Cam

I'm outta here

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Got my visa with a month to spare. All ready for a kick a$$ vacation in the mother country. Got my commie babe meeting me at the airport (Just Kidding). She said she'll take me to the Black Sea if I would like to go. But it looks like about 700 miles from Kazan. By train that's probably 2 days. So I don't think so.

Got The Lonely Planet Guide to Russia and Belerus, 800 pages, if you can get this book in your back pocket your pants are way to big. Only 4 pages on Kazan. But a lot on their culture. What to do and not do. And a few words I couldn't get at the library.

:dance::devil::jest:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam, sounds like you're ready to have a good time. Trust me, you will!

The Lonely Planet book that you have is great, but I would still recommend getting the phrasebook. (Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Lonely-Phras...TF8&s=books ) Spend another $10, you'll be glad you did.

AND START STUDYING!!! You should know (at minimum) before you go how to read Cyrillic characters (well enough to read place names, Metro stops, etc.) and basic numbers (spoken in Russian) like 1 through 10 and 100 and 1,000. Also Familiarize yourself with the conversion rates for Euros, Dollars, and Roubles. If you know these basic things, you should be able to get around pretty well, even if your girls all find out that you're seeing more than one. Ever get that straightened out?

Good luck over there, have fun, and if you have a whole month... STUDY!!!!!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Cam, sounds like you're ready to have a good time. Trust me, you will!

The Lonely Planet book that you have is great, but I would still recommend getting the phrasebook. (Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Lonely-Phras...TF8&s=books ) Spend another $10, you'll be glad you did.

AND START STUDYING!!! You should know (at minimum) before you go how to read Cyrillic characters (well enough to read place names, Metro stops, etc.) and basic numbers (spoken in Russian) like 1 through 10 and 100 and 1,000. Also Familiarize yourself with the conversion rates for Euros, Dollars, and Roubles. If you know these basic things, you should be able to get around pretty well, even if your girls all find out that you're seeing more than one. Ever get that straightened out?

Good luck over there, have fun, and if you have a whole month... STUDY!!!!!

I just about have them straighten out. Have the one meeting me at the airport and the other one I think is way to HOT looking for me. If I brought her to the states I would be fighting off guys everyday. So I told her I was meeting another girl. I made myself a little card with conversion dollars to rubles to carryin my wallet. I'll check out the phase book, but I think most Russians would get bored waiting for me to sound out a sentence.

I just about have them straighten out. Have the one meeting me at the airport and the other one I think is way to HOT looking for me. If I brought her to the states I would be fighting off guys everyday. So I told her I was meeting another girl. I made myself a little card with conversion dollars to rubles to carryin my wallet. I'll check out the phase book, but I think most Russians would get bored waiting for me to sound out a sentence.

What do you mean way too hot looking for you???

There's no such thing!!! Go watch that movie Hitch, with Will Smith and ol' boy from the King of Queens, and then think about it again. The huge difference that you're going to notice in Russia from what you're used to seeing here is that super hot women are not stuck up at all. As a matter of fact, most of them are actually sitting around waiting for you (and wanting you) to come talk to them because most guys either never say anything to them or only ask them for one thing. When you get there, it's like you've had all of Hitch's training, but without ever watching the silly movie.

There is no girl "out of your league" in Russia. And if you bring one of the "way too hot" ones back here, you won't have to fight anyone because she'll simply say "I am with you. I don't care what this man say, and you don't care either because it is not important. We have our love and our relationship. (And then some choice words that aren't appropriate for VJ to that other guy in Russian....)" So, don't sweat it. If you wanna go for the "hot" one, do it! But, you know what they say.... a solid 7 is what you're really shooting for! (I forget what movie that was from.)

And as far as sounding out phrases from your book.... don't worry about it. You can point and grunt, because Russians can read! The little book is awesome because you can carry it around, and you'll never be without a two-way dictionary or something else to help you. I used mine several times with girls that spoke very little English, and was able to get on quite well with the help of this little guide.... becuase it's so small but packed with so much that you WILL use. Just a good thing to have.

I'm curious about this chick that's "too hot". Would it be possible for us to see a side-by-side comparison? Not trying to drink your kool-aid, but just curious. And by the way, when you get there, you're going to see literally thousands of girls that are "way too hot." GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

What do you mean way too hot looking for you???

There's no such thing!!! Go watch that movie Hitch, with Will Smith and ol' boy from the King of Queens, and then think about it again. The huge difference that you're going to notice in Russia from what you're used to seeing here is that super hot women are not stuck up at all. As a matter of fact, most of them are actually sitting around waiting for you (and wanting you) to come talk to them because most guys either never say anything to them or only ask them for one thing. When you get there, it's like you've had all of Hitch's training, but without ever watching the silly movie.

There is no girl "out of your league" in Russia. And if you bring one of the "way too hot" ones back here, you won't have to fight anyone because she'll simply say "I am with you. I don't care what this man say, and you don't care either because it is not important. We have our love and our relationship. (And then some choice words that aren't appropriate for VJ to that other guy in Russian....)" So, don't sweat it. If you wanna go for the "hot" one, do it! But, you know what they say.... a solid 7 is what you're really shooting for! (I forget what movie that was from.)

And as far as sounding out phrases from your book.... don't worry about it. You can point and grunt, because Russians can read! The little book is awesome because you can carry it around, and you'll never be without a two-way dictionary or something else to help you. I used mine several times with girls that spoke very little English, and was able to get on quite well with the help of this little guide.... becuase it's so small but packed with so much that you WILL use. Just a good thing to have.

I'm curious about this chick that's "too hot". Would it be possible for us to see a side-by-side comparison? Not trying to drink your kool-aid, but just curious. And by the way, when you get there, you're going to see literally thousands of girls that are "way too hot." GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!!

I found 2 books with the same name and author. One is 255 pages and one is 355 pages. Not worried about a couple dollars, just wonder which is the best book. Thanks for the advice I will rethink the Hotness factor.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I'll check out the phase book, but I think most Russians would get bored waiting for me to sound out a sentence.
I gotta agree with slim. Get a phrasebook! You'll be glad you did! I've got the previous (3rd) edition of Lonely Planet, and I love it! The last time I was in Moscow (only for a couple of days, in transit to another country with my Russian wife) I wished I had remembered to take mine! I've been learning Russian, off and on, for a while now. The more you learn now, the better. I've gotten to the point in reading Russian, that my wife is calling me a "spy"! :P I can actually get around the metro in Moscow better than her!! :devil:

And don't worry about sounding it out. The phrasebook has the transliterated version of the words and phrases so it's pretty easy to sound it out fairly quickly. When I first met my wife last year, I was able to wander the streets of Volgograd to buy her flowers, without any help from an interpreter. I was so proud of myself. And I didn't get ripped off either! The lady selling the flowers was very helpful and patient and I think she really appreciated that I tried to speak Russian.

I also study with Pimsleur's Russian 1 audio, usually while I drive to/from work. It's a set of 30 lessons, intended for 1 each day, so you can finish the whole set in a month. I found myself listening to 1 lesson, then repeating it the next day before I went on the the next lesson. That's worked for me. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

I also have a PDA with an electronic dictionary, and I used it a little to translate more complex, uncommon words that weren't in the phrasebook. But, by far, the phrasebook has been the BEST investment!

I've been to Russia 4 times in the past year, and I'm going back at the end of next month for my wife's K-3 interview! WOOHOO!!! :dance: She's coming back with me!!!! YEA!!!!! And I'll be using my phrasebook a little more! :)

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

I can't say it enough:

Lonely Planet Russian Phrasebook + Pimsleur Russian = Impressed Russian girls. (And isn't that what we're all after!)

Русский форум член.

I've been to Russia 4 times in the past year, and I'm going back at the end of next month for my wife's K-3 interview! WOOHOO!!! :dance: She's coming back with me!!!! YEA!!!!! And I'll be using my phrasebook a little more! :)

So you were able to do a K-3 with her in Russia... this is helpful for me because if I do a K-1 next time I'm at the mercy of an IMBRA waiver request... which I'm thinking about already...

When/If it comes time to do this, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Thanks for the info!

-- Dan

I can't say it enough:

Lonely Planet Russian Phrasebook + Pimsleur Russian = Impressed Russian girls. (And isn't that what we're all after!)

Actually no, it's not impressing them that I'm after... it's finding one that I'm truly compatible with and madly in love with, and she's madly in love with me...

Now granted, it HELPS to make a good impression first, it's hard for someone to love ya if you make a bad impression from the start... ;)

But hey... it ain't just the plethora of "Impressed Russian Girls" that I'm after...

I'm after a long-term long-loving ONE Russian woman (and ok, if she has a daughter, that counts as a girl, right?) LOL

-- Dan

Timeline
So you were able to do a K-3 with her in Russia... this is helpful for me because if I do a K-1 next time I'm at the mercy of an IMBRA waiver request... which I'm thinking about already...

When/If it comes time to do this, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Thanks for the info!

-- Dan

A little more detail about us...

We started the K-1 visa, and I took a stupid pill and hired one of those (stinkin' and expensive) immigration lawyers. Well, he delayed filing our I129F for THREE MONTHS, due to various "reasons" (lost our documents, his secretary had a death in the family, he moved offices, etc. etc.), and we became impatient and got married in January.

By the time we got our K-3 filed, IMBRA had already kicked in. We cancelled the K-1 (After they'd already scheduled the K-1 interview) and haven't had any issues with the K-3.

Why would you need an IMBRA waiver? Isn't that only if you had two or more previous petitions approved?

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Wow.

I really shouldn't have wandered in here.

Russian women as a commodity.

"Hey Bob! I'm going to the Russian Babe Store! You wanna go with me?"

*wanders back out of the Russia forum in shock*

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Why would you need an IMBRA waiver? Isn't that only if you had two or more previous petitions approved?

In 2002 I had a Russian fiancee. We had an I-129F approval in March 2003. In April 2003, we ended the relationship, consider it a case of Russian "cold feet" perhaps.

Before she ever had an interview or a Visa issued, I withdrew the petition voluntarily, but this STILL counts as an approval (#1) since the I-129F had been approved and the interview was being scheduled.

Later that year, I met another Russian woman from the same town and later we became engaged, she came over here in June 2004 on a K-1 (my #2), and we were married, and then recently divorced...

So yes, I've had TWO previous petitions approved, even though I withdrew the first one voluntarily, this still counts....

So that's why I'd need an IMBRA waiver if I were to ever do this again.

-- Dan

Edited by PurrSuede

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Wow.

I really shouldn't have wandered in here.

Russian women as a commodity.

"Hey Bob! I'm going to the Russian Babe Store! You wanna go with me?"

PlatyPius, don't worry, more than half of these bought Russian brides will have the last laugh when they divorce their spouses with a green card in hand in less than 3 years. A small price to pay to get out of Russia when you are a young, beautiful, and intelligent lady with a whole future ahead of yourself.

Timeline
Wow.

My wife and I met the old fashion way (in person, in the states), so I have very limited knowledge of marriage brokers. Personally, I have no interest in being married to anyone anymore.

I don't see how this is any different than personal ads, which seem quite popular on the internet. The only difference might be that everyone involved is serious about marriage.

On of my friends nearby met and married a Ukranian woman through such a service. Their marriage is far more succesful than mine was. She has a wonderful husband, and it is unlikely she would have met someone like him in Ukraine. Because of his profession (Physicist), most women in the US have no interest in him (very smart, very eccentric).

I think that we should all try to remember that different people are here for different reasons. In my experience, the intentions of just about everyone here have been sincere.

I can only speak about my situation, which was the most important relationship I have had in my life.

I think that this forum being dominated by men does cause the language used here to appear crass at times, but the general impression I get here is quite positive.

Just my 2 cents.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Wow.

My wife and I met the old fashion way (in person, in the states), so I have very limited knowledge of marriage brokers. Personally, I have no interest in being married to anyone anymore.

I don't see how this is any different than personal ads, which seem quite popular on the internet. The only difference might be that everyone involved is serious about marriage.

On of my friends nearby met and married a Ukranian woman through such a service. Their marriage is far more succesful than mine was. She has a wonderful husband, and it is unlikely she would have met someone like him in Ukraine. Because of his profession (Physicist), most women in the US have no interest in him (very smart, very eccentric).

I think that we should all try to remember that different people are here for different reasons. In my experience, the intentions of just about everyone here have been sincere.

I can only speak about my situation, which was the most important relationship I have had in my life.

I think that this forum being dominated by men does cause the language used here to appear crass at times, but the general impression I get here is quite positive.

Just my 2 cents.

Got the phrase book. Love the section on romance, some pretty funny stuff there. Hope I get to use some of it.

:devil:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.