northnodeleo

Answers to the civics questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

My interview is on Feb 15 and I have learned and memorized all the 100 civics questions and answers. As I do not want them to fail me for an answer and I do not seem to find any really clear answer online (or in the USCIS booklet I got at my fingerprint appointment) I thought I would try and see what this community has to say. For those questions where there are several alternatives and they do not say to give "one" or "two" options do they want people to give all alternatives to a question or still just one answer? For example the question "What does the Constitution do?" There are three different answers but they do not say to answer one or two of them. Should I still just give one answer or give them all three?

Just want to cover all my basis here and do the best I can during the interview. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My interview is on Feb 15 and I have learned and memorized all the 100 civics questions and answers. As I do not want them to fail me for an answer and I do not seem to find any really clear answer online (or in the USCIS booklet I got at my fingerprint appointment) I thought I would try and see what this community has to say. For those questions where there are several alternatives and they do not say to give "one" or "two" options do they want people to give all alternatives to a question or still just one answer? For example the question "What does the Constitution do?" There are three different answers but they do not say to answer one or two of them. Should I still just give one answer or give them all three?

Just want to cover all my basis here and do the best I can during the interview. :)

What does the Constitution do? ▪ sets up the government ▪ defines the government ▪ protects basic rights of Americans

Would answer that sets and defines the government and protects the basic rights of Americans.

What is an amendment? ▪ a change (to the Constitution) ▪ an addition (to the Constitution)

How about "a change or an addition to the Constitution"

Find this question troubling, all three answers are essentially the same!

What did the Declaration of Independence do? ▪ announced our independence (from Great Britain) ▪ declared our independence (from Great Britain) ▪ said that the United States is free (from Great Britain)

Just wonder if the guy that wrote the N-400 application also wrote this test. Am hearing that kids graduating from college today, can't even read or give the correct change for a dollar. This is proof of that, good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh for that last question would go with:

The Declaration of Independence declares independence! Kind of like asking, who is buried in Grants' tomb? But from whom? Could be the United Kingdom, Great Britain, Britain, or England, or more accurately, just from King George. Was insane and an idiot like most dictators are. But the poor slob British soldiers had to die for that cause, he got off scot free.

Filed: Other Timeline

The test must have been created by a non-native English speaker who was also not the smartest kid in his class. And that's the nicest way I can put it.

According to the I.O. who conducted my interview and with whom I casually talked about the test, it was made in a way that "it's impossible to fail." Back in the day, you were asked a question, and you had to know the answer. Nowadays they ask you a question such as "name one Indian tribe" (there are about 25 of those), or "name one state to borders to Canada" (choice of 13) which are just ridiculous. Then there are questions like "what ocean is to the east of the United States," a question that my 10 year-old Chihuahua can answer.

Any European with a basic school education can answer about 75% of the questions without studying, simply by having enjoyed a European education. Some questions, such as "how many representatives are in the House" need to be memorized. One of such questions is the one concerning Benjamin Franklin, who's famous for much more important things than selected in the answers.

And then there are the questions I refer to as retard questions, where the required answers are total nonsense, such as "what did the Declaration of Independence do?" As my wife (who read those cards for the first time on the way back from the interview) said: " . . . uhhh . . . it declared our independence, of course!"

Since the applicants gets up to 10 questions of which only 6 have to be answered correctly, it is indeed almost impossible not to pass.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This might be a little off-topic, or maybe not.

Just out of curiosity.... for people who already did the interview....

If you get an answer wrong, did they tell you the correct answer right away? Or did they just say you got that answer wrong? Or did they wait until the end of the interview/test to tell you how many you got right/wrong.

Again, this is just out of curiosity...

02/2001 - Met in Europe

08/2004 - Moved to USA

08/2007 - Married in Brazil

09/2007 - Submitted AOS to VSC

12/2007 - AOS approved

09/2009 - Submitted I-751 to CSC

10/2009 - ROC approved (1 month 2 days from receipt date)

12/2010 - Submitted N400

01/2011 - Biometrics (twice)

02/2011 - Citizenship Interview and Civics Test

04/2011 - Oath Ceremony/American Citizen

This might be a little off-topic, or maybe not.

Just out of curiosity.... for people who already did the interview....

If you get an answer wrong, did they tell you the correct answer right away? Or did they just say you got that answer wrong? Or did they wait until the end of the interview/test to tell you how many you got right/wrong.

Again, this is just out of curiosity...

Well ..i guess you could ask for a 50/50 or phone a friend :rofl:

Nah.. only playing with ya...for what ive read that the I.O can ask upto 10 civic Qs and you must be correct on 6/10 the very least.

If you don't get at least 6 correct, then they send you home to do your homework, & you can re-sit the test.... think i read that you have 2 chances to pass..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.