Marikiya_dhr

I-751 February 2011 Filers

1,102 posts in this topic

I am rooting for you, I am also curious to observe your N-400 process because I could not find anyone who filed N-400 before the approval of I-751. You should keep us updated.

I will. Grizzly who replied earlier in this thread also plans to do the same, so there's at least two of us. As I mentioned before, the reason I'm eligible so soon is that I filed the I-751 practically the last week before my green card expired in February.

Jeremy are you getting Ready for your interview? It is coming in a couple of weeks...

Get ready we all want you to have success....

Yep, we're getting stuff together, letters from my wife's employer, affidavits from some friends who were our neighbours for three years until this summer, my in-laws, a Sheriff's Deputy who does works security (in his official capacity) at my wife's office and knows I pick her up and drop her off most days - I figured he has weight as an upstanding member of the community...). Getting the affidavit from my in-laws was like pulling teeth - they're very stoic people and getting them to describe our relationship on paper and sign it under oath was.... interesting :lol:

Everybody keeps telling me (including my wife) that it'll be fine and I'm sure it will be. It's impossible not to be nervous though, and I know I've been a right grumpy git lately as a result :lol:

Hey Coloso. Probably sending the citizenship application out tomorrow. Also got a senator involved. I was in touch with a lawyer colleague of mine specialized in the field of immigration who says he has several cases pending 8+ months at Vermont with no explanation.

As I understand it, when you file the N-400, your I-751 will be immediately frozen and will be adjudicated at naturalization interview along with your N-400 and then of course, no green card will be produced. Kinda irritating to spend that much money for absolutely no tangible outcome, no? :rolleyes:. If I get my GC promptly after the interview, I'll probably only have it for a month or two plus N-400 processing time before it too is useless. It's all about feeding the bureaucracy machine, I suppose :P

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

As I understand it, when you file the N-400, your I-751 will be immediately frozen and will be adjudicated at naturalization interview along with your N-400 and then of course, no green card will be produced. Kinda irritating to spend that much money for absolutely no tangible outcome, no? :rolleyes:. If I get my GC promptly after the interview, I'll probably only have it for a month or two plus N-400 processing time before it too is useless. It's all about feeding the bureaucracy machine, I suppose :P

This is something I heard as well. In fact, it's completely ridiculous considering you pay for BOTH processes separately. If they have the right to stop processing one application pending another, in order to save resources, money or whatever, it seems that the customer (isn't that what we are supposed to be nowadays? ) should also have the right to get a refund for the I-751 due to the fact that the processing has been consolidated with the N-400, and many times the USCIS hasn't even lifted a finger when it comes to processing the I-751 until that point.

On another note, I did hear of people who got their 10 year greencard shortly before their citizenship interview, and others that got it right before the oath ceremony. So I guess there are no rules as usual.

But I paid for my 10 year green card, darnit. Considering they are already 3.5 months late with the I-71, it seems ridiculous that giving them another $680 would actually result in even more delays. Who knows.

Edited by Exasperated

jeremy: thanks for the update. i had been thinking about you. sounds like you've prepared really well and are in GREAT shape.

your attitude is refreshing in light of the recent rash of frustrations documented in the various monthly threads. good for you for adhering to the ethos of 'keep calm and carry on'.

ill keep my fingers crossed for you! though i think you wont need it!

love,

the self-elected captain of team UK

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

lots of luck to jeremy for the interview!

glad its finally (almost) here!

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

lots of luck to jeremy for the interview!

glad its finally (almost) here!

Seconded. Not that he probably needs much luck as it's more than likely going to be very straightforward. But I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway. :)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I paid for my 10 year green card, darnit. Considering they are already 3.5 months late with the I-71, it seems ridiculous that giving them another $680 would actually result in even more delays. Who knows.

:thumbs:

Still no news from your sentator? :unsure:

JeremyR: Good luck for tomorrow!

:thumbs:

Still no news from your sentator? :unsure:

Actually yes, my case was miraculously found again and approved, all within the span of a week. Sorry I haven't posted any updates about it yet. No interview, no RFE, no real reason for the delay. Still haven't received the new green card and it's possible I'll need to go and get an extension stamp to tide myself over until it gets here.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Actually yes, my case was miraculously found again and approved, all within the span of a week. Sorry I haven't posted any updates about it yet. No interview, no RFE, no real reason for the delay. Still haven't received the new green card and it's possible I'll need to go and get an extension stamp to tide myself over until it gets here.

That's great news! Congratulations! :dance:

Good luck with naturalization! :)

Thanks everybody - it means a lot, seriously :)

We're about ready. Here's a list of what we've gathered.

• Affidavits - 5 of them from 6 different people, all notarized (one is a joint one from my in-laws, two from people who were our neighbours until very recently, two from my wife's work colleagues including a deputy sheriff).
  • Couldn't get a letter from the bank in time (wanted two working weeks !!! and over thanksgiving it wasn't going to be done in time) but we do have a copy of our account's signature card showing when it was opened, when it was modified to a joint account and has both of our signatures on it. Also some statements and statement copies from over the last few years, checking and savings.
  • Photos. Trawled friends' and relatives' Facebook pages (and their camera memory cards in some cases!) and managed to pull together far, far more than we originally sent. At first we sent about 15 of which about 10 had us both in the frame at the same time. Now we've got 51 for the officer to look though (careful what you wish for, USCIS :P). The vast majority having both of us, most have the kids too and, the rest of them are each of us with each other's families.
  • Letter from my wife's employer stating her name, position, salary, length of employment and permanency. Also printouts from the personnel department's computer systems showing that I'm her beneficiary, that I'm on her health insurance (and that it's current and active at this point in time), etc.
  • I'm not on the mortgage because it's not a good idea for us to mess with it (we'd be worse off afterwards). I am listed on the house insurance though and we have a copy of that policy document.
  • Various miscellany. Health and car insurance cards with both our names, driver's licenses with the same name and address, her other IDs, passport, county gov. employee ID, etc, also showing her using my name. Letters, postcards to both of us, an anniversary card my grandparents sent this summer, shipping notices, some bills (although they're all in her name except the satellite TV which is in both but is, ironically, paperless d'oh!).

They're getting a big folder of stuff to wade through. Serves them right :P :P :P

Note to self: get passport photos done :roll:

Oh, and they're forecasting snow tomorrow. GREAT! :huh: It's a morning appointment and the only real route there is via Atlanta's biggest rush hour trouble spot (it's off 285 a few miles south of spaghetti junction near Tucker)

Senators' and Representatives' immigration liaisons are superheros, aren't they? :D My AOS had problems with USCIS stubbornness (didn't want to accept that we squeaked over the 125% affidavit of support requirement by a few bucks and RFE'd me for a co-sponsor or proof of further income. Sent them back a copy of their own guidelines with helpful highlighting of the relevant requirements and a second copy of all the proofs that my wife *does* make enough to sponsor me. Also asked a US Rep. office to give them a push in the right direction. Approved without notice, RFE or interview a fortnight later :D Although I do wonder if I might have [cough]ed the adjudicator off and whether they wrote "Interview this one at I-751" on the file </cynic> :lol:

Edited by JeremyR

07/18/08 - Married

Removal of Conditions

We're about ready. Here's a list of what we've gathered.

Not sure if I just missed it in that very extensive list, but I'd make sure to bring official tax transcripts (you can have them faxed over in 15 minutes - we did that last minute when we put our I-751 together to send). I wouldn't trust the USCIS to still have them even if you sent them in with the actual application. I sometimes wonder what the USCIS does with all the extra photos and documents that they never give back, but also never seem to use for anything and often seem totally unaware about receiving.

That's great news! Congratulations! :dance:

Good luck with naturalization! :)

Thanks rocks (and Drogs). Hopefully every single person on the long overdue February list will finally escape this state of perpetual limbo (and hopefully never have to deal with Vermont ever again - I can't even bring myself to buy Vermont maple syrup anymore).

I can't even bring myself to buy Vermont maple syrup anymore).

bah! all the more for me! (VT maple syrup is best. has the highest quality standards!)

told you you would be approved within the month! yay for you!

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Not sure if I just missed it in that very extensive list, but I'd make sure to bring official tax transcripts (you can have them faxed over in 15 minutes - we did that last minute when we put our I-751 together to send). I wouldn't trust the USCIS to still have them even if you sent them in with the actual application. I sometimes wonder what the USCIS does with all the extra photos and documents that they never give back, but also never seem to use for anything and often seem totally unaware about receiving.

Oh, yes, they're in there somewhere too. Last three years or is that four. One with just my wife and married-filing-jointly thereafter. I've had them on-hand since just after I sent the I-751 in case of RFE (for sending returns initially which doesn't seem to cause most people any problems but a few seem to be RFE'd for).

But yeah, they're in the folder (and specifically mentioned on their list of things to bring, which is essentially a CC of the initial I-751 evidence list)

Edited by JeremyR

07/18/08 - Married

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.