4ever mine

Customs or Racket ?????????

12 members have voted

1. 1. Has this happened to other VJ members

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok First of all, I am ranting about our recent Moroccan customs experience. On January 20th, I sent a 6 pound package of ONLY documents to my husband in Morocco. I paid $227 USD for Global Express Guaranteed service through USPS. The air bill clearly states the value of customs is ZERO dollars value. The USPS partner with FEDEX to guarantee delivery. My package was guaranteed to be delivered to my husband's home on Jan 27th. It went through US customs and France Customs with no problem. It arrives in Morocco on Jan 24th. It sits in Customs while the customs papaers are forwarded to my husband via an independent vendor. My husband goes the vendor's location for pick up. To his surprise, the vendor presents the papers in shabby condition with no explanation except that your American wife sent you a joke because nothing was in the packet but sand. Using sand as his anolgy for nothing, completely puts my husband in shock. My husband lives 8-10 hours away from Casablanca where the actual package is held in customs. He had just return from Casablanca to get this package, no sleep and has a high fever from a reaction from shots that he got for the embassy required medical exam. After many emails and calls with FEDEX and USPS, I find out that the Moroccain Customs officer assessed this package the value of the exact postage paid amount I rendered at my local post office. So my husband's clearance options are either to pay 600 Durhims to include 150 MAD customs fee, and about 550 MAD delivery free from a non FEDEX vendor, or travel back to Casablanca for self clearance option where he still must pay 150 MAD. Now, his fever is not showing any relief and he can barely move. Even with my many verbal and written complaints to FEDEX, he now is traveling over night 8-19 hours to pick this package up where he may assessed additional fees subjected to Moroccain customs officer. If he does not pick this up tomorrow it will be returned to sender(me) I cannot beileve this is happening. The package invoice clearly stated zero customs value, but he is subjected to these duties and taxes fees.

Question:

Is this routine custom processes or a racket since I had to detail the contents and detail why these are being sent?

Any input would be great.

As being military, and ALWAYS sending stuff and having stuff sent to me overseas, one rule of thumb......value of contents/customs declaration will NEVER be $0. Even if it is the price of the paper and postage. If it is only paper, always use $10 and/or use the cost of replacing the documents, as if it is lost, that is what you will have to do. Just talking from experience.

And good luck. feel for your husband to be.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

As being military, and ALWAYS sending stuff and having stuff sent to me overseas, one rule of thumb......value of contents/customs declaration will NEVER be $0. Even if it is the price of the paper and postage. If it is only paper, always use $10 and/or use the cost of replacing the documents, as if it is lost, that is what you will have to do. Just talking from experience.

And good luck. feel for your husband to be.

I realized that after all was said and done, but I sure wish that someone explained that to me at the USPS. My husband is better and got the package in good condition. Thank God, but he had to pay 150 durhims.

Good luck with yours, as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline

My #1 rule when it comes to shipping international is to never use USPS because they will only carry it to the border then hand it off to FedEX. Involving two carriers just increases the chance of an issue so always stick with FedEX, UPS, or DHL. If you're shipping to a developing nation I recommend DHL simply because I've seen better service with them in those areas.

Timeline

My #1 rule when it comes to shipping international is to never use USPS because they will only carry it to the border then hand it off to FedEX. Involving two carriers just increases the chance of an issue so always stick with FedEX, UPS, or DHL. If you're shipping to a developing nation I recommend DHL simply because I've seen better service with them in those areas.

I was going to use DHl but they wanted 400 USD to ship, so I chose a cheaper route but a harder path I found out. So you get what you pay for is the reality of international shipping.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline

Shipping international just sucks in general because of how expensive it is. When I sent over the first copy of our K1 packet I sent it to my Uncle in Saudia Arabia who was going to Sudan which cost me $110 with UPS. I later found out DHL ships to Sudan, minimum cost is $130 and it goes up $20 for every half pound!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I posted this somewhere else, but...I send packages all the time via USPS Priority Mail (NOT Global Guaranteed as was your case) and the only time a customs fee is taken is when I've sent something electronic like a cell phone or camera. They open and inspect all packages so it doesnt matter if you declare them or not on the customs form.

Timeline

Shipping international just sucks in general because of how expensive it is. When I sent over the first copy of our K1 packet I sent it to my Uncle in Saudia Arabia who was going to Sudan which cost me $110 with UPS. I later found out DHL ships to Sudan, minimum cost is $130 and it goes up $20 for every half pound!

OMG that is just insane that the cost is high and there are hidden fees associated with international shipments. I think that they assessed the package higher is because they knew that these were vital documents for his interview at the US embassy in Morocco. He is exhausted as I am too of all this crazy processes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.