Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Amy M

Filing Taxes- No Green Card Yet

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland


I am trying to file taxes using Turbo Tax, but am totally lost. If I file with my husband it is taxing his foreign income, and will not let me claim child care credit since he was not employed. We got married in October 2010 from a K-1 Visa and he does not have his premanent residency yet. He did not work in the U.S. last year either, only in Ireland. I tried Turbo Tax with married filing separately instead, but then it does not let me claim my student loan interest paid, etc, and will not let me e-file since I live in a community property state. Is there any way that I can file as married filing jointly without his foreign income being taxed? It doesn't seem right that he should be taxed on that when he's not a resident...Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

You need to file an extra form for foreign income tax credit.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

In TurboTax report his income way down the list under Less Common Income. It will then walk you through filling out the Form 2555 to exclude his income. It is not taxed, but how it would affect your other things like child care credit, I don't know because I've never tried that. He would qualify for the exclusion based on the bonafide residence test. He can't exclude his home, etc so just pick "next" on all those screens that asked if he maintained a home, etc. When you get it worked out, compare to married filing separately and go with the way that is best for you money-wise.

You also need to include the statement saying you both elect for him to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes for the whole of 2010. What to include in that statement is on page 10 of Publication 519

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...