Sugardoll

Husband hasn't filed taxes in 3 years, I have

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a Canadian who has received my 10 year Green Card through marriage. My husband was not my financial sponsor as he had a bankruptcy and a failed business right before we got married. My step dad was the financial sponsor. Getting the conditions lifted on the temporary GC was not a big deal, no interview or delays - maybe it was because my step dad was the financial sponsor. And of course we were able to prove that our marriage is legitimate because we have joint cars, health insurance, credit cards and bank accounts etc.

For the last 3 years I have filed my taxes as "Married Filling Separately". We decided to do this because of his bankruptcies and failed business issues. It makes things less complicated and prevents me from becoming liable for his IRS debts, if there are any.

So now to the questions. I sent in my N-400 in Dec. I have did the fingerprinting on Jan 5th, 2011 and have had no correspondence since. I sent in the N-400 with all my taxes from the last 3 years but not my husbands because they are not done. He's giving me a hard time about getting them done. He's lazy. Do you think that the delay in getting my interview has something to do with his taxes not being filed? I did manage to get the conditions of my permanent GC removed without requiring his taxes so I wonder if it's any different in this case?

Filed: Other Timeline

Nope.

You filed as married, so you're fine, totally fine.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope.

You filed as married, so you're fine, totally fine.

Well thank you for the quick reply Just Bob!!! I thought that maybe the IRS uses USCIS applicants and their process as a way to forcably make sure that all citizens, like my husband, are up to date on their taxes. I'm worried that they will delay my acceptance until he submits his taxes. I really hope not but you never know.

By the way I was just looking at your journey - WOW - you've had a long hard road to citizenship. Congratulations on the recent Naturalization!

Edited by Sugardoll

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You won't be penalized (in this part of your life) for hubby's foolishness.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.