Mau77

Getting police records from multiple countries?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

Seems like you have a great community here and as I'm in the midst of the K1 process I've run into an issue I could really use some help with. If anyone could offer some advice I'd be most appreciative!

Basically, my initial application has been approved and my fiance and I are now waiting for him to get a notice to drop by the U.S. embassy in his location (which would be Sydney). Since this process has taken such a long time we're looking to eliminate as much additional waiting as we can before the interview comes up. We pretty much have everything prepared that can be (as far as I know) - except for police reports. I understand that the embassy may want us to re-request them through their own processes even if we've already received them, but I was curious as to how likely this would be (we'd rather not spend the money on them if we'd have to do them again, but if they'd most likely accept them - then sure). Also, I'm uncrtain how to even go about getting some of the records. My fiance has requested the fingerprint-based report from Australia, but he's also lived in New Zealand and Fiji for over three years. Who should he contact in order to get these reports and what sort of reports are they (i.e. do they have some specific sort of title he should request)?

Thank you all for looking this over, any additional information would be great.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

Seems like you have a great community here and as I'm in the midst of the K1 process I've run into an issue I could really use some help with. If anyone could offer some advice I'd be most appreciative!

Basically, my initial application has been approved and my fiance and I are now waiting for him to get a notice to drop by the U.S. embassy in his location (which would be Sydney). Since this process has taken such a long time we're looking to eliminate as much additional waiting as we can before the interview comes up. We pretty much have everything prepared that can be (as far as I know) - except for police reports. I understand that the embassy may want us to re-request them through their own processes even if we've already received them, but I was curious as to how likely this would be (we'd rather not spend the money on them if we'd have to do them again, but if they'd most likely accept them - then sure). Also, I'm uncrtain how to even go about getting some of the records. My fiance has requested the fingerprint-based report from Australia, but he's also lived in New Zealand and Fiji for over three years. Who should he contact in order to get these reports and what sort of reports are they (i.e. do they have some specific sort of title he should request)?

Thank you all for looking this over, any additional information would be great.

SO you have been approved yes? you have received your NOA2 for USCIS A time line would be really helpful here. How long has he lived in Sydney? He will need to get one from the local police station where he lives. He is responsible for his police report . Not sure about NZ and Fiji someone else can help you with that on here. So he has the medical done too? Once you get the packet 3 of what to send in it will then take at least 4 weeks before an interview.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

SO you have been approved yes? you have received your NOA2 for USCIS A time line would be really helpful here. How long has he lived in Sydney? He will need to get one from the local police station where he lives. He is responsible for his police report . Not sure about NZ and Fiji someone else can help you with that on here. So he has the medical done too? Once you get the packet 3 of what to send in it will then take at least 4 weeks before an interview.

Hey Barbara,

Yes, I received our second NOA, form I-797 (our petition has been approved and within 2-4 weeks the NVC processing should be complete and they'll send a petition to the U.S. embassy where he'll be interviewed - after that we're supposed to get another letter giving our case number). The timeline has pretty much followed the national averages here exactly. I sent out our application at the end of September and got this NOA about a week and a half ago (so it's been about 5 months). My fiance has been in Australia for about two and a half years at this point though he's stayed there for a much longer period before, around nine years.

I know that he has to go to the local police dept to get the Australian report, so it should be this one, right? http://www.afp.gov.au/~/media/afp/pdf/n/national-police-check-application-form.ashx

We haven't done a medical yet as I heard we need to do it through approved doctors (in conjunction with this process). But anyway, it sounds like we're going to get another letter before the interview regardless which wll detail things a bit more clearly?

Thanks for your help. :)

Edited by Mau77

Timeline

Hey Barbara,

Yes, I received our second NOA, form I-797 (our petition has been approved and within 2-4 weeks the NVC processing should be complete and they'll send a petition to the U.S. embassy where he'll be interviewed - after that we're supposed to get another letter giving our case number). The timeline has pretty much followed the national averages here exactly. I sent out our application at the end of September and got this NOA about a week and a half ago (so it's been about 5 months). My fiance has been in Australia for about two and a half years at this point though he's stayed there for a much longer period before, around nine years.

I know that he has to go to the local police dept to get the Australian report, so it should be this one, right? http://www.afp.gov.a...ation-form.ashx

We haven't done a medical yet as I heard we need to do it through approved doctors (in conjunction with this process). But anyway, it sounds like we're going to get another letter before the interview regardless which wll detail things a bit more clearly?

Thanks for your help. :)

Ok he just needs to go to his local police station for police report and need to do this now as it takes 4 weeks for them to return it to you. Get him to have it returned to him and then he can put it in with his returned documents. Wow NVC should be done within a week darl and they give a case number, it then goes to Sydney and they go through all your 129f petition and then send an email of packet 3 to you and then you forward that on to him. He can look up the doctors now in Sydney from the consulate site and it is in George St Sydney. DR Waks. He will need to make an appointment now as that can be a 2 week wait. It all gets done in a day Xray and blood tests. You can ring through for a case number before at NVC as the doc will ask him for that. I did not have one at the time of my medical but it was no issue.

http://canberra.usem...e_niv_appl.html

18. How long does the visa interview take?

The interview will be scheduled between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Waiting times may vary according to our caseload on the day. In general, you should be available to spend up to three hours at the Consulate.

9. How long after the interview will the visa be issued?

If you are found to be fully documented and eligible to receive a fiance(e) or immigrant visa, the visa will be issued to you within 2 – 3 working days.

(Fiancé(e) visa)

-

$490

Dr. Anthony Millar

3rd Floor, Suite 1 187 Macquarie St. Sydney, NSW 2000

(02) 9232-3932

Dr. Joseph N. Waks

George St. Medical Centre 1st Floor, 308 George Street Sydney, NSW 2000

(02) 9239-1677

Oh and he can see his local doctor to have a serology test done to see what immunization he needs and he can take that to the medical

Edited by Barbara J

Timeline

You WILL need police certificates from New Zealand and Fiji.

They require police reports from any country that that beneficiary has lived in past the age of 16, for 6 months or longer.

Fiji

You should request certificates by mail to:

Criminal Investigation Department,

Police Headquarters

P.O. Box 239

Suva, Fiji

The AUS Citizen will need to send them a letter requesting a police certificate. Explain the situation - you are applying for a visa to the U.S. and as you lived in Fiji for several years, you need a police certification. Provide your full name, date or birth, and where you lived/worked in Fiji, and how long you were there. Also include any information about visas you had in Fiji and provide photocopies if you still have them in your passport. The more information they have about you, the easier it will be to clear you when they do a search on your name.

I could not find exactly who you need to contact for your NZ certificate, so best bet is to contact NZ Police and ask.

Police National Headquarters

PO Box 3017

Wellington

Phone: +64 4 474 9499

Fax: +64 4 498 7400

I would get the beneficiary to call from Australia. You'll probably get a quicker response. I imagine they're fairly busy with the earthquake :(

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi

I am in a similar situation, We have not had our I-129f approved yet. But I would like to have all angles covered when it does to minimise wait time. I lived in Orlando FL for 12 months and would require a police report. How would I go about this? I live in the UK. Thanks

Si

Hi

I am in a similar situation, We have not had our I-129f approved yet. But I would like to have all angles covered when it does to minimise wait time. I lived in Orlando FL for 12 months and would require a police report. How would I go about this? I live in the UK. Thanks

Si

Police records from the United States are not required.

I can confirm for you that the NZ Police check is something that can only be requested from the Sydney, Aus consulate. Writing to anyone in NZ will not get you anywhere. The Sydney Consulate has told me personally that if they see the beneficiary has lived in NZ, they will send you a consent form for the Police check themselves. If it's not the police check from that authorization form, they will not accept it.

Know this from personal experience! Good luck!

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Timeline

Thank you all very much for your responses - I have one specific thing that's bugging me after talking with my fiance, and it has to do with what Kiwi stated:

I can confirm for you that the NZ Police check is something that can only be requested from the Sydney, Aus consulate. Writing to anyone in NZ will not get you anywhere. The Sydney Consulate has told me personally that if they see the beneficiary has lived in NZ, they will send you a consent form for the Police check themselves. If it's not the police check from that authorization form, they will not accept it.

Know this from personal experience! Good luck!

So for sure we need to WAIT to request police reports from NZ. Soph, do you happen to know that if my fiance requests a report from Fiji, will the consulate be all right with the fact that we didn't use any official form to get it from them? Basically, will we be okay to do this ahead of time versus getting something from the consulate (as in the NZ case Kiwi mentioned) beforehand so they know what we did is "legit"?

And Barbara, are you saying that this is the same with Australia as well? Meaning my fiance can go get the police check done right now versus him needing some special form from the consulate for it to be accepted? I'm asking him to check up on the doctor now as well since we can get that finished early too!

Thanks again, and sorry if it sounds like I'm running a question into the ground - just trying to be sure about whether or not we can get the reports at this point as there's a fee involved to request them (so we wouldn't want to have to do it twice) and goodness knows it already costs an arm and a leg to get this done. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I have teh same problem as Mau77. I am pleased to announce that MY Fiancee and I have finally recived teh NOA2 after about 6 months. The problem is that she lived in Argentina for 18 months on a missionary trip for our church. I have seen two segestiones here. One is wrtie to the police department in Argentina the other is to go through teh embassy. Which is the correct way? Also we would likie to know soon so we may get this done as soon as possible. Thanks everybody for your help :) i couldn´t have gotten this far without the help of this site.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I needed a police certificate from Turkmenistan for my fiancee. Just followed the instructions on THE uscis WEBSITE: I (US Citizen)sent email to US Consulate in Turkmenstan requesting fiancee's police certificate for K1 Visa process. They replied via email next day asking for dates, places, where she lived and copies of her Turkmenistan passport. Sent that info via email next day(scanned copy of passport was OK). Consulate Section replied via email that they received the the info the next day and told me it would take 3-4 weeks to process. Got it at 5 weeks along with a certified translation from Russian to English!

The Consulate in Ashgebat was awesome! Made me proud to be American and impressed my fiancee who thought it would take forever! Thank God for the Dept. of State! :dance:

October 28, 2010 Mailed I-129F

November 1, 2010 NOA1

February 11, 2011 Touched!

February 18, 2011 Touched again!

March 14, 2011 Touched yet again!

March 28, 2011 NOA2 :) 147 days email & text

April 01, 2011 NOA2 harcopy received

April 04, 2011 package received @ NVC (got NVC case number)

April 06, 2011 Package sent to US Consulate in Vancouver, BC

April 08, 2011 Package received at US Consulate in Vancouver, BC

April 15, 2011 received Package 3 via email

April 15, 2011 Returned Package 3 checklist, DS230, and 156K

April 18, 2011 Interview scheduled for May 5th, 2011

May 04, 2011 Medical @ Woking Clinic: passed

May 05, 2011 Interview @ US Consulate Vancouver: Approved!!

May 12, 2011 Visa received!

May 14, 2011 POE Calgary, then HOME to St. Louis!

May 19, 2011 Now Mr. and Mrs! :)

May 24, 2011 Mailed AOS to Chicago Lockbox

May 25, 2011 AOS rec'd per FEDEX

June 3, 2011 AOS rec'd per USCIS text, I-797 to follow

June 8, 2011 AOS & EAD NOA1 Rec'd hardcopy

June 9, 2011 Biometrics appointment ltr for 6/22 rec'd

June 22, 2011 Biometrics completed

July 22, 2011 AOS Transferred to CSC

July 28, 2011 EAD Approved

Sept. 20, 2011 RFE for medical

Oct. 4, 2011 Mailed RFE back USPS Priority Mail

Oct. 6, 2011 RFE received by USCIS

Oct. 24, 2011 Received "approved" update on USCIS Website :)

Oct. 28, 2011 Received "welcome letter" and "Green Card" on the same day!

One year exactly from filing I-129F to Green Card!

Timeline

Almost forgot: DONT WAIT FOR NOA2!!!! Request police certs now so you wont have to wait once package 3 comes from you interviewing location. Good Luck!

November 1, 2010 NOA1

Timeline

One more thing: US Citizen, use your Consulate! That's what the USCIS website says to do and your tax dollars and citizenship entitle YOU (not necessarily the alien beneficiary) to service. They work for YOU! Put THEM (Consulate) to work! As I said, the DOS is awesome!

November 1, 2010 NOA1

Timeline

Thank you all very much for your responses - I have one specific thing that's bugging me after talking with my fiance, and it has to do with what Kiwi stated:

So for sure we need to WAIT to request police reports from NZ. Soph, do you happen to know that if my fiance requests a report from Fiji, will the consulate be all right with the fact that we didn't use any official form to get it from them? Basically, will we be okay to do this ahead of time versus getting something from the consulate (as in the NZ case Kiwi mentioned) beforehand so they know what we did is "legit"?

And Barbara, are you saying that this is the same with Australia as well? Meaning my fiance can go get the police check done right now versus him needing some special form from the consulate for it to be accepted? I'm asking him to check up on the doctor now as well since we can get that finished early too!

Thanks again, and sorry if it sounds like I'm running a question into the ground - just trying to be sure about whether or not we can get the reports at this point as there's a fee involved to request them (so we wouldn't want to have to do it twice) and goodness knows it already costs an arm and a leg to get this done. :)

Yes Mau he can go to the local cop shop in Sydney good idea to ring first and make an appointment and he goes in for his fingerprints to be done and pays and fills in the form . They then send it off and get them to mail back to him as he will need it to send in with his documents.Go get that done now as it takes 4 weeks to get it back and book the medical as well. Keep us informed ok

Edited by Barbara J

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.