one...two...tree

American Christians buy millions of Bibles they seldom read and don't understand

105 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Well I guess you painted a different picture about things in the past then, Matthew(? lol). I don't recall the thread or exactly when you said the other things that gave me(and obviously Steven) a different impression.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

The worst part is that most Americans' Bibles are of NIV (Americanese slang) translation--which should be a "no brainer" for them to understand (I can understand original KJV--due to my having to1 paraphrase three Shakespeare plays in HS--and Pras2 can nicely understand NKJV which is more like modern Brit).

1. basically, even to get a HS Diploma in Calgary required student to take Grades 10-12 English courses--and for admission to college/university, specifically higher-level (Calgary school boards have two stream-levels of HS English there--higher indicated as 10/20/30 and lower indicated by 13/23/33)
  2. given that English is neither her mother-tongue, nor (unlike me, raised in Calgary--Canadian English is a portmanteau of Brit spelling and Americanese grammar/semantics) raised in an area where English is commonest language--an excuse Americans simply don't have

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

I thought Joseph & Ana just doesn't post much anymore?

Lord Infamous used to be names like Confucian and NOsamaCare.

Edited by chri'stina

Filed: Timeline

Who besides Bill Mahr and a couple other guys "vent" about how stupid religion is in real life. Do you want me to wake up every morning, call my mom up, and make fun of her? This is a forum where people discuss religion and politics. They are 2 of the things that you should never talk about in real life, or so they say. Why? Because everyone is gonna have a different opinion and it will lead to a lot of arguing (hence P&R). When religion comes up every once in a while I will respond. If I think of something new or a have a question then I might start a topic on it. What is the problem with that?

Christina makes a good point overall, but esp with your signature. The above may well and truly be true, but at the same time, your signature pretty much always takes potshots at Christianity. That's not forum specific.

You are free to act whichever way you want, but I personally find it quite antisocial to constantly be on the attack just to vent some obvious issues in your personal life. Making fun of your mother? Why on earth would you want to do that? Grow up and live and let live.

The worst part is that most Americans' Bibles are of NIV (Americanese slang) translation--which should be a "no brainer" for them to understand (I can understand original KJV--due to my having to1 paraphrase three Shakespeare plays in HS--and Pras2 can nicely understand NKJV which is more like modern Brit).

1. basically, even to get a HS Diploma in Calgary required student to take Grades 10-12 English courses--and for admission to college/university, specifically higher-level (Calgary school boards have two stream-levels of HS English there--higher indicated as 10/20/30 and lower indicated by 13/23/33)
  2. given that English is neither her mother-tongue, nor (unlike me, raised in Calgary--Canadian English is a portmanteau of Brit spelling and Americanese grammar/semantics) raised in an area where English is commonest language--an excuse Americans simply don't have

SB, I love ya and all, but your posts always make me lol

Timeline

:lol:1

1. Yes Saddle is a good (and obviously knowledgeable)guy, but the posts make me chuckle because they are set up like research papers or wikipedia.

Edited by chri'stina

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Hmmm...ok. I thought I remember your original display name was Joseph and Anna. You met your wife when you were down in Mexico - she was a waitress. You like to or used to run. You're fairly young (early 20's when you joined VJ). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Your memory isn't as sharp as you think it is. Remember there was a guy with a Filipina fiancee that started to post in P&R for a few months. You wrote me a private message and said that you caught me creating a second name and blah blah blah? All it took was a quick look at his profile to see that it was a different person (you look at his threads and see he is posting about the K1 process when I was completely done with it; you see he has a filipina fiancee and mine was mexican, etc. That was this guy: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/70671-joseph-ana/

The other parts are fairly accurate. Met wife in Mexico, she was a waitress, I like to run, I am 26.

So there must be a lot of things you keep bottled-up inside just to maintain peace and harmony because I can only imagine her reaction if you said the kinds of things you say about Christianity here to her.

Actually I'll joke around with her and she'll get mad but it's nothing serious.

Well I guess you painted a different picture about things in the past then, I don't recall the thread or exactly when you said the other things that gave me(and obviously Steven) a different impression.

I found the thread. It gave that impression because I said I don't discuss it with my family and because a few of my aunts are on my FB friends list so I don't discuss it there either. You know how certain people have only 20 friends so they will see everything you post. Plus who is discussing religion on FB? I rarely see that.

Matthew(? lol)

Nathan

34514b5b4b8f83919.gif

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

He's like Data from Star Trek, or C3PO from Star Wars.

hahahah yes.

:lol:1

1. Yes Saddle is a good (and obviously knowledgeable)guy, but the posts make me chuckle because they are set up like research papers or wikipedia.

LOOOOL, this is clever and funny.

And I am obviously on iggy from LI, *sob*

Timeline

hahahah yes.

LOOOOL, this is clever and funny.

And I am obviously on iggy from LI, *sob*

Jump to conclusions much? I would NEVER place someone on ignore or report anyone.

I have a question though. Why do I have the bottled up anger and personal problems because I am Atheist? I know I am a bit more graphic with calling God mute, deaf, blind, etc., but is there really much of a difference between me and some of the other posters?

Last, can you be fair and go tell Danno (who just created his 100th anti-Muslim topic) that he has bottled up anger and personal issues?

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Last, can you be fair and go tell Danno (who just created his 100th anti-Muslim topic) that he has bottled up anger and personal issues?

Danno has his own, unique set of issues. :jest:

In fairness, I'm sorry that I made a reference to your personal psyche regarding Christianity. Whatever the underlying reasons are, it's not my business. You do spend an awful lot of effort in trying to dismiss Christianity though, which I find perplexing. You must realize at some point that you're not going to convert someone becoming an Atheist any more than they are going to convert you to Christianity by constantly preaching to you about it.

Edited by 8TBVBN

Jump to conclusions much? I would NEVER place someone on ignore or report anyone.

I have a question though. Why do I have the bottled up anger and personal problems because I am Atheist? I know I am a bit more graphic with calling God mute, deaf, blind, etc., but is there really much of a difference between me and some of the other posters?

What other conclusion can I draw when I've addressed you several times and you have yet to respond?

I say you have personal issues not because you're Atheist, it's because of comments like 'what would you rather me do? call up my mother and make fun of her?' Why on Earth would you even want to make fun of your mother? Or you say that religion is stupid, ergo - the people who believe are stupid? So that means you find your wife stupid. Also, as has been mentioned several times already, you seem awfully angry and (imo) come across as hostile when religion is broached. Other than that, you just display a profound lack of respect for those of faith.

You say you use this forum to get out your angst/whatever concerning religion because you cannot do so in your real life. I also think that is indicative of a personal issue. Believe what you want, and be proud to stand up for it, but don't sh!t on everyone else just because you feel impotent in your own life to do so to those around you.

Btw, that is the difference (imo) between you, and Danno. I feel it's acceptable to criticize the religion without sh!tting on it. There are questions I struggle to understand in my own faith; sometimes things don't make the perfect sense. I admit that. And then, at times when people will use Christianity to justify hurting someone, I will be first in line to bash them too. I don't appreciate anyone bastardizing a faith to use it as means to hurt someone - and in that scenario, I would invite you to shine light on it, because it is wrong. (WBC, they need to rot as far as I'm concerned. Killing abortion docs and nurses? IT'S A TRAVESTY)

OTOH If there was conversation like this saying Islam is stupid or Allah is deaf, blind, mute - I'd say the same thing to you as I'm saying here.

Edited by Lisa C

Timeline

What other conclusion can I draw when I've addressed you several times and you have yet to respond?

You made a couple comments but nothing that I needed to respond to.

I say you have personal issues not because you're Atheist, it's because of comments like 'what would you rather me do? call up my mother and make fun of her?' Why on Earth would you even want to make fun of your mother?

Well let's just be glad you are not working in the media because your comprehension of what I said was a fail. I was addressing Chri'stina's point of why am I not debating religion daily with my family. So I said do you think I should wake up in the morning and call my mom immediately and start debating religion with her, and making fun of her and her religion? Obviously discussing religion with family members when opinions differ is only asking for trouble, which is the whole point. You read it as some internet psychopath just completely jumping from one topic to the other and saying "should I call my mom up and make fun of her?"....If I did that then that would be a clear indication of someone that has some personal issues....But I wrote what I did for a reason and it was to prove a point.

Or you say that religion is stupid, ergo - the people who believe are stupid? So that means you find your wife stupid.

Some of the smartest people I've ever come across are religious. When you break it down logically I think religion is silly/stupid.

You say you use this forum to get out your angst/whatever concerning religion because you cannot do so in your real life. I also think that is indicative of a personal issue. Believe what you want, and be proud to stand up for it, but don't sh!t on everyone else just because you feel impotent in your own life to do so to those around you.

I talk about religion once in a while because this is a politics and religion forum. I haven't had a psychologist break down the exact reasons for why I post on here once in a while. If I do I will let you know the results.

Btw, that is the difference (imo) between you, and Danno. I feel it's acceptable to criticize the religion without sh!tting on it.

I think you'd have to ask a third party to answer that. Maybe someone like Sofiyya? If I put myself into a Muslim pair of shoes I would find his topics completely disgusting as I am sure Sofiyya does. Danno is basically taking 1 extreme example after another to make Islam look like this backward oppressive religion full of terrorists. I know I have done similar things quite a few times, so I am guilty myself, but you'd have to ask someone like Sofiyya the difference between my style (criticising the concept of God) vs. Danno-style (making Islam look bad; ie sh!tting on Islam) to see which is worse.

Edited by Lord Infamous

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1