JohnSmith2007

White House: Helping install 'a democratic system' is goal in Libya

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

So much for the original goal of protecting the people.

White House: Helping install 'a democratic system' is goal in Libya

By Sam Youngman - 03/22/11 10:23 AM ET

The White House suggested Tuesday the mission in Libya is one of regime change, despite emphatic statements from President Obama and military brass that the goal is not to remove Moammar Gadhafi from power.

According to a White House readout of a Monday night call between Obama and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the two leaders "underscored their shared commitment to the goal of helping provide the Libyan people an opportunity to transform their country, by installing a democratic system that respects the people’s will."

The term "installing" suggests the goal of regime change.

The White House was emphatic Tuesday in insisting there was no change to the U.S. military mission.

In an e-mail, White House press secretary Jay Carney said the military mission was clearly focused on protecting civilians. He also noted Obama's remark Monday that Gadhafi is no longer fit to lead.

From the onset of the strikes against Libya, senior administration officials have said the goal is to create an atmosphere where Libyan rebels would be able to oust Gadhafi from power.

Obama has struggled to reconcile the stated U.S. policy of wanting Gadhafi out of power with the U.N. mission of protecting the Libyan people.

At a press conference Monday in Chile, Obama said it is "very easy to square our military actions and our stated policies."

But the president faces an increasingly hostile backlash from Capitol Hill about the specific definition of the mission.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/151191-white-house-suggests-regime-change-is-goal-of-libya-mission?page=1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

it's times like these that the sheep need to realize our Government is out of control.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

I wonder what the next step will be? If this so called "no fly zone", which is in reality close air support for the rebels, fails to topple MG what then? If the UN passes a resolution to put boots on the ground will the cheerleaders for this war still support it? Where will it end?

There are a lot of places in the world where our goal is to transition to a democratic system. However that does not automatically mean that we will be putting troops on the ground to do it. Of course for some conservatives military force is the only way to accomplish that goal.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Of course it's regime change - they just want the Rebels to do it. Traditionally that's how these things were done - throughout the 20th century.

If they're lucky - the air strikes will enable the rebels to overthrow the Gaddafi regime. If they're unlucky - you'll get the Bay of Pigs all over again.

Edited by fishdude

So 0bama is the latest to "join club" of POTUS's who find out "hard way" that democracy is totally-incompatible with Islam for the region between Tangier and Shakargarh.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.