max+patricia

Form differences + process after visa?

6 posts in this topic

Hey all, I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

* In regards to I-134 and I-864, I know the differences are primarily that I-134 is "pretty basic" and used at the time of the interview, while I-864 is "pretty thorough" and used during AOS - but there are a few differences between the forms itself that I'm not sure how to cover. On I-864 there is a place to include my fiancee's assets, but on I-134 there isn't. I want to include her assets since they are fairly substantial and I know they would benefit our standing in the interview (my income is above the poverty guideline requirement, but only by a few thousand). Can we just bring a bank statement or list showing what her assets are worth, for added support if needed? Any ideas?

* Also, on I-134 there is one place to include info about one job (I-864 has two places, if I remember correctly). I have two jobs. The combination of them puts me above the poverty guidelines, but if I only list one, it doesn't. Can I write both jobs on the same line and include the total income below? Attach a seperate sheet? No idea.

* I have been OCD about organizing things (even though I know it'll all be torn apart and put into files how NVC and the embassy wants) - but my question is - the packet we sent off to USCIS, gets forwarded on to the embassy, right? We bring the ORIGINALS that we have to the embassy at the time of interview - but they already have the same one (the copy) that we sent? After the whole visa process with the embassy, for AOS, is the packet we sent to USCIS required for that too? Or is that a totally different file we start? I'm confused about that entirely and would appreciate some input.

Thank you! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1) Only a few consulates allow use of foreign assets, and they require documentation as to how the assets will be transferred to the USA, London is the only one I know of that explains this. I would keep it simple and not use foreign assets.

2) Yes you can list 2 jobs and use the total income, either note them on same line, or attach a sheet listing the two jobs.

3) Only thing that AOS uses from initial petition will be copy of foreign birth cert, and perhaps recycle most of the evidence used for the Affidavit of Support.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

1) Only a few consulates allow use of foreign assets, and they require documentation as to how the assets will be transferred to the USA, London is the only one I know of that explains this. I would keep it simple and not use foreign assets.

2) Yes you can list 2 jobs and use the total income, either note them on same line, or attach a sheet listing the two jobs.

3) Only thing that AOS uses from initial petition will be copy of foreign birth cert, and perhaps recycle most of the evidence used for the Affidavit of Support.

Thank you for the response!

The reason I inquire at all about the use of foreign assets on the I-134 is because my 2010 tax return was just shy of the guideline requirement, but my current income now is over it (I only worked 9/12 months last year since I was a full-time student). I'm just not entirely confident that my current income will be deemed sufficient enough, even though I have emailed the embassy and was told that current income is more important than the prior year anyway. I guess we'll avoid using her assets and see how we're judged.

One last thing - regarding the AOS - will we get the originals of our packet back at the embassy? (My original birth certificate, letters, etc?) Thanks again :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thank you for the response!

The reason I inquire at all about the use of foreign assets on the I-134 is because my 2010 tax return was just shy of the guideline requirement, but my current income now is over it (I only worked 9/12 months last year since I was a full-time student). I'm just not entirely confident that my current income will be deemed sufficient enough, even though I have emailed the embassy and was told that current income is more important than the prior year anyway. I guess we'll avoid using her assets and see how we're judged.

One last thing - regarding the AOS - will we get the originals of our packet back at the embassy? (My original birth certificate, letters, etc?) Thanks again :)

Afidavit of support should be fine as long as you attach good evidence of current and future income. (Copies of past 6 months pay stubs, Letter from employer) I can be easily estimated whet your income last year would have been if you had worked 12 months, just take the 9.5 month total divide my 9.5 and multiply by 12 months. Same goes for current income, take the amount you made for the months leading up to interview divide bu months then multiply by 12.

As for originals you should have sent copies to USCIS, and bring originals to interview, they look at them and give back.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Afidavit of support should be fine as long as you attach good evidence of current and future income. (Copies of past 6 months pay stubs, Letter from employer) I can be easily estimated whet your income last year would have been if you had worked 12 months, just take the 9.5 month total divide my 9.5 and multiply by 12 months. Same goes for current income, take the amount you made for the months leading up to interview divide bu months then multiply by 12.

As for originals you should have sent copies to USCIS, and bring originals to interview, they look at them and give back.

Excellent! Thank you!! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.