Justin.IraLove

Issue: PASSPORT NAME

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My passport has my maiden name on it, Im in the us now on my K1- I have my 2 year permanent resident card in my Married name. The question I have is if I need to change the name on my passport to my married name before traveling outside the USA? Can I get a US passport yet? Or do i need to get a name change from philippines passport? The ticket is in my Married name as well. Thanks.

bd9a807528.png

K-1 Visa

Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-06

NVC Received : 2009-08-10

NVC Left : 2009-08-13

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-22

Interview Date : 2009-09-25

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2009-10-1 (about 6 Months, 13days)

US Entry : 2009-11-02

AOS Interview: 2010-03-22

Timeline

Maybe someone can give you a clearer answer but this is how i understand it.

You cannot get a US passport until you are a US citizen so you must use your Philippine passport.

It's ok to have your maiden name on your passport and your married name on your green card. However your ticket should match your passport so you probably need to call the airline to clear this up.

07/28/2009 Met on LDSlinkup.com

09/04/2009 Relationship officially started

06/11/2010 Met in Philippines

06/30/2010 Traveled to Singapore together

07/05/2010 I had to go back to the US

07/22/2010 I-129F mailed

07/24/2010 Delivery confirmation says I-129F received. Waiting for NOA1

08/02/2010 Check Cashed still waiting for NOA1

08/05/2010 NOA 1 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 07/29/2010)

12/21/2010 NOA 2 received!!!!!!!!!!! (dated 12/14/2010)

12/29/2010 NVC letter

01/12/2011 Packet 3!!!!!

02/02/2011 Sent checklist back to embassy....Waiting for phone call....

03/03/2011 She had her interview...Lacking of evidence....told her what to get and told her to come back

03/30/2011 She went back to the embassy....This time we had everything...K-1 approved; not in hand yet

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My passport has my maiden name on it, Im in the us now on my K1- I have my 2 year permanent resident card in my Married name. The question I have is if I need to change the name on my passport to my married name before traveling outside the USA? Can I get a US passport yet? Or do i need to get a name change from philippines passport? The ticket is in my Married name as well. Thanks.

You may need to apply for amendment of your passport so it'll reflect your married name. It is better if the name on all of your documents are the same. You still are a conditional resident, so you cannot apply for a US passport yet. Wait til you get your unrestricted 10-yr greencard then upon successful fulfillment of the requirements for US citizenship and you became a US citizen, you can then apply for a US passport. For the meantime, visit the Philippine Embassy website for more info on passport amendment procedures.

We are going through the same process now. What the Philippines Embassy told us is that you must register your marriage with NSO. After registering you will receive a document from them showing that your marriage is registered in the Philippines, and your new married name. At that time the Embassy will renew your passport in your married name. Since you appear to be not too far from Washington DC, you can go to the Embassy there, and they will allow you to do both functions simultaneously. All the information and forms are on the Embassy of the Philippines website. Here is a cut and paste of the requirements from the site:

AMENDMENT OF PASSPORTBasic Requirements for Amendment of Valid Passport (for Green Passport Holders)

A. Valid passport and one (1) photocopy of passport data page(s)

B. Duly accomplished application form signed by applicant

C. Amendment of Passport Processing Fee: US$20.00

D. In case of woman married in the Philippines: one (1) original or certified true copy and one (1) photocopy of Marriage Contract duly authenticated by the Philippine National Statistic Office (NSO) on Security Paper

E. In case of woman married abroad: Report of Marriage (see Report of Marriage requirements.)

You can travel with your maiden name in your passport and your married name on your permanent resident card you just need to travel with your marriage license to prove the name change. However your ticket must be in the name of your passport and it sounds like your ticket is in your married name so it might be best for you to change your passport before you leave as long as you have time. Otherwise I would contact the airline to see what you can do about the name on your ticket.

Have a good trip!

Timeline

Ive been reading and they say if i just bring the marriage certificate it would be fine? I dont have enough time to do name change before trip?

Green CARD: MARRIED NAME

Ticket: MARRIED NAME

Passport: MAIDEN NAME

bd9a807528.png

K-1 Visa

Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-19

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-08-06

NVC Received : 2009-08-10

NVC Left : 2009-08-13

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-22

Interview Date : 2009-09-25

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2009-10-1 (about 6 Months, 13days)

US Entry : 2009-11-02

AOS Interview: 2010-03-22

Ive been reading and they say if i just bring the marriage certificate it would be fine? I dont have enough time to do name change before trip?

Green CARD: MARRIED NAME

Ticket: MARRIED NAME

Passport: MAIDEN NAME

Traveling with the marriage certificate will be fine to document the name change from your passport to your greencard as far as immigration is concerned, that's how my husband and I do it when we travel. What I am worried about is the airline giving you a problem because your ticket is in your married name (and thus not matching your passport). This may or may not be an issue but I suggest calling the airline to see if they will allow you to travel with your marriage certificate as proof of the name change. If they say they won't allow it see if they will change the ticket to your maiden name. Like I said this may not be a problem but I would call and check just to avoid any problems at the airport.

good luck

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As long as you carry a CERTIFIED copy of your marriage license with you and have it ready for the agents when you go through security you should be fine. That is what the airline told us to do before we had the green card and it was no problem. Just showed it to the TSA person along with her passport and he checked it off as fine. The ticket was in her married name, passport maiden name.

You can always call the airline and double check, but I did just that and that's what they told us to do.

Edited by Tom and Teaw

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.