thetreble

I'm back! With a Passport Question for all you smart cookies

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys!

I hope you are doing well. I should really come around more often.

My passport is up for renewal. (ughhh) I really just feel like filling in the simplified renewal froam and keeping my passport in my maiden name. However, will I be breaking any laws or legalities in doing so if all my US documents (Greencard, SS Card, etc.) have my married name on them? I haven't had too many problems with my current Canadian passport saying my maiden name and my Resident Card saying my married name. I always bring my marriage certificate just in case. Most of my travel is between the US and Canada any way and I have a NEXUS xard.

I know what you're thinking. Just go ahead with the passport application to update my name, etc. But there is so much more stuff involved that I don't feel I've got time to do.

What do you think? Any strong options either way?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Hey guys!

My passport is up for renewal. (ughhh) I really just feel like filling in the simplified renewal froam and keeping my passport in my maiden name. However, will I be breaking any laws or legalities in doing so if all my US documents (Greencard, SS Card, etc.) have my married name on them? I haven't had too many problems with my current Canadian passport saying my maiden name and my Resident Card saying my married name. I always bring my marriage certificate just in case. Most of my travel is between the US and Canada any way and I have a NEXUS xard.

I know what you're thinking. Just go ahead with the passport application to update my name, etc. But there is so much more stuff involved that I don't feel I've got time to do.

Well Hai! I think the only thing you'll need to do is have your marriage certificate tatooed on your arm so you don't have to bring it along to show the name change if asked :) All kidding aside I don't think there are any legal ramifications.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hey guys!

Hi!

All of your documentation, including your passport, should be issued under the same name. If you have changed the name on your other identification documents, your passport should reflect the same name. Applicants who have changed their name cannot have a passport issued in their new name through the Simplified Passport Renewal Process.

Here is some info for you :)

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section1.aspx?lang=eng

Filed: Timeline

Nice to see you again, Treble.

I did the simplified renewal because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, either. The only time it caused me any grief was when I went to my NEXUS interview but the American Officer bailed me out of that one. Bad Karma wishes against the Canadian Officer. :angry: Anywho.... I've travelled all over God's green earth with it and all the rest of my ID in my married name. I don't even bother bringing my marriage certificate with me anymore because it's such a non issue. You aren't breaking any laws because it is still, legally, your name. Hope this helps.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Nice to see you again, Treble.

I did the simplified renewal because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, either. The only time it caused me any grief was when I went to my NEXUS interview but the American Officer bailed me out of that one. Bad Karma wishes against the Canadian Officer. :angry: Anywho.... I've travelled all over God's green earth with it and all the rest of my ID in my married name. I don't even bother bringing my marriage certificate with me anymore because it's such a non issue. You aren't breaking any laws because it is still, legally, your name. Hope this helps.

Hey Krikit!

It does help me a lot. But then when I read the link posted above it does state that you have to file all your documents under one name. But if you have done it successfully, then I don't see why I can't.

My eyes filled with grit

But then when I read the link posted above it does state that you have to file all your documents under one name.

I wonder if it's not a problem because all my US ID is in my married name and all my Canadian ID is under my former name. In any event, the wording is "should be" and not "must be", so that right there tells you it's not mandatory. I recall a passport officer from my renewal just prior to my moving here telling me to keep my Canadian ID going just in case I returned.

iagree.gif

Just to let you know, as of this past October or November (2010), the FAA and HLS changed the travel regulations. Now when you fly, your passport MUST match your ID, no exceptions. I just found out about this in December. If you drive it won't be an issue, but it will be if you fly. I know it's a big pain in the but to renew your passpost especially a CND because the rules are tighter than some other countries on the renewal process, but it is worth the hassel, and hey, at least when it's time to renew this one down the road you can fill out the simplified form.

Hope this helps

Timeline

If you fly internationally then your passport is your ID, no? I don't remember ever being asked for any additional identification. Generally one piece of photo ID in a name that matches your ticket is fine. If you fly in internationally, just book the ticket in your maiden name so it matches the passport, and I don't see how that would be an issue. If you tried to fly internationally with a ticket in your married name while your passport was in your maiden name then yes, I could see that being a problem.

I don't see an issue with it treble. I've been traveling with my passport in my maiden name and my GC in my married name and so far no issues at all. If it's been working for you, it should keep working!

Just to let you know, as of this past October or November (2010), the FAA and HLS changed the travel regulations. Now when you fly, your passport MUST match your ID, no exceptions. I just found out about this in December. If you drive it won't be an issue, but it will be if you fly. I know it's a big pain in the but to renew your passpost especially a CND because the rules are tighter than some other countries on the renewal process, but it is worth the hassel, and hey, at least when it's time to renew this one down the road you can fill out the simplified form.

I am in agreement with Huggles. The passport IS your ID. They don't ask for additional. I have flown multiple times since the date you mention and have never been asked to prove that all my ID match. In fact, my NEXUS card is in my married name and not my passport name, and it still wasn't a problem when going through the NEXUS kiosk at the airport after using my passport. All passports and NEXUS cards and greencards have your other names digitally encoded. It is not illegal.

iagree.gif

Timeline

If you fly internationally then your passport is your ID, no? I don't remember ever being asked for any additional identification. Generally one piece of photo ID in a name that matches your ticket is fine. If you fly in internationally, just book the ticket in your maiden name so it matches the passport, and I don't see how that would be an issue. If you tried to fly internationally with a ticket in your married name while your passport was in your maiden name then yes, I could see that being a problem.

I don't see an issue with it treble. I've been traveling with my passport in my maiden name and my GC in my married name and so far no issues at all. If it's been working for you, it should keep working!

Which is exactly what I do now. I just book my tickets in my maiden name. Have never had a problem, really.

Thanks for all your input, yall!

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am in the process of doing this and didn't find it all that difficult to use the longer form. I just used my Mom as my guarantor, I scanned all of my IDs and send her to the files to print and sign. When I was home at Xmas I took my photos at Blacks and had her sign one, and sign the form. But even if I hadn't gone home, I would've just mailed her the form and photo and had her mail it back to me.

The last time I travelled at Xmas, the Air Canada check-in lady said that they since Nov. since some regulations changed (as tbaygrrl mentioned) they have been giving people more trouble with travelling in a maiden name and presenting a green card in a married name. I didn't have any issues, but I figure I might as well get my passport in my new to save myself any future trouble since it could cause me more hassle at the border. I'd rather have the hassle now than when I'm traveling and just want to get home.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I am in the process of doing this and didn't find it all that difficult to use the longer form. I just used my Mom as my guarantor, I scanned all of my IDs and send her to the files to print and sign. When I was home at Xmas I took my photos at Blacks and had her sign one, and sign the form. But even if I hadn't gone home, I would've just mailed her the form and photo and had her mail it back to me.

The last time I travelled at Xmas, the Air Canada check-in lady said that they since Nov. since some regulations changed (as tbaygrrl mentioned) they have been giving people more trouble with travelling in a maiden name and presenting a green card in a married name. I didn't have any issues, but I figure I might as well get my passport in my new to save myself any future trouble since it could cause me more hassle at the border. I'd rather have the hassle now than when I'm traveling and just want to get home.

Okay.

My eyes filled with grit

If your ticket matches your passport you will be ok, so booking it in your maiden name would be the best, as Huggles said. It's when the ticket doesn't match the passport name it becomes an issue. Last time I flew, I had my marriage certificate in my passport, and at the check in counter the clerk gave me the hardest time because ID didn't match ticket. It took over an hr to be let through after a slew of phone calls to her supervisor, so I missed my flight. The regulations have been changed and some check in attendants will be more sticklers than others, best thing in my opinion, is book your ticket in maiden name to Canada, then expedite passport application when in Canada, (more cash but worth it), then it's done, just have 2 people plus one back up for a gaurentor ready. Then all your ID's match and down the rd when it's time to renew again, all you have to do is send in the simplified form.

Just trying to save you the hassel that I had to go through with ID and ticket not matching and to give a heads up of regulation changes.

Have a great trip. Cheers

Hope this helps

No wonder I caused confusion, where my post said ID, it was suppose to say ticket....I'll just blame it on pregnancy brain :-P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.