3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi all. As you know, an AOS is expensive. It is much more expensive when you hire a lawyer as my wife and I did. We should be filing next week, and we are both excited/nervous/anxious. My question is this - Once she receives her EAD, she is legally able to work as a citizen or permanent resident would, correct? There would be no issues in her finding work? Also, for those of you who have gone through the process, are employers less likely to hire a person in this position? I know legally they are not "allowed" to do that, but has it been difficult to find work? (even more so than it already is)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all. As you know, an AOS is expensive. It is much more expensive when you hire a lawyer as my wife and I did. We should be filing next week, and we are both excited/nervous/anxious. My question is this - Once she receives her EAD, she is legally able to work as a citizen or permanent resident would, correct? There would be no issues in her finding work? Also, for those of you who have gone through the process, are employers less likely to hire a person in this position? I know legally they are not "allowed" to do that, but has it been difficult to find work? (even more so than it already is)

Once she has EAD + SSN she has no other legal requirement, she can work for any employeer she wishes for.

Most employeer would not care if you have EAD - as long as employeer does not have to do anything with immigration they are fine :)

Once she gets her EAD, she will have to go get a Social Security Number (unless she already had one). That will add a couple weeks wait, and then after that, yes, she can work like anyone else. If she has no work history in the US, she might consider putting something on her resume like "I am able to work is the US for any employer" but more eloquent... my brain can't think of the right phrase at the moment... argh! Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.