escoffier

N400 Interview (VAWA)

9 posts in this topic

I was married to a USC for 4 years who abuses me for the time of our marriage. Since I am a foreigner here, I do not know any better. In January of 02 I got married with my USC husband all is well until his gambling problems took over the relationships,I work day and night and all he does is get my paycheck and deposits it to his account to sustain his habit. If I do not give in to his wishes he would hurt me. I was abuse in a way that I would not want no one to encounter.He left and divorce me, and since I am so ignorant at that time. I was left with nothing.Not a penny, not any clothes and worst no paper work as to which stage am I on my Immigration. To make the story short, I was left with NOTHING, and do not know where to start. In 2006 I found a lawyer that was willing to help me build my case and that is when we file I-360.In Jan of 2008 I gain my GC. Since my X husband is a USC i was told that i do not have to wait 5 years and that I am eligible to file My N-400 on Oct 2010. Which I did,And now my long awaited interview is set third week of March 2011. I am very nervous as to what to expect on this interview.I have studied my history of the United States,My only worry is in Aug of 2009 I remarried, woud this be a problem?Does this mean I do not fall on the 3 year rule anymore? Does this means my waiting will fall onto 5 year rule now? I was hoping that I can find an individual with the same case as mine. Your response will be greatly appreciated and would mean a lot to me. May we all be blessed on our future endeavor.

Filed: Timeline

I was married to a USC for 4 years who abuses me for the time of our marriage. Since I am a foreigner here, I do not know any better. In January of 02 I got married with my USC husband all is well until his gambling problems took over the relationships,I work day and night and all he does is get my paycheck and deposits it to his account to sustain his habit. If I do not give in to his wishes he would hurt me. I was abuse in a way that I would not want no one to encounter.He left and divorce me, and since I am so ignorant at that time. I was left with nothing.Not a penny, not any clothes and worst no paper work as to which stage am I on my Immigration. To make the story short, I was left with NOTHING, and do not know where to start. In 2006 I found a lawyer that was willing to help me build my case and that is when we file I-360.In Jan of 2008 I gain my GC. Since my X husband is a USC i was told that i do not have to wait 5 years and that I am eligible to file My N-400 on Oct 2010. Which I did,And now my long awaited interview is set third week of March 2011. I am very nervous as to what to expect on this interview.I have studied my history of the United States,My only worry is in Aug of 2009 I remarried, woud this be a problem?Does this mean I do not fall on the 3 year rule anymore? Does this means my waiting will fall onto 5 year rule now? I was hoping that I can find an individual with the same case as mine. Your response will be greatly appreciated and would mean a lot to me. May we all be blessed on our future endeavor.

They may ask why you remarried so fast? What was the urgency?

They may ask why you remarried so fast? What was the urgency?

With all honesty there is no urgency, I got my GC and I fell inlove with him and he showed me that he actually care for my well being.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do you currently have a 2 or 10 year Green Card? Just check the expiration date. Also do you have documentation, such as police reports, of your husband's abuse? This may be wise to have at the interview to substantiate your claim.

All the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have a 5 year requirement.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Do you currently have a 2 or 10 year Green Card? Just check the expiration date. Also do you have documentation, such as police reports, of your husband's abuse? This may be wise to have at the interview to substantiate your claim.

All the best.

Thank you for the reply,I have a 10 year gc, I have documentation that was acquired prior to my I 360 approval that i still have all the time.

You have a 5 year requirement.

Just curious, why 5?

Thank you for the reply,I have a 10 year gc, I have documentation that was acquired prior to my I 360 approval that i still have all the time.

Just curious, why 5?

INA 319(a):

Any person whose spouse is a citizen of the United States, 1/ or any person who obtained status as a lawful permanent resident by reason of his or her status as a spouse or child of a United States citizen who battered him or her or subjected him or her to extreme cruelty, may be naturalized upon compliance with all the requirements of this title except the provisions of paragraph (1) of section 316(a) if such person immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent reside nce, within the United States for at least three years, and during the three years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been living in marital union with the citizen spouse 1/ (except in the case of a person who has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by a United States citizen spouse or parent), who has been a United States citizen during all of such period, and has been physically present in the United States for periods totaling at least half of that time and has resided within the State or the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed his application for at least three months.

• 1 month later...

INA 319(a):

Any person whose spouse is a citizen of the United States, 1/ or any person who obtained status as a lawful permanent resident by reason of his or her status as a spouse or child of a United States citizen who battered him or her or subjected him or her to extreme cruelty, may be naturalized upon compliance with all the requirements of this title except the provisions of paragraph (1) of section 316(a) if such person immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent reside nce, within the United States for at least three years, and during the three years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been living in marital union with the citizen spouse 1/ (except in the case of a person who has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by a United States citizen spouse or parent), who has been a United States citizen during all of such period, and has been physically present in the United States for periods totaling at least half of that time and has resided within the State or the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed his application for at least three months.

I got recommended for approval

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I got recommended for approval

Congratulations. :thumbs: I also filed in February under VAWA.

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.