Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Need passport for ROC?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

It's been a great break from all this since AOS, but almost 2 years later, here I am again. I'll be filing for ROC in the next couple of months.

My question is about my passport. I need to file for ROC by May 18, and my Canadian passport expires in July of this year. Do I need my passport for any of this? Will I run into problems if we have an interview and my passport is expired by then or if I don't have a passport because I'm waiting for it to be renewed?

Thanks for your help. I did search for this topic but didn't find the answer.

2007, 2009, 2011


2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Timeline


you will need your passport, not only for ROC but more so for the N-400 a year from now. Your expired passport that is.

If you are accused of shooting someone, the cops will want to see the gun that's registered in your name for many years, not the one you just bought at Walmart.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

I'm not at the ROC stage yet, but my wife had to renew her passport a couple months ago and it literally took 10 days even mailed from the states. I would just get a new one in a few months. You can request them to send you back your old one so you'll have your valid passport and your expired passport if necessary.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved


2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered


2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada

The only time you might need your passport - I did - is if USCIS neglects to mail you your extension letter (NOA1) extending your current green card for another year.

I had to go to the local USCIS office and get the I-551 stamp placed in my passport so I had proof of my legal status in the US. I renewed my passport shortly before I filed for ROC specifically so it would be valid at the time, however, you can use an expired passport as well. You would need to bring in two passport style photographs to an InfoPass appointment and they would then create an I-94 using the photographs, stamp it with the I-551 stamp and staple it in the expired/expiring passport giving you proof of your extended status while the ROC is processing.

It took less about 10 days for me to get my new passport back as well - I couriered it there and they couriered it back to me - so you have several options: you can renew your passport now and it will be renewed by the time you need to file (request the old one returned as well), you can renew it after you receive your NOA1 extension letter, or you can just let it expire and if you don't get the NOA1 extension letter within 30 days of filing, you can get the I-94/I-551 stapled into the expired/expiring passport. You can even let this passport expire and then request a new one without having to send in the old passport.

You won't run into any problems with regards to the ROC application or interview itself. It is just a good idea, as a non-US citizen (even a resident alien) to have a passport from their country of citizenship for their own protection, especially if you need to fly back to Canada. You can enter Canada with your birth certificate and the US with your green card and extension letter - but the airlines require a passport for you to fly across the international border..

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...