Empress of Groovy

LinkedIn etiquette question

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've been on LinkedIn for about 4-5 years or so and find it to be quite valuable, especially for my field. I think I have about 175 contacts or so, which is probably about the going rate... I would say that I know about 160 or so of them personally and have worked with these folks over the course of my career. The other 25 or so are recruiters that keep doors open for me...even if I'm not looking...they tap me every once in a while and say that they've found an opportunity that I might be interested in...and like AJ said, that is a good way to keep your finger on the pulse of the job market.

I don't see the value of adding a bunch of people I don't know though...but, I guess that's just my preference.

I would say that I do get a lot of traffic coming across my LinkedIn profile. And, it did pay off for me as well...cuz I got my current job through LinkedIn :dance: Not through one of my connections, but through a recruiter who liked what he saw on my profile. And, the recruiter did say that he liked the resumes/profiles of the people I had as connections because it shows a direct link to my specific field and the extent to which I've worked with people of the same professional interest. That made sense to me.

So, to that extent, I'd spend some time building a nice profile first, and then adding people.

One thing about LinkedIn ettiquette: it is a site for professionals, meaning that it ain't 'FaceBook'. One of my old colleagues obviously can't tell the difference between LinkedIn and Facebook, because he keeps posting junk like 'Well...I'm tired now, going to bed/etc' on his profile. That kinda junk doesn't really belong on LinkedIn. So,once you build your LinkedIn profile (which is basically just your resume, plus some personal recommendations/etc) then it basically remains static, unless you have career updates/change projects/etc...

Good Luck and blessings to you with your job search Sister Joyce! I'm sure you'll land something grroooovvyy soon! :thumbs:

BishopM

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Thanks for the luck! I'm hopeful that something totally groovy will come up soon.

I know it's professional and not social. I wouldn't have considered looking for either of these chicks on Facebook.

I should clarify that the husband isn't adding anyone and everyone, just people he's had a professional relationship with--a colleague or former colleague, or perhaps a vendor or someone from an agency he's worked closely with.

I'm still working my way around the site. It looks like they've made a few changes to make it more like Facebook (the "What's on your mind?" update feature, for example).

The more I think about it, the more I think it's odd that both are apparently ignoring my request--like they're embarrassed or something. Well, they should be. :whistle:

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

• 1 month later...

So...it seems that this company (that is, the company I interviewed with and that employs [i think] these two self-important chicks) is under investigation for fraud. It was in the paper this morning. The company's main revenue streams have effectively been cut off. My former colleague has already jumped ship and has another job.

Schadenfreude. I just can't help it.

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
So...it seems that this company (that is, the company I interviewed with and that employs [i think] these two self-important chicks) is under investigation for fraud.
Interesting -- thanks for the update. Perhaps it adds weight to the saying "Everything happens for a reason," si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Interesting -- thanks for the update. Perhaps it adds weight to the saying "Everything happens for a reason," si man.

I'm certainly relieved I wasn't offered the job, because I would have taken it. I had no idea that their practices were, as the (Brit) husband would say, distinctly dodgy. I heard from my former colleague, who said, "Legal trouble isn't the half of it! You wouldn't believe the trouble they're in!"

K-1

AOS