Langa

N-600

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Thank you, Langa, for posting about your daughter's interview experience. Just filed the N600 for my son; went ahead and did that after much contemplation on PP and N600 vs only PP. $600 for the N600 ( nice and easy to remember- thanks, Bob!) is a lot of money, but for my peace of mind, I decided to just do it since he's turning 18 pretty soon.

Thanks again!

ezzie

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just applied for my son's US passport, and guess what the nice girl who received the application told us..?

"Did you still apply for the N600?" I said yes, and she said- "Well, you just wasted your precious $600..the only purpose for that is to apply for your son's passport, and look, he can have his proof of citizenship with just that." I said, "well, we'll never know, we might need it in the future" To which she replied- "Nah, he's fine with just the passport. That's enough proof".

Well, better be equipped than sorry. Peace of mind has no price.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

And incidentally, we had to drive for more than 2 hours for the infopass for the N600. The USCIS never sent any notification whatsoever that they received it. Found out they did, and it's been 2 months since we filed it. Oh well...

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

Thank you for your valuable posts.

We ( I and my husband ) got our Certificate of Naturalization just this Monday. As soon as we got our certificate, I applied for our passports and also for my daughters. Going to file N600 this weekend.

Now I have a question - The passport agency took her Green Card and of course our Naturalization Certificate.

While I am sure that they would return our Naturalization Certificate, would they return my daughter's Green Card too? Because I'm sure that during the N600 Interview the IO are asking for the original Green Card.

Appreciate your responses. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: India
Timeline

Hi Langa,

I have a question for my minor daughter age just turned 10 n 13 years old May 2014. THey have got their U.S passport and Passport card recently and we are have applied for renunciation of Indian passport and applied for Indian entry visa. My question is that now i am going to apply for naturalisation certificate for my both the daughters in U.S before going India on urgent basis. Will my daughters will be called personally for interview in U.S? Also my daughters will take up their school in India for some years. Will that affect for naturalisation process? Please guide me. Since i am planning to do the paper work for them now or sooner until i get clarifications for not falling in trouble. Any one who know the new processing way in 2014. Thanks Langa you tread gave me reply to many of my questions but do you know the latest update of the situation.

Ok so my daughter's who is 14 years old had her N-600 interview on March 22, 2011. I sent the application February 5, 2011 to the USCIS local office.

I am posting this just incase there is someone out there who is curious about the process.

Well this is how it went. We were in the lobby then the IO came out and called out my daughter's name after about 10 minutes of waiting and then of course as her mom I was allowed to be with her. The IO asked my daughter her name and went through the whole application and made a comment that I had provided a complete application therefore he did not require much from her/us. The IO then asked for my daughter's passport and greencard which I handed to him. He went through the all the pages of the application, asking my daughter to confirm her name, date of birth, what school she attends, who does she live with (interesting), asked her to confirm our home address and her age. He also asked if she was married or single, I was shocked by that question and asked him why they ask that. Hesaid they are required to ask it because some kids 16 or 17 years old are married and if they happen to be married then N-600 process cannot go forward. I didn't bother to ask how then do they get their proof of citizenship. Anyway my daughter answered the question politely. He went through all the support documents I sent in with the file. After that he then asked my daughter to sign her 2 pictures that we sent with the application then he gave my daughter a printed paper with the Pledge of Alligiance to read and understand before he administers the aoth and said that we should go and wait in the lobby whilst they process the certificate. We waited for about 15 minutes and then we were called back in his office. He asked my daughter to stand up (funny I stood up too then he told me to sit down as I had already taken the oath). So my daughter was sworn in and then my daughter had to sign a few documents including her Citizenship Certificate. I asked if I it was okay with him to take pictures and he said it was fine, so I took some lovely pictures and he also took pictures of me and my daughter in his office (holding the flag of course) and it was over.....phew!

All I can say to those contemplating on sending their N-600 applications for their kids, I say do it now. Laws change everyday. Having the certificate makes life easier for you and your child and when you do it soon after you naturalize you don't have to worry about it later on in the future. You don't really want your child getting married etc and then that complicates the process. The IO also told me that before 2001 a child could not become a US Citizen unless both parents (even divorced) were US Citizens (interesting). So Congress changed the law in 2001. I'm glad the law changed because it would have definitely affected my child.

I can't tell you all how glad I am that this process is over. I'm done...yeah!! All I need to do now is apply for our passports.

Thank you all lovely people for your help and I hope I can give back what you all have give me. Stay Blessed!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.