sigler

US Citizen living abroad

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Can a US Citizen living abroad file an I-130 on behalf of a sibling? I know that when the visa becomes available he/she will have to to have a US domicile in order to file the affidavit of support, but can the sponsor live overseas while the priority date isn't current yet? I'm assuming it's ok since the consulate's website lists instructions for US Citizens filing an I-130 for siblings, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experiences on the matter. Also, the I-864 instructions talk about domicile or "intent" to establish a domicile...

Thanks for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

With the time line for siblings you are free to be where ever you want while the visa is in a holding pattern but unless you are in the US when the interview time come because the whole theory is to reunite the two of you

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Can a US Citizen living abroad file an I-130 on behalf of a sibling? I know that when the visa becomes available he/she will have to to have a US domicile in order to file the affidavit of support, but can the sponsor live overseas while the priority date isn't current yet? I'm assuming it's ok since the consulate's website lists instructions for US Citizens filing an I-130 for siblings, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experiences on the matter. Also, the I-864 instructions talk about domicile or "intent" to establish a domicile...

Thanks for your help.

yes you can file the I-130 while outside the USA and while living outside the USA. You can remain there while the petition is pending... and even when it is approved by USCIS. You can file the AOS - still while outside the USA and involve a joint sponsor if necessary . Thing is you will need to show that the sponsor intend in good faith to reestablish his/her domicile in

the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

With the time line for siblings you are free to be where ever you want while the visa is in a holding pattern but unless you are in the US when the interview time come because the whole theory is to reunite the two of you

Actually the sponsor can be outside the US even when the interview view times comes.. even after. IF the sponsor is outside the USA the can return to the USA the same day as the intending immigrant. My mom is outside the USA as the case in the F2A category is pending and will more likely still remain there - maybe.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Timeline

yes you can file the I-130 while outside the USA and while living outside the USA. You can remain there while the petition is pending... and even when it is approved by USCIS. You can file the AOS - still while outside the USA and involve a joint sponsor if necessary . Thing is you will need to show that the sponsor intend in good faith to reestablish his/her domicile in

the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status.

That's exactly the impression I got from my research on the matter.. Thanks for your reply.

Timeline

That's exactly the impression I got from my research on the matter.. Thanks for your reply.

You' will be okay.. My mother case in the USA on December 19, 2010. Got her passport stamped upon entry.. she applied for her SSN on 12/20 and got it on 12/27 on 12/28 She submitted the I-130 for my brother. She left the country on 1/3/2011 and the NOA1 arrived on 1/6/2011 when she was not in the USA. She will remain outside the USA until she's ready to come and her GC will not be affected as we have that basis covered.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.