Mrs. P

Moving furniture and car across the border??

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Since there is so much knowledgeable people on here with so much experience in various cases in regards to immigrating, I thought I would place my question here.

When I move from Canada to the U.S, I plan on driving a Uhaul truck with furniture and towing my vehicle behind. Does anyone know how this works? Is there paperwork that I would have to fill out ahead of time? I know that I would have to change my Canadian car tags eventually, but will they even allow me to cross with it being towed?

Thanks in advance.

Chantéa's USCIS Journey:

2010 Jul 17 -- Filed I-130

2010 Aug 4 -- NOA 1

2010 Aug 9 -- NOA 1 Hardcopy

2010 Nov 2 -- Transferred from CSC to TSC

2010 Nov 24--Touched

2011 Feb 9 -- Touched

2011 Feb 10--Transferred BACK to CSC *rolls eyes*

2011 Feb 11-- Touched AGAIN (uscis office)

2011 Feb 25--email notification of APPROVAL!!!! (Thank ya Jesus)

2011 Mar 3--NOA2 Hardcopy

Your I-130 was approved in 205 days from your NOA1 date.

Chantéa's NVC Journey:

2011 Mar 8--received case # dated Mar 7, sent OPTIN email for electronic processing with attached DS-3032 form.

2011 Mar 9--received IIN and Beneficiary ID #, AOS bill invoiced/paid, submitted DS-261 (Choice of Agent)

2011 Mar 11--AOS bill shows as PAID and IV bill invoiced

2011 Mar 14--paid IV bill

2011 Mar 16-- IV bill shows as PAID

2011 Apr 11--submitted AOS and IV package and resent OPTIN email

2011 Apr 12--received OPTIN acceptance email

2011 Apr 13--received email notifying that my AOS and IV package was received

2011 May 4--received RFE email

2011 May 5--resent both packages

2011 May 14--received RFE email

2011 May 30--sent in missing document

2011 June 6--received CC email (Case Complete) and SIF (Sign in Failed)

2011 June 14-- interview date assigned for July 20!!

2011 Jul 11--Medical at Dr. Seiden & Associates

2011 Jul 20-- The big day

When I moved to the US, I just took a uhaul truck with me. they didn't even inspect it. I packed it pretty good. with isles in between boxes just in case they wanted to inspect it.

When you take your car over, just be sure to have your ownership docs. you wont have any problems provided you own the vehicle and there is no lien on the car from a Canadian financial institution. Leases are even harder. As most leases prohibit you from taking your car to another country.

Within 90 days for your entry, you will need to import the vehicle formally into the United States.

this does not need to be done at the border and can be done informally at any US Customs and Border Protection Field office.

You will need EPA documents, a State Level 2 or Level 3 inspection and you will need to fill out the USCBP forms for importing a vehicle into the united states.

once that is done, you can register your car in the United States.

Edited by desertblue88

"It is Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" - Some smart dude

-------------------------------------------------

K Visa Timeline

-------------------------------------------------

Visa Journey

3/20/2008: I-129F Sent

8/6/2008: Approval Notice

10/14/2008: VISA Approved!

10/24/2008: POE

--- AOS ---

4/14/2009 - Interview with USCIS... APPROVED! Day 92 since receipt of USCIS AOS

-- I-751 Waiver Application ---

1/18/2011 - I-751 Waiver Application mailing to cSC

3/23/2011 - I-751 Divorce Waiver Approved - 10 Year Card in the mail!

Filed: Timeline
Within 90 days for your entry, you will need to import the vehicle formally into the United States.

this does not need to be done at the border and can be done informally at any US Customs and Border Protection Field office.

You will need EPA documents, a State Level 2 or Level 3 inspection and you will need to fill out the USCBP forms for importing a vehicle into the united states.

Yikes! Not even close to how most of us did it! Not to mention that you have 10 years to import your belongings... not 90 days.

Cad_Bacon, click on the link in my signature. It will take you to a pinned topic in the Canada forum which will help you with your questions.

Moving thread from the IR-1/CR-1 forum to the Canada Regional forum as that is where the expertise is.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I took a small UHAUL and my car on a rented UHAUL trailer towing it.

The CBP looked in my car at my VIN number to make sure it matched my paperwork and my compliance letter and that was it. They filled out all the paper work had me sign it and told me to give that copy they gave me to the people at the registration office.

They never looked in my truck but I made a list and numbered the boxes with numbers as well as " books ", " Games " etc. But on my list I made it a little more detailed as to what was in the box. They didn't even look in the truck or look at my list. Heck they never even asked me to see my papers for my dog!

Payed 6$ USD for my little paper I-94 and that was it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Oh thank you so much guys for your responses. I still have a little time before I start to make actual moving arrangements, but I want to start gathering up info so I can prepare myself ahead of time.

Chantéa's USCIS Journey:

2010 Jul 17 -- Filed I-130

2010 Aug 4 -- NOA 1

2010 Aug 9 -- NOA 1 Hardcopy

2010 Nov 2 -- Transferred from CSC to TSC

2010 Nov 24--Touched

2011 Feb 9 -- Touched

2011 Feb 10--Transferred BACK to CSC *rolls eyes*

2011 Feb 11-- Touched AGAIN (uscis office)

2011 Feb 25--email notification of APPROVAL!!!! (Thank ya Jesus)

2011 Mar 3--NOA2 Hardcopy

Your I-130 was approved in 205 days from your NOA1 date.

Chantéa's NVC Journey:

2011 Mar 8--received case # dated Mar 7, sent OPTIN email for electronic processing with attached DS-3032 form.

2011 Mar 9--received IIN and Beneficiary ID #, AOS bill invoiced/paid, submitted DS-261 (Choice of Agent)

2011 Mar 11--AOS bill shows as PAID and IV bill invoiced

2011 Mar 14--paid IV bill

2011 Mar 16-- IV bill shows as PAID

2011 Apr 11--submitted AOS and IV package and resent OPTIN email

2011 Apr 12--received OPTIN acceptance email

2011 Apr 13--received email notifying that my AOS and IV package was received

2011 May 4--received RFE email

2011 May 5--resent both packages

2011 May 14--received RFE email

2011 May 30--sent in missing document

2011 June 6--received CC email (Case Complete) and SIF (Sign in Failed)

2011 June 14-- interview date assigned for July 20!!

2011 Jul 11--Medical at Dr. Seiden & Associates

2011 Jul 20-- The big day

Timeline

Uhaul was the way for us too - My USC husband flew up so he could drive my daughter and me back home to VA in the truck. That damn jump seat in the middle was where I sat for 9 hours...my behind hurt :P

We did not have another vehicle, but as Inky said we had a detailed list and the buggers didn;t even want to look in the truck. Better to be over prepared and not need it.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

When I moved to the US, I just took a uhaul truck with me. they didn't even inspect it. I packed it pretty good. with isles in between boxes just in case they wanted to inspect it.

When you take your car over, just be sure to have your ownership docs. you wont have any problems provided you own the vehicle and there is no lien on the car from a Canadian financial institution. Leases are even harder. As most leases prohibit you from taking your car to another country.

Can I actually import a car at any field office? When we did POE for my husband he "lost" his EPA letter and couldn't import his car. I figured we'd have to back to Highgate Springs to import his car this weekend.

Our Story

03-05-2008: Met Online (World of Warcraft)

04-19-2008: Met in Person and Started Dating

04-19-2009: Engaged

08-07-2009: Married at Laconia, New Hampshire

USCIS

10-21-2009: Mailed I-130

10-26-2009: NOA1

05-17-2010: NOA2

Our I-130 was approved in 203 days from our NOA1 date

NVC

05-25-2010: Called NVC to receive case # and submit emails

06-01-2010: AOS Fee Paid

06-09-2010: Opt-in accepted

06-16-2010: E-mailed I-864 package

06-23-2010: IV Fee Paid

07-12-2010: E-mailed DS230 package

08-04-2010: Email from NVC - Case Completed

NVC process completed in 71 days

CONSULATE

12-07-2011: Received consulate interview date

12-13-2010: Medical Exam (Medisys)

01-07-2011: Interview - APPROVED!

POE & POST INTERVIEW

01-16-2011: POE Highgate Springs, VT

01-22-2011: SSN Card Received

01-24-2011: Receipt Letter Arrived

02-10-2011: Biometrics Appointment (uncommon for CR-1)

03-15-2011: Welcome Notice Received

03-19-2011: 2 Year Green Card Arrived

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Can I actually import a car at any field office? When we did POE for my husband he "lost" his EPA letter and couldn't import his car. I figured we'd have to back to Highgate Springs to import his car this weekend.

You can go to any CBP office. There will be one in the airport if it is an international airport. If not do a search for an office here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I know it is better to wait to import after the K-1 is approved.....does anyone know what the percentage you are charged for duty on bringing a car here to the US and registering it here before the visa is approved will be? DO they figure that based on the blue book value of the vehicle?

My fiance has her auto insurance running out in Canada and we are trying to figure out the most economical option for us (auto insurance is too expensive in Canada!)

Anyone with experience or knowledge on this, feel free to let me know, thanks!

Timeline

So I know it is better to wait to import after the K-1 is approved.....does anyone know what the percentage you are charged for duty on bringing a car here to the US and registering it here before the visa is approved will be? DO they figure that based on the blue book value of the vehicle?

My fiance has her auto insurance running out in Canada and we are trying to figure out the most economical option for us (auto insurance is too expensive in Canada!)

We went through this in another thread recently - your fiance cannot import her car until she has a VISA in hand. Now she could 'sell' it to you and then it would be your car to import. Are you proposing that you would buy insurance down in the US and then she'd take the vehicle back home for a few months while she waits on the VISA? Your insurance likely won't cover her as a primary driver in a another country and she can't drive around in Canada with a car that you supposed own that has US plates on it for long.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Dutiable Entry

Foreign-made vehicles imported into the U.S., whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally dutiable at the following rates:

Auto 2.5%

Trucks 25%

Motorcycles either free or 2.4%

Duty rates are based on price paid or payable. Most Canadian-made vehicles are duty-free.

As a returning U.S. resident, you may apply your $400 Customs exemption and those of accompanying family members toward the value of the vehicle if it:

Accompanies you on your return;

Is imported for personal use;

Was acquired during the journey from which you are returning.

For Customs purposes, a returning U.S. resident is one who is returning from travel, work, or study abroad.

After the exemption has been applied, a flat duty rate of 10% is applied toward the next $1,000 of the vehicle’s value. The remaining amount is dutiable at the regular duty rate.

Free Entry

Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner’s arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.

Federal Tax

Certain imported automobiles may be subject to the gas-guzzler tax imposed by section 4064 of the Internal Revenue Code. An individual who imports an automobile for personal use, or a commercial importer, may be considered an importer for purposes of this tax and thus liable for payment of the tax.

The amount of the tax is based on a combined urban/highway fuel-economy (miles per gallon) rating assigned by the EPA for gas-guzzler tax purpose. This EPA rating may be different from fuel-economy ratings indicated by the manufacturer.

If the EPA has not assigned a gas-guzzler fuel- economy rating for the model automobile you import, a rating must be independently determined. No tax is imposed on automobiles that have a combined fuel-economy rating of at least 22.5 miles per gallon.

Information on determining fuel-economy rating and liability for the tax are contained in section 4064 of the Code, Revenue Procedure 86-9, 1986-1 Cumulative Bulletin 530, Revenue Procedure 87-10, 1987-1 Cumulative Bulletin 530, Revenue Procedure 87-10, 1987-1 Cumulative Bulletin 545, and Revenue Ruling 86-20, 1986-1 Cumulative Bulletin 319.

The gas-guzzler tax is reported on Form 720, Quarterly federal Excise Tax Return, and form 6197, Gas-Guzzler Tax. Additional information may be obtained from your local district office of the Internal Revenue Service.

If you import the car your SO will have nothing to drive in Canada. Hopefully she does not need a car to get around if you are going to do this.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

You can actually import a car with a lien on it, provided you show proof the financial institution is permitting you to export the car. I asked at my bank and they said they don't care if I export my car, as long as I still make payments on it.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

If you have a car like a Saturn where you can't get a compliance letter from the main company, you have to contact a vintage vehicle place for it.

Just call any dealership and they can give you the number to call to get it.

It cost me 200$

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

• 2 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We have two cars to import and both are fully paid with AB number plates. One is made is Japan and another made in USA.

Someone mentioned we need EPA documents, proof of ownership, a State Level 2 or Level 3 inspection and USCBP forms for import.

I think USCBP form can be filled at border and State Level inspection can be done after import.

1. Just wondering, where can I get EPA document and proof of ownership?

2. I do not see any document called "Title of ownership" in AB. Can car lien search work?

3. Do I need to pay tax on made in Japan car? That is 5 yrs older car.

4. We are thinking to do round trip landing trip. Can we go in one car and process import paper work for both the car? Do we need to drive both the car at border?

Timeline

We have two cars to import and both are fully paid with AB number plates. One is made is Japan and another made in USA.

Someone mentioned we need EPA documents, proof of ownership, a State Level 2 or Level 3 inspection and USCBP forms for import.

I think USCBP form can be filled at border and State Level inspection can be done after import.

1. Just wondering, where can I get EPA document and proof of ownership?

2. I do not see any document called "Title of ownership" in AB. Can car lien search work?

3. Do I need to pay tax on made in Japan car? That is 5 yrs older car.

4. We are thinking to do round trip landing trip. Can we go in one car and process import paper work for both the car? Do we need to drive both the car at border?

Canada does not have Titles, the title is the paper that says THIS IS YOUR CAR. That would be your little proof of ownership paper you get when you buy the car.

You need to get a compliance letter for the cars to be imported with. EPA tests are done at EPA locations. EPA is an emissions test for your car to prove its safe.

It kind of sounds like you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Contact the company and get the compliance letters for the cars, as long as the cars meet the compliance and they are not on recall or have issues that have to be fixed, you are good to import them. Both cars need to be at the border because they check the cars VIN numbers and make sure they match the compliance letters and the rest of the paperwork such as your ownership papers. CBP fills out the customs import papers and you sign them. These papers are needed to register the cars in the state for plates you also need the import papers if you ever intend to sell the car.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.