-SVO1-SVO2-city, just don't take it. Again, ask the driver "To SVO1 now?" If no take another bus. That's easy isn't it? But if you want to stay and stay looking for a certain bus well, your choice. I just tried to suggest how to make it faster.

When I was there in February, it seemed as though most (if not all) of the buses (mini and large) went from city-SVO1-SVO2-city. I did ask the bus driver (and the occupants) "Sheremetyevo adyin seeches" and it was a resounding "Nyet!" and they named the metro station in the city. But enough of me justifying my scenic trip on the bus. I'm sure I'll find the right bus with no problem this time. :yes:
Have a good trip and I wish you both good luck with interview!
Thanks!

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

A lot of people in Moscow speak english.
What part of Moscow did you visit? I thought the exact opposite.

I did notice that if you ask enough people, eventually one of them will "practice" their English with you. They may not speak a lot of English, but they'll speak enough to help you.

Generally, a helpful person is going to help you in any language. If you're looking for a certain bus number or directions to your house, someone will be able to help.... it's up to you to ask! (And of course, to find that helpful person!)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I did notice that if you ask enough people, eventually one of them will "practice" their English with you. They may not speak a lot of English, but they'll speak enough to help you.

Generally, a helpful person is going to help you in any language. If you're looking for a certain bus number or directions to your house, someone will be able to help.... it's up to you to ask! (And of course, to find that helpful person!)

When I went to visit Anna, she insisted I call her from the Moscow Airport. Well I dont have a cell phone and thought I would be able to pick up a phone card and just call her. Well the first couple of places I stoped to ask about phone cards where run by ladies my age or older and they seemed disgusted that I was speaking English to them. Evantually I found a little store that sold phone cards run by a bunch of kids, they seemed interested in helping me even though I spoke no Russain and they spoke no English. Finally they got me a phone card. I got the phone and figuring out how to place the call was another bit of a project but eventually I got ahold of Anna and the rest is history.

Another bit of the language barrier was that when I checked in for my domestic flight, their rules are a bit different than the international flights. The ticket attendant was trying to tell me my bag was too heavy. A nice Russian gentleman stepped up said, your bag is too heavy go back to where you got the ticket pay the fine and bring it back to this lady.

Point is people are the same all over, either they will help you or not. I cant believe how many times I said I was sorry I could not speak Russian.

Paul misses Anna

Filed: Timeline
Point is people are the same all over, either they will help you or not. I cant believe how many times I said I was sorry I could not speak Russian.

Paul misses Anna

One of the first phrases I learned to say in Russian was simply:

"Excuse me please, I don't speak Russian. Only a little bit".

I won't try to type it here, but it has come in handy more than once, like when the militisei approach you, because you've been gawking like a tourist as you walk around Red Square...

;)

-- Dan

[

Paul misses Anna

If you said it in English, they probably just gave you that same look the ladies at the store did.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

I'm sure I wasn't anywhere different than you were. Actually I found that when people heard me speaking English they were inclined to join in and ask if I was from America. Those that speak English want to speak with you to brush up on it. I think the look that they give like they are disgusted is only the look of someone that doesn't understand. It's a different culture. Galina found herself trying to explain Russian culture often because I would always ask her to ask someone to take pictures for us and we would do the same. She told me countless times "if they want us to take pictures for them they will ask!!!"

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

Timeline
One of the first phrases I learned to say in Russian was simply:

"Excuse me please, I don't speak Russian. Only a little bit".

I won't try to type it here, but it has come in handy more than once, like when the militisei approach you, because you've been gawking like a tourist as you walk around Red Square...

;)

-- Dan

For quick and dirty... Go to this translation site, type in the phrase, choose English-Russian, and Transliterate. Click Translate, and voila! Read it as it is displayed. Be careful though. Use simple English to get the best translation. I just tried "Excuse me please" and it gave me "Izvinite men'a pozhalujsta" instead of the normal "Izvinite pozhalujsta." And "Excuse please" gave me something totally different. Russians would probably understand you, and chuckle a bit. :yes:

I think a basic understanding of pronunciation goes a long way. Izvinite is pronounced more like eez-vee-nee'-tye, and pozhalujsta sound more like pah-zhal-oos'-ta. Not perfect, but close enough. :unsure:

You definitely have to hear a native speaker say something to understand how it's truly said.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Timeline
For quick and dirty... Go to this translation site, type in the phrase, choose English-Russian, and Transliterate. Click Translate, and voila! Read it as it is displayed. Be careful though. Use simple English to get the best translation. I just tried "Excuse me please" and it gave me "Izvinite men'a pozhalujsta" instead of the normal "Izvinite pozhalujsta." And "Excuse please" gave me something totally different. Russians would probably understand you, and chuckle a bit. :yes:

I think a basic understanding of pronunciation goes a long way. Izvinite is pronounced more like eez-vee-nee'-tye, and pozhalujsta sound more like pah-zhal-oos'-ta. Not perfect, but close enough. :unsure:

Austin V:

Yes, I know the phrase, I just didn't want to try typing in the Western equivalent, nor Cyrillic...

And yes, 'Izvinite pazhalusta', is how it begins, but I prefer seeing it in Cyrillic, I guess I put my Cyrillic "plug-in" when I see the Cyrillic lettering, since I started by learning the phonetics of the alphabet...

"Etta bukva YO... Etta bukva PEH... "

-- Dan

You definitely have to hear a native speaker say something to understand how it's truly said.

And yes, my Russian friends have commented more than once how the phrases I can speak, sound very clear and very good to them, without much of an accent.

I think this comes from all the practice I've had, as well as the fact, I mentioned I'm of eastern european descent and grew up in my grandparents house where I heard Polish all the time.

While Polish is not the same language as Russian, and a different alphabet, many phonetic sounds are very very similar.

But even when I spoke with Tatyana this weekend she remarked at how good my (limited phraseology) Russian ~sounded~ to her... of course practice make perfect and I try to learn whenever I can.

I won't get into the pros and cons, but I'm big on Rosetta Stone software.

The newest release of the PROMT software translator also has a new feature where you can click on a Cyrillic word and HEAR it pronounced, as well as get its translation.

Granted it's a computer voice, but it does help. Much clearer and cleaner than the electronic pocket-translator voice I might add as well.

Thanks, slim!

-- Dan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.