Mal and Meg

Help with getting driving licence

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi i know this is probably the wrong section to put this in so move it if you wish.

My question is i am a type one diabetic who relys on insulin. Due to this for me to drive in Minnesota and get my licence it says i need a not from a doctor to sy my condition is stable, I am wondering will my letter i got from my doctor in the UK that i used in the immigration process suffice?

As it says my condition is stable and states my insulin i use! Also i have a UK licence so will this have any bearing?

Thanks

K1 Timeline
07/01/10- K1 Mailed
07/16/10- NOA1 Hardcopy
12/15/10- NOA2 Hardcopy Received
02/16/11- Interview at 10am London Embassy
02/24/11- Visa in Hand
02/27/11- POE - Minneapolis

AOS Timeline
04/22/11- AOS, EAD, AP sent today
04/28/11- AOS, EAD, AP Notice Date
05/04/11- Hard copy of NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP
05/12/11- Early Biometric walk in(Scheduled for 05/31/2011)
05/12/11- I-485 Case Transferred to CSC
06/13/11- AOS approved, card production ordered
06/20/11- Green Card Recieved

ROC Timeline

04/25/13- ROC package sent

04/26/13- ROC pack delivered

Hi i know this is probably the wrong section to put this in so move it if you wish.

My question is i am a type one diabetic who relys on insulin. Due to this for me to drive in Minnesota and get my licence it says i need a not from a doctor to sy my condition is stable, I am wondering will my letter i got from my doctor in the UK that i used in the immigration process suffice?

As it says my condition is stable and states my insulin i use! Also i have a UK licence so will this have any bearing?

Thanks

As far as getting a licence is concerned, because us Brits drive on the other side of the road, you will probably have to re-take both the theory and driving test itself all over again. This is by no means a hard and fast rule, but if you look up your states DMV website you should be able to get more answers. The pain is, I have read many threads on VJ, that they won't let you take the test until you at least have your EAD in hand.

As for your medical question. You can either ask the civil surgeon if there is anything they can do to help you, whilst you are getting your vaccination results transcribed. I think this would be highly unlikely.

Or as soon as you get married, add yourself to your other halfs insurance and make an appointment to get it sorted through their doctor.

ROC Timeline

4-26-13------Eligible to file for ROC

6-17-13------Sent off I-751 Package

6-19-13------VSC Received our package. Signed for by K. Fitzgerald

6-24-13------Received NOA in the mail, dated 6-20-13

6-24-13------Check Cashed

7-05-13------Received Biometrics Appointment letter in the mail for 7-18-13

7-18-13------Biometrics done

8-20-13------Case Transferred to CSC for further processing

8-24-13------Transfer notice arrived in the mail today

10-21-13----ROC Approved!

10-25-13----Received approval letter in the mail

10-28-13----Production of 10 Yr Green Card ordered

11-01-13----Card has been mailed!....Received USPS tracking number

11-04-13----10yr Green Card arrived in the mail today....Yay!!

2gsxvmz.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks

Your UK license has no bearing here in the states. I had an international permit when I arrived and if you want a state license after you are married you will have to sit for the pc test and do a driving test as well. You can't get this depending on where you live without you EAD or GC depends on the state. You would have to go to a doctor here to get your letter about your Diabetes. Just remember as we drove on the opposite side of the road it takes some getting used to driving here so make sure you can get the opportunity when you can as we tend to look in the opposite direction at first when pulling out from road ways and driveways, that was what I had to get used to.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

I am wondering will my letter i got from my doctor in the UK that i used in the immigration process suffice?

As it says my condition is stable and states my insulin i use!

I would present the letter from your UK doctor. Who knows you better than your family doctor? It's in English, so they should accept that and get the information they need on your medical condition. Worth a try.

As for your medical question. You can either ask the civil surgeon if there is anything they can do to help you, whilst you are getting your vaccination results transcribed.

If you got the required shots recorded at Knightsbridge, then you won't have to go to a civil surgeon for AOS paperwork.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I would present the letter from your UK doctor. Who knows you better than your family doctor? It's in English, so they should accept that and get the information they need on your medical condition. Worth a try.

If you got the required shots recorded at Knightsbridge, then you won't have to go to a civil surgeon for AOS paperwork.

You can give a shot, but most DMV folks are not even aware of the various visa types and the eligibility and they accepting a letter from Doc from UK would be difficult, but you can give a try.

I have been on various Visa and I have always lived in Tx and I already had my US drivers lic. When I got my CR1 around same time I had to change my address on the lic and dumb DMV ppl did not even know what CR1 visa was - first they told me they cannot issue a lic on the CR1 visa and I had a good laugh at her and asked her to check with her supervisor, she had no clue either and she had to call someone to check what CR1 visa was.

This all happen in DFW metroplex area and not some rural DMV in which case I would atleast give them benefit of doubt. :)

My response wasn't about legalities of being issued a license or visa types. She knows how to get a license and knows it requires a medical note about her diabetic condition. Her only question is about the NOTE.

My comment was to say I would present a letter written by the doctor who has actually treated her for a long time. He happens to be in the UK, but since it's written in English they should have no problem reading the information they seek. If that fails, then she can go chase down a doctor who knows nothing about her medical history and try to get a note.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

That makes sense. Many thanks for the info.

ROC Timeline

4-26-13------Eligible to file for ROC

6-17-13------Sent off I-751 Package

6-19-13------VSC Received our package. Signed for by K. Fitzgerald

6-24-13------Received NOA in the mail, dated 6-20-13

6-24-13------Check Cashed

7-05-13------Received Biometrics Appointment letter in the mail for 7-18-13

7-18-13------Biometrics done

8-20-13------Case Transferred to CSC for further processing

8-24-13------Transfer notice arrived in the mail today

10-21-13----ROC Approved!

10-25-13----Received approval letter in the mail

10-28-13----Production of 10 Yr Green Card ordered

11-01-13----Card has been mailed!....Received USPS tracking number

11-04-13----10yr Green Card arrived in the mail today....Yay!!

2gsxvmz.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Let me get this straight.. no need for civil surgeon if on your DS-3025 it states the vaccinations you got before your medical? ..i.e- do you do anything with that I-693, or just send in a copy of DS-3025? I've seen conflicting responses and I am trying to get ahead to prepare for AOS

09-10-10 | Sent 129F to Texas lockbox

09-13-10 | NOA1 received

02-03-11 | NOA2 finally received

02-08-11 | NOA2 hardcopy

02-17-11 | NVC received

02-25-11 | Consulate received

03-03-11 | Packet 3 received

03-04-11 | Packet 3 sent

03-11-11 | Medical

03-28-11 | Interview!

03-31-11 | Visa Received

04-15-11 | POE Chicago

Let me get this straight.. no need for civil surgeon if on your DS-3025 it states the vaccinations you got before your medical? ..i.e- do you do anything with that I-693, or just send in a copy of DS-3025? I've seen conflicting responses and I am trying to get ahead to prepare for AOS

Usually better to start your own thread but if you read the instructions, no, you don't technically need an I-693 if your DS-3025 states your vaccinations are complete.

Some people were getting RFEs for I-693s even with a complete DS-3025, so now I think most just cough up the $40-80 odd to get the I-693 for peace of mind.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

I'll PM you on that one since it's off topic in this thread.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.