robhankins

Flying Domestically in US on Tourist Visa with expired I-94

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A girlfriend of my wife is here in the US on a tourist visa that doesn't expire until 2012 but her I-94 expired about 5 years ago. Can she fly domestically (like from Los Angeles to Dallas) with her valid passport? I don't want her to get deported by trying to get on a flight with an expired I-94.

Edited by robhankins

03/20/2006 - I-129F - Sent FedEX

03/28/2006 - NOA 1 (Receipt) - NOA issued from CSC

07/03/2006 - RFE (Receipt) - RFE Received

07/07/2006 - RFE and Waiver Request - RFE arrived at CSC

09/01/2006 - NOA2 - USCIS Email - Approved w/Waiver

09/22/2006 - Electronic Version - Manila - Embassy Received

12/13/2006 - Packet 4 Received via DHL

12/21/2007 - Medical St. Lukes

12/22/2006 - St. Luke's canceled medical in progress - required additional tests in Jan for upper respiratory congestion.

12/28/2006 - Interview Canceled because of congestion and cough during medical at St. Lukes

01/09/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/10/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/11/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/12/2007 - St. Luke's for pulmonary exam - EVERYTHING CLEAR

01/15/2007 - St. Luke's for vaccinations and release of medical to USE

02/26/2007 - Interview APPROVED - 11+ months for K1 Visa

03/05/2007 - Visa in hand

03/05/2007 - CFO Completed

03/06/2007 - Arrived in Dallas

04/29/2007 - Married in Dallas

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The validity of her tourist visa isn't the issue. Her authorized say ended 5 years ago. The I-94 lists the dates that she is permitted to be in the US. She is out of status and is subject to deportation

Just an FYI

She can fly domestically but no guarentee that she won't be inspected or caught

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yep agree with CW - legally she is out of status for last 5 years when her I-94 got expired and she is in the country illegally.

Tourist visa is only valid until the date that is printed on I-94.

No gurantee, when she shows her passport someone can look at her I-94 and she could be deported, but that is not just flying that can happen any place now days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No gurantee, when she shows her passport someone can look at her I-94 and she could be deported, but that is not just flying that can happen any place now days.

Agree, she could be pulled over for speeding these days and deported

Keep her safe, send her home!

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

In order to board a plane on a domestic flight from one US destination to another US destination, she has to show a valid and acceptable from of ID, commonly known as a government or US-state issued ID. If her Philippines passport is still valid, that's all she needs.

The airline personal at the check-in counter doesn't engage in immigration checks, and she does not have to pass Customs and Border patrol on an inland fight either. Of course, the airport is full of CBP people, but unless she does something that gets their attention, like screaming at the new nude x-ray scanners "you won't be seeing my hot body naked, you pervs!" the chances of being stopped and checked out are pretty slim.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

In order to board a plane on a domestic flight from one US destination to another US destination, she has to show a valid and acceptable from of ID, commonly known as a government or US-state issued ID. If her Philippines passport is still valid, that's all she needs.

The airline personal at the check-in counter doesn't engage in immigration checks, and she does not have to pass Customs and Border patrol on an inland fight either. Of course, the airport is full of CBP people, but unless she does something that gets their attention, like screaming at the new nude x-ray scanners "you won't be seeing my hot body naked, you pervs!" the chances of being stopped and checked out are pretty slim.

I would not completely agree with Bob's statement, I am frequent flier (twice in a week) and I have seen some TSA agent flip thru the passport and see the visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would not completely agree with Bob's statement, I am frequent flier (twice in a week) and I have seen some TSA agent flip thru the passport and see the visa.

Yes, I agree. Depending on the airline agent, someone might feel compelled to alert an immigration officer. Just knowing this could make her very nervous.

03/20/2006 - I-129F - Sent FedEX

03/28/2006 - NOA 1 (Receipt) - NOA issued from CSC

07/03/2006 - RFE (Receipt) - RFE Received

07/07/2006 - RFE and Waiver Request - RFE arrived at CSC

09/01/2006 - NOA2 - USCIS Email - Approved w/Waiver

09/22/2006 - Electronic Version - Manila - Embassy Received

12/13/2006 - Packet 4 Received via DHL

12/21/2007 - Medical St. Lukes

12/22/2006 - St. Luke's canceled medical in progress - required additional tests in Jan for upper respiratory congestion.

12/28/2006 - Interview Canceled because of congestion and cough during medical at St. Lukes

01/09/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/10/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/11/2007 - St. Luke's for 3 consecutive days of "sputum tests and finish medical"

01/12/2007 - St. Luke's for pulmonary exam - EVERYTHING CLEAR

01/15/2007 - St. Luke's for vaccinations and release of medical to USE

02/26/2007 - Interview APPROVED - 11+ months for K1 Visa

03/05/2007 - Visa in hand

03/05/2007 - CFO Completed

03/06/2007 - Arrived in Dallas

04/29/2007 - Married in Dallas

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.