Ashley and Manuel

Just getting started on the K-1 visa

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I've spoken with immagration here in the states and the U.S. embassy in Ecuador. I've spoken with a lawyer although, I'm going to do this myself and done some online reading, that's how I found this sight. I'm just not used to all the abbreviations used here. I also plan to do some more reading on it all before anythin gets sent in. I do have a question regarding my fiance's address tho. He only has a street name. It is very common in Ecuador for there to be no house numbers or street names. Their mail gets sent to the post office (he lives in Puyo), but I spoke with immagraton here and she really couldn't help me much with this specific problem. We don't want to get denied for something this minute. Does anyone know what to do here?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you tried asking in the your region specific forum area? i'm sure there are quite a few others with the same address issue, if you hop over to the regional forums for that country i'm sure they could help out with regional specific questions for you.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I also recommend that you contact a fellow Visa Journey member by the name of "TBoneX". The reason I recommend this is because you will be dealing with one of the toughest Embassies in the world (Ecuador) in terms of getting a K1 visa.
I've sent the OP a PM with advice to read the Embassy Info and the Embassy Reviews, attending particularly to the worst stories. She should, of course, read and absorb the basic VJ Guides first.

Tero, I consider it to be a near-violation of the VJ TOS to state flatly, "You do not need a lawyer." You don't know the circumstances or backgrounds of either the petitioner or the beneficiary, and there could be red flags or deal-killers, so please knock it off.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Tero, I consider it to be a near-violation of the VJ TOS to state flatly, "You do not need a lawyer." You don't know the circumstances or backgrounds of either the petitioner or the beneficiary, and there could be red flags or deal-killers, so please knock it off.

TBoneTX, there is no such thing as a "near-violation" of the VJ TOS. You either violate or not. There have been numerous threads where elite members state it that way as well. Here's a quote from the OP: "Is it suggested that I get a 'professional forms preparer' to do this or can I do my petition myself. I feel like I have a solid understanding of the process." meaning the OP is already VJ savvy. You do not go ahead and advise people to use lawyers on things they can do themselves. You let them know first that doing it themselves is very possible. They have to decide for themselves if they want a lawyer.

Timeline
there is no such thing as a "near-violation" of the VJ TOS. You either violate or not.
Friend Tero, not to split hairs, but warnings or admonitions can be issued for irresponsible or reckless advice, or for statements that be mistaken when taken out of precise context. I consider "you do not need a lawyer" to constitute the giving of legal advice, or if not that, at least to be reckless. If the OP takes your advice but really DOES need a lawyer, and ends up in a pickle, how valuable or responsible would "you do not need a lawyer" be then?
"Is it suggested that I get a 'professional forms preparer' to do this or can I do my petition myself. I feel like I have a solid understanding of the process." meaning the OP is already VJ savvy.
Read carefully, please -- the OP is intimidated and overwhelmed. Furthermore, she hadn't yet read the VJ or country-specific Guides, so she was certainly NOT VJ-savvy at the time of her original post. Furthermore, we don't know what kind of "immagration" (sic) personnel she spoke with (the front-line fuzzbrains at USCIS? Other?), or what kind of lawyer, or what kind of advice she was given. The Quito embassy (which which she apparently spoke) has no clue what the Guayaquil consulate does, and the Guayaquil consulate will give only partial information or outright lie to people. In addition, if I interpret her profile statement correctly, she became engaged to her fiance "the next day" after meeting him -- a death sentence at the consular stage. She's apparently 21 years old. She had an unrealistic picture of how long the process from petition to POE takes (which you didn't help to dispel).
You do not go ahead and advise people to use lawyers on things they can do themselves. You let them know first that doing it themselves is very possible. They have to decide for themselves if they want a lawyer.

We still need to determine whether the OP can read instructions accurately, interpret them literally, and answer them honestly and completely. My current impression is that she has a lot to absorb and much to consider before it'll be clear (to any of us) what help she needs. I'd also recommend that she make her planned summer re-visit (see her profile statement) before ANY petition is filed. Edited by TBoneTX

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Friend Tero, not to split hairs, but warnings or admonitions can be issued for irresponsible or reckless advice, or for statements that be mistaken when taken out of precise context. I consider "you do not need a lawyer" to constitute the giving of legal advice, or if not that, at least to be reckless. If the OP takes your advice but really DOES need a lawyer, and ends up in a pickle, how valuable or responsible would "you do not need a lawyer" be then?Read carefully, please -- the OP is intimidated and overwhelmed. Furthermore, she hadn't yet read the VJ or country-specific Guides, so she was certainly NOT VJ-savvy at the time of her original post. Furthermore, we don't know what kind of "immagration" (sic) personnel she spoke with (the front-line fuzzbrains at USCIS? Other?), or what kind of lawyer, or what kind of advice she was given. The Quito embassy (which which she apparently spoke) has no clue what the Guayaquil consulate does, and the Guayaquil consulate will give only partial information or outright lie to people. In addition, if I interpret her profile statement correctly, she became engaged to her fiance "the next day" after meeting him -- a death sentence at the consular stage. She's apparently 21 years old. She had an unrealistic picture of how long the process from petition to POE takes (which you didn't help to dispel).We still need to determine whether the OP can read instructions accurately, interpret them literally, and answer them honestly and completely. My current impression is that she has a lot to absorb and much to consider before it'll be clear (to any of us) what help she needs. I'd also recommend that she make her planned summer re-visit (see her profile statement) before ANY petition is filed.

TBoneTX, with due respect, it is one thing for a member to post an incorrect info on a thread(not that I did), it is another for them to violate the VJ TOS. If I gave an incorrect info, all someone else who knows better has to do is simply say "that is not true" and give their reasons. The OP said she met her fiance while on a school trip, it would be berating to assume she cannot read instructions accurately, interpret them literally, and answer them honestly and completely. There is nothing on her original post that says she got engaged "the next day" after meeting her fiance. By the way, simply saying "you do not need a lawyer. You can do it yourself" is just a personal advice and not a legal one. A legal advice would be one pertaining to the law or an officially authorized protocol. USCIS does not state anywhere that lawyers are to be used. You could have started by telling me no to just conclude she does not need a lawyer and give me the reasons you think so instead of telling me you consider what I said as a near-violation of VJ TOS.

Timeline
There is nothing on her original post that says she got engaged "the next day" after meeting her fiance.
Friend Tero: Click on her profile and read her write-up (part of the research involved in helping people). The language is vague, but I interpreted it as best as possible pending later clarification.
"you do not need a lawyer. You can do it yourself" is just a personal advice and not a legal one. A legal advice would be one pertaining to the law or an officially authorized protocol.
Technically so, but the advice could have that same impact (that is, causing later legal repercussions) in practice. The truth is that none of us knows enough about the questioners, their capabilities, or their situations to ever responsibly offer a flat statement like that, as personal advice or not. It's a lot tougher to extricate one's self from a pickle than to avoid the pickle in the first place, right?

Peace, si man.

Timeline

Friend Tero: Click on her profile and read her write-up (part of the research involved in helping people). The language is vague, but I interpreted it as best as possible pending later clarification.Technically so, but the advice could have that same impact (that is, causing later legal repercussions) in practice. The truth is that none of us knows enough about the questioners, their capabilities, or their situations to ever responsibly offer a flat statement like that, as personal advice or not. It's a lot tougher to extricate one's self from a pickle than to avoid the pickle in the first place, right?

Peace, si man.

Friend TBoneTX, thanks for the direction, she did say something like that in her profile story. However, it is not always ideal to advise the use of a lawyer from the onset of a petition, not even for the OP's case. "You do not need a lawyer. You can do it yourself" is a very true statements (which most would agree with) that no where hints any near violation of VJ TOS. You would agree that there are many cases that got lawyers involved and still got denied or took long as well as many other's that didn't use lawyers but got their visas regardless of complications along the way. As you know, the use of a lawyer has no guarantee for a visa or timeliness. There are many similar cases to hers that did not require lawyers. You sound like, you are already making a prejudgment as you are doubting the OP's ability to do this whole thing herself. You can give the OP your advice on why you think she should use a lawyer, while someone else advises that she can do it herself, and let the OP decide as the choice is ultimately hers. It is not ok to formulate a "near-violation" of VJ TOS and "attack" from that angle when none of the advises given is really wrong.

Edited by Tero

Timeline

OP, amongst the numerous cases asking for the need for a lawyer, I have posted one thread below along with some Questions and Answers link to help you make your decision. Check out Question 3.12. Good luck.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-I129f.html

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/271477-is-an-immigration-lawyer-a-good-idea/page__st__20

Edited by Tero

Timeline

Lawyers aren't always necessary, true. Some good "visa service" agencies are also out there. The whole point was (and is) that "you do not need a lawyer; you can do it yourself" can be interpreted as "yes, it is technically possible to do this yourself" or as "absolutely no one needs a lawyer and absolutely everyone can do it himself." Big difference, si man. This is why elaboration beyond that one "you do not... you can..." statement is crucial, si man? :thumbs:

Timeline

Lawyers aren't always necessary, true. Some good "visa service" agencies are also out there. The whole point was (and is) that "you do not need a lawyer; you can do it yourself" can be interpreted as "yes, it is technically possible to do this yourself" or as "absolutely no one needs a lawyer and absolutely everyone can do it himself." Big difference, si man. This is why elaboration beyond that one "you do not... you can..." statement is crucial, si man? :thumbs:

Friend, no one is saying lawyers are never needed. The advice for the use of a lawyer is dependent on the particular case/complications. There have been cases where lawyers have been recommended. This particular case is not one that a lawyer must be recommended from the get-go. And the whole reason for this back and forth between us is the "near violation of VJ TOS" you construed my advice to be. You can interpret my statement however you want but I believe everyone else here understood what I meant by what I said, and what I'm still saying. This is not the type of case to advise the use of a lawyer right away. Friend, I am starting to suspect you are a lawyer and are fighting to get clients :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.