FormerlyKnownAs

Come on State Department!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am trying so hard to be patient in awaiting the announcement from the State Department that they've dropped the travel restrictions to Egypt, but not a peep so far. I just heard that we've got 2 US Senators in Cairo as we speak, so obviously they felt it was safe enough to travel. The Egyptian people are launching some grassroots efforts to promote tourism there, which the country's economy desperately needs. Let's just all cross our fingers and hope for an announcement soon!

Regardless of whether we get an announcement or not, I will be heading to Cairo myself on the 9th of March. It's a *great* time to visit the tourist spots since the crowds are mostly non-existent. I've been to all of those spots before, but I might just have to make a couple of trips out to the pyramids anyway! The laser light show was fun in a ridiculously silly sort of way, might opt to check it out again while it's not crowded.

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am trying so hard to be patient in awaiting the announcement from the State Department that they've dropped the travel restrictions to Egypt, but not a peep so far. I just heard that we've got 2 US Senators in Cairo as we speak, so obviously they felt it was safe enough to travel. The Egyptian people are launching some grassroots efforts to promote tourism there, which the country's economy desperately needs. Let's just all cross our fingers and hope for an announcement soon!

Regardless of whether we get an announcement or not, I will be heading to Cairo myself on the 9th of March. It's a *great* time to visit the tourist spots since the crowds are mostly non-existent. I've been to all of those spots before, but I might just have to make a couple of trips out to the pyramids anyway! The laser light show was fun in a ridiculously silly sort of way, might opt to check it out again while it's not crowded.

I hope that you hae a safe flight should you go. I wonder if the State Department post a trvel alert/warning for a particular country, would one have difficulty going through security? Best wishes and be safe.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Which countries are you flying through? I think that because of the uncertainity of Libya may be why they haven't lifted the travel adviory for Egypt yet. Regardless, have fun and enjoy being with your hubby!!! Take lots of pictures and let us know how things are "first hand"~ Wish I was flying with you!!!!:innocent:

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

There are no travel restrictions to Egypt. It's only a warning for you to defer non-essential travel and a guide for you to be safe if you do choose to go. If you find yourself in danger the embassy will likely not be able to help. That's it. You can come and go to Egypt as you please.

I once traveled to Algeria with our son just days after a travel warning was issued. There had been a series of about 5 warnings over the course of a year. They were all very similar to this one issued last april

The Department of State urges U.S. citizens who travel to Algeria to evaluate carefully the risks posed to their personal safety. Terrorist attacks, including bombings, false roadblocks, kidnappings, ambushes, and assassinations occur regularly, particularly in the Kabylie region of the country. Since early 2007, the use of suicide bomb attacks, particularly vehicle-borne attacks, has emerged as a terrorist tactic in Algeria, including in the capital. The group that claimed credit for the December 11, 2007, suicide car-bomb attacks in Algiers has pledged more attacks against foreign targets, and specifically against American targets. The same group is believed to operate in Southern Algeria and has kidnapped foreigners in neighboring countries. This kidnapping threat was noted in the Department of States Worldwide Caution, dated February 12, 2010.

The Department of State recommends that U.S. citizens avoid overland travel in Algeria. Americans who reside or travel in Algeria should take prudent security measures while in the country, including making provisions for reliable and experienced logistical support. Additionally, sporadic episodes of civil unrest have been known to occur. U.S. citizens should avoid large crowds and maintain security awareness at all times. Visitors to Algeria are advised to stay only in hotels where adequate security is provided. All visitors to Algeria should remain alert and adhere to prudent security practices such as avoiding predictable travel patterns and maintaining a low profile.

No problem entering or exiting the country and I only felt unsafe one time in spite of the numerous checkpoints throughout the capital. I should also note that my husband will not let me travel between Algiers and Tunis because of my US passport. That's the only personal restriction I have when visiting Algeria. Algiers basically shuts down after dark, and I follow security practices just like any other major city in the US.

Don't worry too much. You'll be fine.

Edited by momof1

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have a dear friend from England that just spent 2 weeks there...she left today. She had a great time as usual with her finacee. Just practice normal precautions any time you are in another country. I hope you have a great trip and wish we could go and spend some time with my in-laws. I miss them so much, they are such a wonderful family to belong to. Please take some photos and share when you can. RELAX AND ENJOY.

p.s. To any one needing to mail things to Egypt, the post office just lifted its mailing restrictions. I hope this will be a sign things are starting to settle more for our families and friends there. (L):)(L):)

Edited by wendy&tamer

Filed: Timeline

The warning is only a precuations. I am leaving tomorrow to go to Egypt. The only thing is Delta not flying there right now. So I am taking i different airline. But i am going, and nothing will stop me. And sure my friends and family are scared for me, and I appericate it. But you live life only once. And if you do not put your self in a dangerous situation, which I am sure you will not. You will be fine. I am so excited to be back with my husband. And in little then 48 hours i will be in his arms.:dance:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I haven't checked in here for several days....I didn't realize you had postponed your trip...I have been in constant contact with the staff members of the school I worked at in Alexandria as well as my hubby of course :D and all say it's perfectly fine to come now...my friends have been out walking around the city and talking with all the people now cleaning up and they have been warmly welcomed in every area they have been...I think they are hesitant to lift this warning not because of actual danger but because our government is taking a wait and see approach while Egypt tries to organize itself and prepare for future elections.

I am flying out this Friday at 9pm and will arrive in Cairo at 6:15pm on Sat...hubby will meet me at the airport :dance: can't wait to see him...10 days is gonna go by too fast though :angry:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.