Langa

N-600

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello good people,

I just became a US Citizen this February. The day after I was sworn in, I mailed my minor child's application (certificate of citizenship) to the local USCIS office. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to process a minor child's application and also, once processed, will my child have to attend an Oath Ceremony at the Courthouse or will it be done at the local USCIS office? I would like to apply for our passports at the same time but if the N-600 process takes too long then I would like to go ahead and apply for my passport (might be travelling abroad in a few months)and then apply for hers later.

I would appreciate any response I can get from those that have been throught N-600 for their minor child/children.

I guess its not over until its over!

Thank you in advance.

When you are applying for your passport, fill out a passport application for your child as well. If you send both together along with a copy of your naturalization certificate, both of you will receive your passports.

bonnerbonner and Nigel,

Thank you!

Its great to know I don't have to wait to have her N-600 processed to send in our passport applications. I will go ahead and send them in now. I am still curious though as to how long it takes USCIS to process a N-600 appplication. Does anyone out there has an idea how long it takes?

Filed: Other Timeline

Applying for a Certificate of Citizenship is the way to go, if you don't mind spending $600 on it. Otherwise, and especially since your child's certificate, just as yours, has only one purpose, namely to get the first US passport, you can pull this off without a certificate if you apply for both passports at the same time, using your certificate, his/her Green Card, and his/her birth certificate.

After you have your passport, the certificate is only a backup for the worst cases where your house burns down or is swallowed by a flood. Better is to put the certificate in a bank safe, your passport in a firesafe at home, and use only the passport card, which now has become the third proof of citizenship, for all practical purposes such as SSA or DMV or whatever.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/ProcTimes.do

Shows the average processing times, I didn't know you sent your application to your local field office, but then my stepdaughter barely turned 18. Looks like the average time is running about five months, but can never go by that.

Too bad you cannot hand them an extra 600 bucks for each kid at the same time you filed your N-400 and avoid filling out yet another form with yet another wait and get that certificate then and there. They are going to get it anyway, and I feel the only thing important to the USCIS is getting that extra 600 bucks per kid. Hell, I would send them 750 bucks for that, would far outweigh all the inconvenience. Then you have to compile more evidence they already have.

Could never figure out why they want copies of stuff they already issued to you. Will never complain again about our DMV charging 14 bucks for a replacement drivers' license they can do without proof and in less than five minutes.

Just Bob..thank you for taking the time to respond. You always crack me up with the way you respond but you are always on point! Humor is definitely needed here.

Nick D....thank you also for your response. My daughter is only turning 14. I had to fill out the form, attach supporting documents, $600, pictures (which they already have but says on the instructions "if you don't want your application delayed you may as well attach supporting documents so we do not have to go pulling them out of your or her old file). So I figured I might as well send the documents again. My question is, why on earth do they need us to pay an extra $600 when technically my child is a US Citizen? Honestly does a certificate cost that much? Well, I have come this far and grateful that the process is almost over so I am not going to complain. I have to tell you, as a single mom and in this economy, it is painful to pay another $600 for a "certificate" considering I still have to pay for the passports.

Good luck to everyone still going through this journey. The anxiety, expense and joy that comes with this process is something else!!

Timeline

Just Bob..thank you for taking the time to respond. You always crack me up with the way you respond but you are always on point! Humor is definitely needed here.

Nick D....thank you also for your response. My daughter is only turning 14. I had to fill out the form, attach supporting documents, $600, pictures (which they already have but says on the instructions "if you don't want your application delayed you may as well attach supporting documents so we do not have to go pulling them out of your or her old file). So I figured I might as well send the documents again. My question is, why on earth do they need us to pay an extra $600 when technically my child is a US Citizen? Honestly does a certificate cost that much? Well, I have come this far and grateful that the process is almost over so I am not going to complain. I have to tell you, as a single mom and in this economy, it is painful to pay another $600 for a "certificate" considering I still have to pay for the passports.

Good luck to everyone still going through this journey. The anxiety, expense and joy that comes with this process is something else!!

Well, there was a report from congress, they were paying over 600 bucks for a toilet seat. Same government is claiming zero inflation again this year, but heard they don't count luxury items like food, energy, clothing, and property tax, my bills are showing at least 5%. And definitely not the USCIS that doubled their fees just a couple of years ago.

What really tees me off is line 8a on the IRS form 1040, taxable interest, as far as I am concerned, my CD's are worth at least 5% less, but yet I have to pay taxes on that 1.5% I earned.

Ha, on another automotive site was telling about getting screwed by a parts supplier, a guy asked if he was wearing a condom. I replied, no, but neither does our government, but they push safe sex and wear a telephone pole instead. My stepdaughter's state college tuition by 22% and my home was reassessed at 5% higher this last year. But they told me the mil rate is still the same, so taxes didn't go up.

Ok people, so I got a letter addressed to my daughter (14 yrs old) asking her (and me I guess, since she is a minor) to attend an interview at our local USCIS office in March. In the letter it says I should bring all supporting original documents which includes my Naturalization Certificate of course submitted with the application.

Ok so, I'm just curious if they will interview her or they just want to see her cute little face and know that she exists. I just don't see why else they would be calling her for an interview. I thought I was just applying for her Naturalization Certificate and didn't need to take a day off from work and pull her out of school for half the day.

Just when I thought I didn't have to visit that office again....uuhh. You know what though, I'm not complaining, I was just hoping her process wouldn't feel like a another application process and the way things are going .....it sure does feel that way.

Anyone who has been through this with their kid/s, please fill me in on what really happens.

• 1 month later...

Ok so my daughter's who is 14 years old had her N-600 interview on March 22, 2011. I sent the application February 5, 2011 to the USCIS local office.

I am posting this just incase there is someone out there who is curious about the process.

Well this is how it went. We were in the lobby then the IO came out and called out my daughter's name after about 10 minutes of waiting and then of course as her mom I was allowed to be with her. The IO asked my daughter her name and went through the whole application and made a comment that I had provided a complete application therefore he did not require much from her/us. The IO then asked for my daughter's passport and greencard which I handed to him. He went through the all the pages of the application, asking my daughter to confirm her name, date of birth, what school she attends, who does she live with (interesting), asked her to confirm our home address and her age. He also asked if she was married or single, I was shocked by that question and asked him why they ask that. Hesaid they are required to ask it because some kids 16 or 17 years old are married and if they happen to be married then N-600 process cannot go forward. I didn't bother to ask how then do they get their proof of citizenship. Anyway my daughter answered the question politely. He went through all the support documents I sent in with the file. After that he then asked my daughter to sign her 2 pictures that we sent with the application then he gave my daughter a printed paper with the Pledge of Alligiance to read and understand before he administers the aoth and said that we should go and wait in the lobby whilst they process the certificate. We waited for about 15 minutes and then we were called back in his office. He asked my daughter to stand up (funny I stood up too then he told me to sit down as I had already taken the oath). So my daughter was sworn in and then my daughter had to sign a few documents including her Citizenship Certificate. I asked if I it was okay with him to take pictures and he said it was fine, so I took some lovely pictures and he also took pictures of me and my daughter in his office (holding the flag of course) and it was over.....phew!

All I can say to those contemplating on sending their N-600 applications for their kids, I say do it now. Laws change everyday. Having the certificate makes life easier for you and your child and when you do it soon after you naturalize you don't have to worry about it later on in the future. You don't really want your child getting married etc and then that complicates the process. The IO also told me that before 2001 a child could not become a US Citizen unless both parents (even divorced) were US Citizens (interesting). So Congress changed the law in 2001. I'm glad the law changed because it would have definitely affected my child.

I can't tell you all how glad I am that this process is over. I'm done...yeah!! All I need to do now is apply for our passports.

Thank you all lovely people for your help and I hope I can give back what you all have give me. Stay Blessed!!

Ok so my daughter's who is 14 years old had her N-600 interview on March 22, 2011. I sent the application February 5, 2011 to the USCIS local office.

I am posting this just incase there is someone out there who is curious about the process.

Well this is how it went. We were in the lobby then the IO came out and called out my daughter's name after about 10 minutes of waiting and then of course as her mom I was allowed to be with her. The IO asked my daughter her name and went through the whole application and made a comment that I had provided a complete application therefore he did not require much from her/us. The IO then asked for my daughter's passport and greencard which I handed to him. He went through the all the pages of the application, asking my daughter to confirm her name, date of birth, what school she attends, who does she live with (interesting), asked her to confirm our home address and her age. He also asked if she was married or single, I was shocked by that question and asked him why they ask that. Hesaid they are required to ask it because some kids 16 or 17 years old are married and if they happen to be married then N-600 process cannot go forward. I didn't bother to ask how then do they get their proof of citizenship. Anyway my daughter answered the question politely. He went through all the support documents I sent in with the file. After that he then asked my daughter to sign her 2 pictures that we sent with the application then he gave my daughter a printed paper with the Pledge of Alligiance to read and understand before he administers the aoth and said that we should go and wait in the lobby whilst they process the certificate. We waited for about 15 minutes and then we were called back in his office. He asked my daughter to stand up (funny I stood up too then he told me to sit down as I had already taken the oath). So my daughter was sworn in and then my daughter had to sign a few documents including her Citizenship Certificate. I asked if I it was okay with him to take pictures and he said it was fine, so I took some lovely pictures and he also took pictures of me and my daughter in his office (holding the flag of course) and it was over.....phew!

All I can say to those contemplating on sending their N-600 applications for their kids, I say do it now. Laws change everyday. Having the certificate makes life easier for you and your child and when you do it soon after you naturalize you don't have to worry about it later on in the future. You don't really want your child getting married etc and then that complicates the process. The IO also told me that before 2001 a child could not become a US Citizen unless both parents (even divorced) were US Citizens (interesting). So Congress changed the law in 2001. I'm glad the law changed because it would have definitely affected my child.

I can't tell you all how glad I am that this process is over. I'm done...yeah!! All I need to do now is apply for our passports.

Thank you all lovely people for your help and I hope I can give back what you all have give me. Stay Blessed!!

Congratulations to you and to your daughter for happily ending the citizenship process and also the relief for being definitely done with USCIS. I very much appreciate that you came back to share the details of the interview of your daughter. I did not know that children may have an interview for N-600. I don’t know if this is something new or for some kids 14 years old and older. Anyway I will keep it in mind since my daughter will be 13 or 14 by the time I apply for her Certificate of Naturalization, and she may then to get an interview. Thanks again and congratulations.

K1-K2 Visas Journey

(Day 1) 05/23/07: Packet sent to CSC

(Day 247) 01/25/08: Interview. Approved!

(Day 254) 02/01/08: Visas Received.

AOS Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 04/20/08: Application sent.

(Day 73) 07/02/08: EAD,AP Approved!

(Day 108) 08/05/08: AOS Approved!

(Day 114) 08/11/08: 2 years GC received.

ROC Journey K1-K2

(Day 1) 05/09/10: Application sent.

(Day 129) 09/14/10: ROC Approved!

(Day 135) 09/20/10: 10 years GC received.

Naturalization Journey

(Day 1) 10/02/11: Application sent.

(Day 122) 01/31/12: Interview. PASSED!

(Day 125) 02/03/12: Oath Ceremony. Done!

End of our Journey:

Daughter and I became U.S. Citizens on 02/03/2012.

(Day 1) 02/09/12: Applied for U.S. Passport & Passport card.

(Day 16) 02/24/12: Passport received.

(Day 19) 02/27/12: Passport Card received.

(Day 24) 03/03/12: Got CoN back.

N-600 for Daughter

(Day 1) 02/04/12: Application sent.

(Day 117) 05/30/12: Picked up Certificate of Citizenship at USCIS local office Chicago.

Filed: Other Timeline

Thank you for sharing!

:thumbs:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 4 months later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you, Langa, for posting about your daughter's interview experience. Just filed the N600 for my son; went ahead and did that after much contemplation on PP and N600 vs only PP. $600 for the N600 ( nice and easy to remember- thanks, Bob!) is a lot of money, but for my peace of mind, I decided to just do it since he's turning 18 pretty soon.

Thanks again!

ezzie

Timeline

Thank you, Langa, for posting about your daughter's interview experience. Just filed the N600 for my son; went ahead and did that after much contemplation on PP and N600 vs only PP. $600 for the N600 ( nice and easy to remember- thanks, Bob!) is a lot of money, but for my peace of mind, I decided to just do it since he's turning 18 pretty soon.

Thanks again!

ezzie

Thanks to what I felt were excessive delays in processing, my stepdaughter barley turned over 18 when my wife could apply. But wasn't the end of the world, 680 bucks instead of 600 bucks, and she had to wait those two extra years, and spend about an hour studying those 100 civic questions and answers.

If you don't think about it, those two years went by very quickly.

Child should have a ten year green card at the time, and if traveling, a foreign passport. So not that much changes with citizenship, at least for that two year period.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.