Empress of Groovy

LinkedIn etiquette question

20 posts in this topic

Yo

I'm actively looking for a regular full-time job after having worked on a freelance basis for the last four years. I've had a LinkedIn account since 2007 but have only really started paying attention to it and sending people requests to join my network. My husband uses it a lot and is amassing a fairly large network because he includes pretty much anyone he's had professional contact with. Apparently this is a common approach because people figure the more, the better.

I had an interview about a month ago for a job that I thought seemed liked an excellent fit. An acquaintance I worked with a few years ago now, Petunia*, works at the company and generously got the inside scoop on the job and the department for me (she works in a different dept.). I interviewed with two ladies, Karen and Samantha; both seemed reasonably nice, although my impression of the company was mixed. It's growing very quickly (the number of employees has tripled in six months), and the hiring process was weird and clunky. For example, I had to take a personality test and some sort of IQ test. Also, the HR guy I dealt with initially was kind of a dolt and missed a scheduled preliminary phone interview. This was a real pisser because I have a baby and had my mom come over to watch her during that time. Anyway, I was not offered the job, but Petunia found out that Karen liked me and was leaning toward me, but Samantha wanted someone else for a pretty flimsy reason. Petunia mentioned that she thinks Samantha is a real beeyotch, with subpar managerial skills and a bossy, unpleasant, manipulative demeanor (the position would report to Karen, so it's interesting that Samantha's choice was offered the job).

Both ladies are on LinkedIn, and both have many connections. In fact, Samantha has about 600, so it appears that she doesn't have a personal relationship with all her contacts. Karen has something like 200. I was talking to the husband about whether I should send them invitations, and he said of course I should. They're more or less in my field, they've met me, they know my professional background, etc. Makes sense to me. So, I sent them invitations last week. So far, neither has added me.

My question(s): Are they being weirdo bitchez about this, or do they think I'm some kind of weirdo stalker who wants to haunt them because they didn't offer me the job? Was it presumptuous of me to add them?

* All names are pseudonyms

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Timeline

My husband uses it a lot and is amassing a fairly large network because he includes pretty much anyone he's had professional contact with.

My question(s): Are they being weirdo bitchez about this, or do they think I'm some kind of weirdo stalker who wants to haunt them because they didn't offer me the job? Was it presumptuous of me to add them?

I don't add anyone I had an unpleasant interaction with or anyone I don't like. I also don't add people I interviewed with if they didn't make me an offer unless they call or email me and I get the impression they liked me but didn't make the offer regardless.

As for people not accepting your invites, I know people who will accept invites and then delete you immediately. You get an email saying blahdiblah accepted your invite but of course you never get notified when they delete your a s s.

I don't add anyone I had an unpleasant interaction with or anyone I don't like. I also don't add people I interviewed with if they didn't make me an offer unless they call or email me and I get the impression they liked me but didn't make the offer regardless.

As for people not accepting your invites, I know people who will accept invites and then delete you immediately. You get an email saying blahdiblah accepted your invite but of course you never get notified when they delete your a s s.

It's all very strange, isn't it? I wasn't going to send an invitation to Samantha until I saw she had hundreds of connections. I suppose it was mostly out of curiosity. I'm more surprised that Karen didn't accept the invitation. Phoenix isn't exactly a publishing hotbed, so you tend to run into the same people. Then again, Samantha just moved here from the NYC area and perhaps doesn't know that.

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I started using LinkedIn recently, so I can't help you on the etiquette question. As a Facebook user, I would say that's weird that they won't add you.

Speaking of LinkedIn, I just got a call from a recruiter and I agreed to let him add me on LinkedIn. I see that he only has 28 connections. #######?

It's all very strange, isn't it? I wasn't going to send an invitation to Samantha until I saw she had hundreds of connections. I suppose it was mostly out of curiosity. I'm more surprised that Karen didn't accept the invitation. Phoenix isn't exactly a publishing hotbed, so you tend to run into the same people. Then again, Samantha just moved here from the NYC area and perhaps doesn't know that.

Do you check profiles of people you're going to interview with as part of your interview prep? I do, but feel weird doing it because they can tell you visited (depending on your settings). So I have a friend visit it for me and I visit profiles he needs to see but doesn't want to be seen seeing it :lol:

Speaking of LinkedIn, I just got a call from a recruiter and I agreed to let him add me on LinkedIn. I see that he only has 28 connections. #######?

He is likely just getting started. I have had a few calls recently too and added them. Except this one lady from Accenture, she never asked to add me so I asked to add her, saying I'm not ready to make a move yet but when I am I'd like to touch base with you. She ignored me.

Timeline

He is likely just getting started. I have had a few calls recently too and added them. Except this one lady from Accenture, she never asked to add me so I asked to add her, saying I'm not ready to make a move yet but when I am I'd like to touch base with you. She ignored me.

You're probably right. Geez though, kind of late for a recruiter to be getting on LinkedIn, no?

Do you check profiles of people you're going to interview with as part of your interview prep? I do, but feel weird doing it because they can tell you visited (depending on your settings). So I have a friend visit it for me and I visit profiles he needs to see but doesn't want to be seen seeing it :lol:

Oh dear. What settings are these? Does this mean they can see you visited even if you're not in their network? It's all so confusing.

K-1

AOS

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just my impression is that it would be a little awkward to be invited to join your network after being passed up for the job, but I understand the thought behind it. I've been with LinkedIn for about 4 years and IMO, having a zillion connections is meaningless. It's quality, not quantity.

Timeline

How long has he been a recruiter? Can you tell from his profile?

"many years". I guess that's a possibility, but he sounded pretty old on the phone. Maybe he's so old that things on the internet are difficult for him.

Just my impression is that it would be a little awkward to be invited to join your network after being passed up for the job, but I understand the thought behind it. I've been with LinkedIn for about 4 years and IMO, having a zillion connections is meaningless. It's quality, not quantity.

Re: quantity, that was my thought initially, but I can see the advantage in keeping in touch w/ people you've had a professional interaction with, especially if you have a specific skill. You never know when someone you worked with briefly five years ago might be instrumental in helping you get a job now.

The awkwardness thing did enter my mind, but I thought sending an invitation would indicate that I didn't take it personally. Of course, I've worked with people who would never want to be a "second choice" and might pass up an offer on principle.

K-1

AOS

... having a zillion connections is meaningless. It's quality, not quantity.

I've added a few recruiters I don't know and have never met. I saw their profiles on LinkedIn, noticed they said anyone can add them so I did. And it's not really meaningless or useless because some of them frequently post relevant and interesting job listings and when I do decide to actively look I suspect these recruiters may come in handy. If nothing else, I'm getting a view into what some recruiters are looking for and that is useful information.

https://www.linkedin.com/secure/settings

and go to Profile Views under Privacy.

Thanks! I need to spend more time on the site, I think.

K-1

AOS