kitty25

i got my SSN but shows my surname not my husband

6 posts in this topic

hello VJ's friends,

I got my ssn but it shows my surname ,, im confused not my surname in my husband... so when i used my husband surname after i file my AOS?? i want to work now as soon as possible so i dont want to wait my EAD...its that oki i apply work using my surname not my husband surname????? THANKS TO ALL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Not a problem, file AOS and EAD using married name, and later when getting EAD or Green-card, simply return to SSA office and apply for a replacement card in married name.

SSN card does not allow work. EAD or Green-card does. The SSN card has a notation on it telling employers to request EAD or Green-card "Valid with DHS Authorization"

K-1 is not a work visa.

Moving to Work/Traveling during immigrations forum.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

When Chinook and I got married, Chinook changed her name following Filipino custom. She simply filled up the marriage certificate with her new name. That is the way she legally changed her name. Now she uses my surname. She also changed her middle name. Her new middle name is her maiden surname.

A few days after we were married, we went to the county clerk and bought a few copies of our official marriage certificate. Then we went to the Social Security office and Chinook filed for a change of name. A week or so later, Chinook received her new Social Security card in the mail. The new SS card has her new married name on it.

The day that Chinook and I filled up the marriage certificate (the day we got married) is the day that Chinook started using her new married name. Chinook applied for her adjustment of status (AOS) using her new married name. Her Green Card is in her new married name. She got her state ID card in her new married name. She changed her bank account to her new married name.

You can not work legally until you have your EAD (work permit). Before you receive your Green Card, the two things you need in order to work legally are a work permit and a Social Security number. You can apply for your EAD at the same time that you apply to adjust your status (AOS). It's free to apply for your EAD. You can also apply for AP (advanced parole) at the same time you AOS. It's also free.

I hope this helps.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

hello VJ's friends,

I got my ssn but it shows my surname ,, im confused not my surname in my husband... so when i used my husband surname after i file my AOS?? i want to work now as soon as possible so i dont want to wait my EAD...its that oki i apply work using my surname not my husband surname????? THANKS TO ALL

You can't work with your SSN anyways you have to wait EAD card. SO as Dan said when you apply for AOS and EAD just put your married name. You can then go back and change SSN you could have had that in your married name if you asked at SS office. But you will have to wait till you get EAD to work.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Timeline

I got my ssn but it shows my surname ,, im confused not my surname in my husband... so when i used my husband surname after i file my AOS?? i want to work now as soon as possible so i dont want to wait my EAD...its that oki i apply work using my surname not my husband surname

Depending on when you arrived in the U.S., you may still have time to update your SSN record and be issued an SSN card with your married name. As long as your Form I-94 is not expired or within 14 days of expiring you still might be able to get it done.

Even after the I-94 has expired, you can get the SSN record updated, but you can't be issued a new card until you have work authorization.

RM 10211.605 Request for a Replacement SSN Card Obtained for a Nonwork Purpose

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211605

A. Correcting Numident data when a replacement card cannot be issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that we cannot issue a replacement card.

1. Alien provides documentation supporting the change

Although the FO cannot issue a replacement card, you may correct the Numident if the alien provides documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the replacement card application to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

-- Answer “yes” to the "Suppress card issuance" question on the SSNAP Additional Information screen and record the nonwork reason documentation on the SSNAP Proof of Legal Alien Status screen.

RM 10212.055 Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union and Domestic Partnership

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212055

RM 10212.015 Evidence Requirements to Process a Name Change on the SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.