haruko83

Tourist visa reentry

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi!

My mom came here on a tourist visa in October. She stayed with me in Maine for a while (I just got married) and with her sister in Miami. She is leaving the 5th of April, but just recently she was offered to go to Colombia with her nephew, but then she would have to leave the US and re-enter to travel from here so she doesn't lose her ticket.

That would mean changing her ticket to a date after the 6th month initial allowance.

My questions are:

* When she leaves to Colombia a re-enters the US a couple of weeks after, she would be given another 6 months right?

* Is this a risky thing to do? Can it be taken as intent to immigrate? (This is definitely not the case, she will be going back home after, we just don't want to get another ticket. But the only thing to prove it we have is the actual ticket.)

* What happens if she's denied at POE?

BTW she has a 10 year tourist visa good until 2013, in the past she's used it only once before.

If anybody has any info that can help us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

as1cHs-0g410510MDAwMTA1NHN8MDA5Njk4c3xXZVwndmUgYmVlbiBtYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Well, nobody here could absolutely assure you that all will go well. She can explain why she needs to do it, and she has the plane ticket to prove that she intends to leave the USA at the original date. These are all positive things.

As for a continued 6 months, its highly unlikely. I imagine they will not deny her at the entry, but give her enough time to leave on the original ticket booked.

There is no yes or no answer on this. It really depends 100% on the person she encounters at the border.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You are assuming lot of things, on her second entry she will be asked why she wants enter again when she just left the country to go back home.

First of all second visit that quick would raise more questions and not guranteed she will be granted the entry, even if the entry is granted cannot tell you it will be 6 months there is no rule that they have to give tourist 6 months, it can even be as short as few weeks.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Is it really cheaper for her to fly back to the US from Columbia just to use the already purchased ticket? Seems to me a flight from US to Columbia then from Columbia to Chile would be cheaper and also a lot less travel just to get back home.

Filed: Timeline

You may find the link I've attached below helpful. No one can really give you reassurance that things will go smoothly as US admission is always at the discretion of the CBP Officer. Sorry. :( The fact that she will have a return ticket to show as proof she is leaving the US will be useful. Also make sure to read through the Visitation FAQ's. It specifies K-1 beneficiaries but is applicable to all. Good luck.

Traveling to Other Countries While in the US on a B-1 or B-2 Visa

iagree.gif

Timeline

Is it really cheaper for her to fly back to the US from Columbia just to use the already purchased ticket? Seems to me a flight from US to Columbia then from Columbia to Chile would be cheaper and also a lot less travel just to get back home.

She already has her return ticket, so she does not need to get a new one if she goes to Colombia (invited by my cousin, she wont have to pay to go there either)

Filed: Country:
Timeline
She already has her return ticket, so she does not need to get a new one if she goes to Colombia (invited by my cousin, she wont have to pay to go there either)

I understand that but someone is paying the airfare for her to fly to Columbia and then to return to the US. Why send her back to the US just to fly back south of Columbia?

Timeline

I understand that but someone is paying the airfare for her to fly to Columbia and then to return to the US. Why send her back to the US just to fly back south of Columbia?

Return ticket US CoLOmbia = $200

One way Ticket Colombia-Chile = $800+

FYI Distance Miami-Colombia << Colombia-Santiago de Chile. The idea of going to Colombia just came up days ago, after she was already in the US.

Anyways, that't not the point. Evidently if she wanted to stay, she wouldn't be going to Colombia, she would just stay here. My cousin wants her to go and meet the family of his wife, they just got married and my mom is his godmother and are very close.

I guess is not really recommended for her to travel then, as besides return ticket she has no way of proving she is going home (my brother and dad are in Chile, but not sure how "show" that, besides her sister and I live here.)

It sucks, she was really excited about visiting Colombia but I guess is too risky and she might be denied entrance :(

Thanks for your input!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.