blueskyes

Yikes.... I have been flagged at the border!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Before we knew anything about K-1 Visas, my fiance was "flagged" at the border. he has NO criminal record. We thought he could go back and forth to work in Canada and still help me in the US with my parents. I am a US citizen. Does anyone know if this will give him an automatic problem at the border when he comes to visit?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

each crossing is completely up the the poe guard at the time. it will be put in the computer and the next time he crosses he may be extra scrutinized and pulled into secondary.

lord knows this happened 3 times to me. and each time i was refused entry. it did not harm our petition at all. i actually waited a whole year before i tried to cross again, once we learned and started the k1 process. i also made sure to bring my k1 petition etc with me to show i was doing things the legal way. and i had to make sure i had lots of ties to Canada.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In 2009 I was fingerprinted and photographed. In 2010 I had no problem at the POE. I didn't even think there might have been some problems :) No extra questions from the POE guard either.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am wondering if it all depends on the individual situation. My son in law was denied entry a few years back. We tried to cross a couple of years ago at a Vancouver crossing, we all got brought in. He is the only one they talked to and only he was told if he tried to reenter without obtaining a US pardon (which is a very expensive long process...we think it's bad for a K1 visa!) he would be held for an immigration hearing. Could you call the border where you are crossing and get clarification on why you were denied entry? or example, I know people who cannot cross because they have a DUI. Again, everyone has different experiences,good luck!

Lise

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would like to clarify. I was never denied entry. They just got my fingerprints and had a picture taken at POE for some reason. And this only happened one time. I know they did the same thing to other people and they weren't denied entry either.

I had to get visa every time though, so basically if they didn't want to let me into the country, they would've just denied my visa. But since I also don't have any criminal records as well and never broke any rules, they didn't have a reason.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Like Kimbear said, it is up to the officer, and each time you/he might have a different experience. If your fiance has no criminal record or pending charges, he can try to cross again bringing ties to Canada with him. If he is denied entry, it has no effect on the K-1 process, just on your travel plans :P

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am wondering if it all depends on the individual situation. My son in law was denied entry a few years back. We tried to cross a couple of years ago at a Vancouver crossing, we all got brought in. He is the only one they talked to and only he was told if he tried to reenter without obtaining a US pardon (which is a very expensive long process...we think it's bad for a K1 visa!) he would be held for an immigration hearing. Could you call the border where you are crossing and get clarification on why you were denied entry? or example, I know people who cannot cross because they have a DUI. Again, everyone has different experiences,good luck!

Lise

Canada is rough on any DUI. There was a bridge painting job there about 5 years ago and they desparately needed painters since not many do that kind of work at heights like that, all my qualifications were there. The Superintendant interviewed me over the phone and said it require a Passport/Visa. I stated I had a DUI in 1989. The Company Attourney said we can't hire him. Canada is rough on that. Kinda funny though. In 1983 I went to Alaska to roof and crossed the border with no problem into Canada and Alaska here I come. Being young at that time I think I know why, I went right through the border without exchanging USA for Canada Money. And I'll tell you. The Canadians knew I was USC. They screwed me out of every dollar I had. ($4.00 USD for a Thermos of Coffee in 1983) LOL

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lise

usually if your denied entry you get a paper saying why. i did, each time as well as fingerprinted and photographed. You can call the border if you like not sure if they would give the info out on the phone though.

HWDWm6.png

In 2009 I was fingerprinted and photographed. In 2010 I had no problem at the POE. I didn't even think there might have been some problems :) No extra questions from the POE guard either.

I would like to clarify. I was never denied entry. They just got my fingerprints and had a picture taken at POE for some reason. And this only happened one time. I know they did the same thing to other people and they weren't denied entry either.

I had to get visa every time though, so basically if they didn't want to let me into the country, they would've just denied my visa. But since I also don't have any criminal records as well and never broke any rules, they didn't have a reason.

It is possible I misunderstand you here, but isn't it standard procedure to get everyone, both visitors and permanent residents (citizens are exempted), fingerprinted and photographed? It's part of the US-VISIT program (http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/usv.shtm). But, like I said, it is possible I misunderstood what you were saying here.

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.