sjr09

Lawmakers Introduce Birthright Citizenship Bills

9 posts in this topic

Federal and state lawmakers introduced legislation last week that tackles the issue of birthright citizenship. In Arizona, state Senator Ron Gould and state Representative John Kavanagh introduced two bills to change how Arizona defines state citizenship. (Arizona Central, January 27, 2011) The first bill seeks to define an Arizona citizen as someone lawfully domiciled in Arizona who is born in the U.S. and is subject to the jurisdiction thereof. (SB 1309; HB 2561) The second bill directs the State of Arizona into a state compact, subject to Congressional approval, under which the member states will issue different birth certificates for those who qualify as citizens of the state. (HB 2562; SB 1308) In developing the legislation, Gould and Kavanagh worked with Senate President Russell Pearce, who has been active on this issue for years and led the effort to pass SB 1070 in Arizona last year. (Arizona Central, January 27, 2011) These bills are part of an agreement made between state legislators from numerous states to work together to eliminate the practice of granting birthright citizenship regardless of the immigration status of the parents.

On the national level, Republican Senators David Vitter (LA) and Rand Paul (KY) proposed a constitutional amendment to restrict birthright citizenship late last week. (S.J. Res. 2) The proposal would amend the constitution so that children born in the U.S. are only considered automatic citizens if one parent is a U.S. citizen, one parent is a legal immigrant, or one parent is a non-immigrant active member of the Armed Forces. (Fox News, January 28, 2011) Senator Vitter voiced concern that the assurance of children of illegal aliens becoming citizens automatically is continuing to ratchet up illegal immigration numbers. (Id.) "Closing this loophole will not prevent them from becoming citizens, but will ensure that they have to go through the same process as anyone else who wants to become an American citizen," Senator Vitter said. (Id.)

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

More smoke and mirrors. People do not come here to have babies. They have babies to come here.

End the attraction to come here and the baby issue is a non-issue.

Strict financial punishment for anyone that hires an illegal alien OR handsome rewards for anyone that hires (and proves they hire) legal residents or citizens. When it is financially stupid to give them jobs, they will leave and take their babies with them.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I hate it, but unfortunately it's something this country desperately needs.

The United States and Canada are the only two remaining first-world countries

that grant birthright citizenship to children born within their borders.

Of the two, Canada doesn't have a serious problem with illegal immigration,

as most of them end up here. They will probably see a lot more illegals

once we repeal the 14th Amendment.

Can't have it both ways - free healthcare and welfare benefits for all and

unrestricted immigration.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I hate it, but unfortunately it's something this country desperately needs.

The United States and Canada are the only two remaining first-world countries

that grant birthright citizenship to children born within their borders.

Of the two, Canada doesn't have a serious problem with illegal immigration,

as most of them end up here. They will probably see a lot more illegals

once we repeal the 14th Amendment.

Can't have it both ways - free healthcare and welfare benefits for all and

unrestricted immigration.

Actually Canada has been having problems with immigration and have increased their standards, especially those seeking asylum.

More smoke and mirrors. People do not come here to have babies. They have babies to come here.

End the attraction to come here and the baby issue is a non-issue.

Strict financial punishment for anyone that hires an illegal alien OR handsome rewards for anyone that hires (and proves they hire) legal residents or citizens. When it is financially stupid to give them jobs, they will leave and take their babies with them.

How can you end the attraction when you have a President like Obama who used his State of the Union address last Tuesday to renew the call ‘Dream Act’ for its passage. “There are “hundreds of thousands of students excelling in our schools who are not U.S. citizens,” he said. Many of these “live every day with the threat of deportation.”

'PAU' both wife and daughter in the U.S. 08/25/2009

Daughter's' CRBA Manila Embassy 08/07/2008 dual citizenship

http://crbausembassy....wordpress.com/

Timeline

How can you end the attraction when you have a President like Obama who used his State of the Union address last Tuesday to renew the call ‘Dream Act’ for its passage. “There are “hundreds of thousands of students excelling in our schools who are not U.S. citizens,” he said. Many of these “live every day with the threat of deportation.”

Well, we DO need students who excel in our schools. The problem is,

most of them don't - education is not exactly at the top of most

illegals' list of priorities.

Let's keep the winners and deport the losers. A basic SAT or ACT

test would do the trick.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm a "registered" independent and although I'm so very upset with Obama's BS on so many levels, still consider him the lesser evil to . . . say . . . Sarah Palin or any other Repub that's somewhat in the race for 2012. Still, even as a self-proclaimed progressive, I am in full support to either amend or reinterpret the 14th Amendment in this regard.

Jus soli had its time when the freed slaves were afraid to having to swim or being shipped back to Africa. Those times are over now and the US needs to get a grip on this and follow the footsteps on about any other civilized nation on the planet. We cannot any longer afford to pay the hefty bill of illegal immigrants having babies at "no money down, no money later" in our country's emergency rooms. Any illegal immigrant who enters an ER and asks for help should be helped, of course, but the moment medical treatment has been performed and the patient is stable, he or she should be taken into custody and deported.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I'm a "registered" independent and although I'm so very upset with Obama's BS on so many levels, still consider him the lesser evil to . . . say . . . Sarah Palin or any other Repub that's somewhat in the race for 2012. Still, even as a self-proclaimed progressive, I am in full support to either amend or reinterpret the 14th Amendment in this regard.

Jus soli had its time when the freed slaves were afraid to having to swim or being shipped back to Africa. Those times are over now and the US needs to get a grip on this and follow the footsteps on about any other civilized nation on the planet. We cannot any longer afford to pay the hefty bill of illegal immigrants having babies at "no money down, no money later" in our country's emergency rooms. Any illegal immigrant who enters an ER and asks for help should be helped, of course, but the moment medical treatment has been performed and the patient is stable, he or she should be taken into custody and deported.

Probably the first time Bob and I agree.