BLamb

DS-260 Form as of March 1st 2011

224 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay, now I just need to have some confirmation that we can indeed go to the window and request a copy. The new guy on the phone said you can't. But, several people on this forum say you can and that they have. Can we confirm for sure if this is okay?

(Again the guy may not of known what he was talking about).

I'll let you know on Monday after Robe tries it! I really don't see why not. I have gotten more misinformation from those reps than true information... I think they get just as confused as us when things are constantly changing. They told me last week that we can always go to the window to get a copy of the letter and that makes more sense to me. Why would you still have to wait for it to come in the mail?

I'll put us out there as guinea pigs, I still am not completely sure that what we're doing is gonna work but we're willing to take the risk and see what happens. Something will happen! And I'll let you all know what.

As far as DS-160 or 260... this is what it says on the homepage of the usvisa site now:

Important Note:

Most visa applicants in Mexico are required to visit an Applicant Service Center (ASC) prior to their consular section interview. The ASC staff collects the applicant's biometric information that will be reviewed by the consular section prior to the applicant's interview. The ASCs are located in buildings separate from the U.S. Embassy and Consulates. For more information, please click here

and when you click "here" it says this:

How to Get Started

An applicant will need the following before scheduling an appointment:

The passport number of each applicant.

Proof that the visa application fee has been paid for each applicant.

Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, DS-160 confirmation (barcode) number for each applicant.

•Additional information may be required based on the type of visa for which the applicant is applying. For example, a:

◦SEVIS number from the Form I-20 for Students or Form DS-2019 for Exchange Visitors

◦Petition Number from the Form I-797 for Temporary Work Visas

Case Number for Immigrant Visa applicants

The thing that is confusing is that the K visas are a hybrid type of visa and are referred to sometimes as "immigrant" and also sometimes as "non-immigrant". This is how it's defined on the usvisa site:

Fiancé(e) Visas are included in this section because even though they are technically nonimmigrant visas, they are processed by the immigrant visa unit.

So that's why I decided to try for the DS-160. Also there were a few slots that asked us what type of visa we were applying for and the drop down box gave "K" as an option. If you aren't sure if it's right try to fill it out and see what you think.

I still haven't come across the 260, do you guys think we should fill that out also to be sure? Where is it located?

Thanks for your feedback everybody!!!!

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

NOA2- January 24, 2011 (NOA1-NOA2: 154 days)

NVC Receive- January 31, 2011

NVC Sent- February 1, 2011

Consulate Receive- February 3, 2011

Consulate Sent Packet 3- March 10, 2011 (CDJ Receive-Packet 3 sent: 35 days)

Receive Packet 3 in U.S.- March 21, 2011

ASC Appointment- March 23, 2011

Interview- March 24, 2011

Crossed into the U.S.- April 7, 2011

A.O.S.

I-485 in the mail- June 14, 2011

I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox- June 16, 2011

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Also can they just email us the invitation since on their computer anyways? Has anyone tried that?

The reason I ask is because there is no point in waiting for this letter for several weeks. Also the mail system in Mexico is terrible and it could get lost.

Edited by thaiv

9/9/10: I-129F Sent

9/15/10: Received NOA1 via text/email from USCIS

9/16/10: Received NOA1 in mail (dated 9/13/10)

9/20/10: Touched!

10/03/10: Touched to the dusty shelves!

2/28/11: NOA2 finally

3/04/11: Arrived at NVC

3/08/11: Left NVC and arrived at CDJ consulate

4/04/11: Packet 3 sent

4/13/11: Packet 3 received!

4/18/11: Medical Exam

4/19/11: ASC

4/20/11: Interview (Approved!)

4/29/11: K-1 Visa in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/30/11: Entered USA

I'll let you know on Monday after Robe tries it! I really don't see why not. I have gotten more misinformation from those reps than true information... I think they get just as confused as us when things are constantly changing. They told me last week that we can always go to the window to get a copy of the letter and that makes more sense to me. Why would you still have to wait for it to come in the mail?

I'll put us out there as guinea pigs, I still am not completely sure that what we're doing is gonna work but we're willing to take the risk and see what happens. Something will happen! And I'll let you all know what.

As far as DS-160 or 260... this is what it says on the homepage of the usvisa site now:

Important Note:

Most visa applicants in Mexico are required to visit an Applicant Service Center (ASC) prior to their consular section interview. The ASC staff collects the applicant's biometric information that will be reviewed by the consular section prior to the applicant's interview. The ASCs are located in buildings separate from the U.S. Embassy and Consulates. For more information, please click here

and when you click "here" it says this:

How to Get Started

An applicant will need the following before scheduling an appointment:

The passport number of each applicant.

Proof that the visa application fee has been paid for each applicant.

Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, DS-160 confirmation (barcode) number for each applicant.

•Additional information may be required based on the type of visa for which the applicant is applying. For example, a:

◦SEVIS number from the Form I-20 for Students or Form DS-2019 for Exchange Visitors

◦Petition Number from the Form I-797 for Temporary Work Visas

Case Number for Immigrant Visa applicants

The thing that is confusing is that the K visas are a hybrid type of visa and are referred to sometimes as "immigrant" and also sometimes as "non-immigrant". This is how it's defined on the usvisa site:

Fiancé(e) Visas are included in this section because even though they are technically nonimmigrant visas, they are processed by the immigrant visa unit.

So that's why I decided to try for the DS-160. Also there were a few slots that asked us what type of visa we were applying for and the drop down box gave "K" as an option. If you aren't sure if it's right try to fill it out and see what you think.

I still haven't come across the 260, do you guys think we should fill that out also to be sure? Where is it located?

Thanks for your feedback everybody!!!!

Thanks for the info and for being a guinea pig in this. I will try to call them to get more information. Also I am pretty sure you need to do the DS-260. See: http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/fianceforms.html and click on the link for the DS-260.

So today just for fun I went to http://ceac.state.gov/iv/ to see if I could log on to the DS-260 form. I did not know what to do about the Invoice ID Number so I called NVC and they gave me one. I also logged on to the http://mexico.usvisa-info.com site just to see if I could see how it works. I put my own US passport in and the other details and could log in. It seems like I could go all the way, pay the fee, and choose an interview date if I wanted to. This all seems strange to me given that Juarez has not sent out my letter yet.

Any insights to this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thaiv, you can do anything you want beforehand but you wont be able to get in CDJ building without an appointment letter. I looked at your timeline and they should be sending your letter mid April (4-6 weeks from when NVC sends it). Also dont worry about never getting letter, both US & MX fiance's get the letter and you can use either one. They told me earliest to get letter is 5 business days, but could take up to 15.

The reason I'm waiting for my physical letter:

Its not like before, there are now steps to follow and set up appts. Also the requirements and forms keep changing and after April 1st there will be a requirement on one of the forms.

Timeline

So today just for fun I went to http://ceac.state.gov/iv/ to see if I could log on to the DS-260 form. I did not know what to do about the Invoice ID Number so I called NVC and they gave me one. I also logged on to the http://mexico.usvisa-info.com site just to see if I could see how it works. I put my own US passport in and the other details and could log in. It seems like I could go all the way, pay the fee, and choose an interview date if I wanted to. This all seems strange to me given that Juarez has not sent out my letter yet.

Any insights to this?

Hmmmm, well at no point was I asked if I had the packet 3 except on the phone when I finally was able to schedule the interview. Maybe you can do it before hand... but you'd still need the invitation to get into your medical and most likely your interview as well. I've read that some people have made appointments in the past with the K-1 visas for various personal reasons even when the appointments were open. Here's a recent discussion with someone who made one a couple months back for next week.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/299809-help-please/

Also in this discussion they had put the petitioner's passport number to enter and it took it initially but was not correct. They want the beneficiary's passport number.

So we went ahead and filled out the DS-260 today and it is identical to the DS-160 except for a few minor questions. As someone pointed out earlier there was one question about the petitioner's relationship to the beneficiary and since there was no option for fiance we had to choose spouse. We finished and Robe signed it electronically and printed out a confirmation with number and barcode same as the other form. He's going to bring both to the fingerprint appointment and interview since it wasn't clear who wanted them, either.

Vamos a ver!!!

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

A.O.S.

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Sounds good. I just got off the phone from the 703 number. The guy said that you do need the letter, but if you do not have it you can print it off over there (as they have said before). This time he did say that the appointment is not open but needs to be scheduled either online or on the phone with them.

Another question:

I have been looking at some timelines for Mexico and sometimes it takes a week or more to receive the visa after the interview was approved. Is this because they received it in another city other than Juarez? If you are there in Juarez how long does it take to have the visa in hand?

Timeline

Another question:

I have been looking at some timelines for Mexico and sometimes it takes a week or more to receive the visa after the interview was approved. Is this because they received it in another city other than Juarez? If you are there in Juarez how long does it take to have the visa in hand?

In Juarez they say it's 2-10 business days. And from the timelines I've scoured I've never seen more than about 5 days, recently the few I've seen are 2 or 3 days. DHL is open until 2 on Sats there though I'm not sure if it's possible for it to arrive Sat since the consulate is closed. I think it's entirely possible to arrive on a Mon and if you could schedule an interview for Tues or Wed, and do your medical and ASC the day before, to be out by Fri. We'll see how long it takes with Robe's Thurs appointment... I'm thinking Fri if a small miracle occurs but probably Mon or Tues.

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

A.O.S.

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

In Juarez they say it's 2-10 business days. And from the timelines I've scoured I've never seen more than about 5 days, recently the few I've seen are 2 or 3 days. DHL is open until 2 on Sats there though I'm not sure if it's possible for it to arrive Sat since the consulate is closed. I think it's entirely possible to arrive on a Mon and if you could schedule an interview for Tues or Wed, and do your medical and ASC the day before, to be out by Fri. We'll see how long it takes with Robe's Thurs appointment... I'm thinking Fri if a small miracle occurs but probably Mon or Tues.

Thanks again for the useful info. Do keep us up to date on how the interview process goes for you all.

Timeline

Well, it doesn't hurt to fill out both forms after all...Better safe than sorry! You never know with these people so better off being prepared.

Thanks for all the useful info you have shared to all, C_Maria!

Edited by Danilu

Timeline

The only good thing about this is new step is that we can have visa sent to a DHL office near my fiance's city (DF).

We are going to have visa sent to her city as opposed to Juarez for the following reasons:

-From what I have seen most get their visa the next day, but this is NOT guaranteed and can take up to a week! *Note: Make sure you are not going during a week that has a MX or US holiday (http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/holidays.html) as well the second Wednesday and last Friday of every month (http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Mexico&cty=Juarez) otherwise you add another day of hotel,etc.

-Despite people saying the new CDJ area is safe, Juarez in general is one of THE most dangerous cities in the world so IMO the sooner you can leave the better.

Edited by Matt :)

[quote name=Matt :)' timestamp='1300556466' post='4552281]

The only good thing about this is new step is that we can have visa sent to a DHL office near my fiance's city (DF).

We are going to have visa sent to her city as opposed to Juarez for the following reasons:

-From what I have seen most get their visa the next day, but this is NOT guaranteed and can take up to a week! *Note: Make sure you are not going during a week that has a MX or US holiday (http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/holidays.html) as well the second Wednesday and last Friday of every month (http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Mexico&cty=Juarez) otherwise you add another day of hotel,etc.

-Despite people saying the new CDJ area is safe, Juarez in general is one of THE most dangerous cities in the world so IMO the sooner you can leave the better.

Good point Matt. This is one thing they improved. Better would be to offer the K-1 at the US Embassy in Mexico City, since its in the central part of the country and one of the most safest places in Mexico now.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello All. We just got back from the ASC appointment here in Juarez, so thought I would share. We originally made the appointment online after we paid the fees (also online) and filled out the DS-260 form online and printed the confirmation pages. We arrived at the ACS, which is attached to the consulate, about 15 minute before the appointment time. The guard out front asked to see our appointment letter which was the confirmation page we printed after it was scheduled, our passports, and the letter with the date of our interview. We were not allowed to bring anything inside, no cell phones, nothing metal, they even took my son's pack of gum and threw it away.(yes we HAD to schedule an appointment online for a K-1 visa now, it was NOT an open appointment. Once inside they gave us a number and then called us up immediately. They asked for our DS-260 confirmation pages passports, and appointment letter. Most people did not have the DS-260 confirmation pages and were turned away. They took our pictures, did the fingerprints, stamped the DS-260 confirmation pages as "received" and told us to be 1/2 hour early to our interview on Tuesday and to be sure to bring the DS-260 forms that they have now stamped with us. The whole process took less than 5 minutes, as we had all of our paperwork in order. They seemed a litte suprised that we had actually done the DS-260 form ahead of time. Like I said most poor people had to leave.

We were able to schedule the ASC appointment right after we scheduled the interview appointment and they gave us dates that coincided with our interview appointment.

Hope this helps everyone who are as confused as we have been. Will update on Tuesday after the interview!!!

Timeline

Hello All. We just got back from the ASC appointment here in Juarez, so thought I would share. We originally made the appointment online after we paid the fees (also online) and filled out the DS-260 form online and printed the confirmation pages. We arrived at the ACS, which is attached to the consulate, about 15 minute before the appointment time. The guard out front asked to see our appointment letter which was the confirmation page we printed after it was scheduled, our passports, and the letter with the date of our interview. We were not allowed to bring anything inside, no cell phones, nothing metal, they even took my son's pack of gum and threw it away.(yes we HAD to schedule an appointment online for a K-1 visa now, it was NOT an open appointment. Once inside they gave us a number and then called us up immediately. They asked for our DS-260 confirmation pages passports, and appointment letter. Most people did not have the DS-260 confirmation pages and were turned away. They took our pictures, did the fingerprints, stamped the DS-260 confirmation pages as "received" and told us to be 1/2 hour early to our interview on Tuesday and to be sure to bring the DS-260 forms that they have now stamped with us. The whole process took less than 5 minutes, as we had all of our paperwork in order. They seemed a litte suprised that we had actually done the DS-260 form ahead of time. Like I said most poor people had to leave.

We were able to schedule the ASC appointment right after we scheduled the interview appointment and they gave us dates that coincided with our interview appointment.

Hope this helps everyone who are as confused as we have been. Will update on Tuesday after the interview!!!

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

A.O.S.

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.