iya

Name change, question

6 posts in this topic

So, I will be taking my oath on the Friday after next. I will be changing my name too. The problem (?) lies herein:

I have two first names, a middle (mother's maiden) and last. Let's say it's Mary Ann Lim Cruz.

When I got married, I took on my husband's last name, but followed the Philippine name change convention, and went to this:

Mary Ann Cruz Smith

That is what SSA has on record. This is what my 2 year green card had as well.

When I got my 10 year green card, the IO said I had to follow the US name changing convention, and wrote over my form and entered my name as:

Mary Ann Lim Smith

I said it was no problem, was approved. However, when I got the 10 year green card, it still had this name:

Mary Ann Cruz Smith

:blink:

So.. I continued to use this name, because that's what my green card said, and what was in my SSA record.

On to naturalization. I got the same IO during my test. He said, "Good thing you're changing your name, because there's a problem with it." :wacko: He crossed out Cruz, put in Lim as my middle name. My new name will be Mary Cruz Smith, changing from Mary Ann Lim Smith.

I was approved, name change will happen, and oath taking will be on the 4th.

So. My certificate for name change will show from Mary Ann Lim Smith to Mary Cruz Smith.

However, all my papers (mortgage, insurance, SSA, IRS, BMV, etc) show my name was Mary Ann Cruz Smith..

Is this going to be a problem? I'm mostly concerned about the SSA... will changing my name from what they have to what my new name will be, when my cert's old name (Mary Ann Lim Smith) doesn't match their records (Mary Ann Cruz Smith), be a problem? :unsure:

Add to that our tax filing :help: What name do I file with? I'm going nuts...

Edited by iya

I-129F sent .........................8/08/2006

Interview............................3/23/2007

VISA RECEIVED .......................3/29/2007

Sent AOS package to CHI..............7/12/2007

Biometrics in CLE, OH................8/14/2007

Interview in CLE, OH................10/16/2007

GREEN CARD RECEIVED.................11/15/2007

Sent ROC to CSC......................8/10/2009

NOA1.................................8/12/2009

Biometrics...........................9/18/2009

Card Production Ordered ............10/01/2009

Sent N400 to AZ lockbox ............11/08/2010

Application received................11/12/2010

Check cashed........................11/15/2010

Biometrics (CLE)....................12/03/2010

Interview (CLE).....................01/14/2010

Oath Taking (CLE)...................02/04/2010

Filed: Other Timeline

Like you, I changed my name when becoming a US citizen. At the ceremony, a court document will be attached to your Certificate of Naturalization. It looks like this:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/291790-name-change-at-the-n-400-stage/

Your certificate and the name change document will be used to get you a US passport. From then on, you use your new passport to change what you want to have changed, such as SS card, driver license, bank card, etc. Some documents you don't have to change, but you can, if you like. Just call and tell 'em you changed your name and ask them what they need to change their documents.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You will be abe to change everything (SSA, DMV, Bank, insurance etc..) with the new name on the certificate. You will be able to fax it to show the name change. I would invest in a fax machine, if you dont have one. :yes:

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Will the fact that the old name on the name change certificate is not the same as the old name in SSA's record not matter, though? I will not be given trouble for that?

Or will they only need to see the actual naturalization certificate?

I-129F sent .........................8/08/2006

Interview............................3/23/2007

VISA RECEIVED .......................3/29/2007

Sent AOS package to CHI..............7/12/2007

Biometrics in CLE, OH................8/14/2007

Interview in CLE, OH................10/16/2007

GREEN CARD RECEIVED.................11/15/2007

Sent ROC to CSC......................8/10/2009

NOA1.................................8/12/2009

Biometrics...........................9/18/2009

Card Production Ordered ............10/01/2009

Sent N400 to AZ lockbox ............11/08/2010

Application received................11/12/2010

Check cashed........................11/15/2010

Biometrics (CLE)....................12/03/2010

Interview (CLE).....................01/14/2010

Oath Taking (CLE)...................02/04/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The naturalization certificate will only have your new name. Take the naturalization certificate to SSA and they will update and send you a new card with your new name to match the naturalization certificate.

Take the naturalization certificate to DMV and they will give you a new drivers license or State ID with your name to match the naturalization certificate.

Then go apply for a passport since you have to submit the naturalization certificate but it will be mailed back to you.

Once you get the naturalization certificate back, start calling your bank, insurance company, mortgage company etc. and ask them to update their records with the name on your naturalization certificate. Most companies will ask you to fax them a copy of the naturalization certificate or drivers license.

ROC:
07/2010....Attorney mailed I-751 divorce waiver
07/21/10...USCIS recvd I-751
07/21/10...NOA1
08/20/10...Bio completed
09/16/10...Recvd RFE, due 10/31
10/26/10...Mailed RFE
10/27/10...RFE delivered to VSC
04/26/11...Interview
05/11/11...APPROVED!!
05/18/11...Card production ordered
05/23/11...Received green card

N400:
04/29/13.. Eligible to file N400
04/26/13...Mailed N400..Dallas, TX
04/28/13...USPS delivered package (Priority mail)
04/29/13...NOA Priority date
05/02/13...Check cashed
05/10/13...Rcvd bio notice
05/30/13...Bio Appt
05/17/13...Walk in bio successful
06/28/13...Placed in line for interview scheduling
08/06/13...Recvd email interview has been scheduled
08/10/13...Recvd Interview letter
09/12/13...N400 Interview
09/12/13...Decision cannot be made
10/21/14...Biometrics (second time)
01/05/15...In line for oath scheduling

01/21/15...Oath Ceremony

01/21/15...Applied Passport

02/05/15..Received Passport

Journey Over!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

So you went from Mary Ann Lim Cruz to Mary Ann Lim Smith to Mary Cruz Smith.

My wife that was divorced change her than previous married name plus her fathers name back to her father name and mothers maiden name. Two last names.

But when she married me, took my last name and essentially that replaced her mothers maiden name. With a married name in her country that look primarily at the first last name, but different here, hardly pay attention to any middle names, but look at her last name. Her name would be like your Lim-Smith. My last name starts with a D but in our phone book, they stuck her name in the L section. Confusing? So she essentially dropped her first last name during naturalization, but her important last name remained the same. Wasn't a big deal for us

But in your case, you essentially dropped your given middle name and changed your first last name, typical here to just use a middle initial, but your first given name and last name are still the same.

I, a natural born citizen was given two middle names, but dropped the second one and only use the middle initial of my first middle name, never made a difference for me.

I don't see where you have a problem, but wondered why you still stuck with two first last names, then decided to change that first last name to another first last name. Would have dropped both of those and kept Ann or just Mary Ann Smith, a good old fashion American name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.