11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wife wants to change last name to mine..still filling out paperwork for AOS and all her documentation is still in her madien name..(passport, Visa, etc. )

I want to wait until after all this is either approved or not.

What do I do if and when it is approved to get her last name changed to mine ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wife wants to change last name to mine..still filling out paperwork for AOS and all her documentation is still in her madien name..(passport, Visa, etc. )

Definitely don't wait until after she receives her GC. If she wants to change her last name, she can easily do so now, so be sure to list the last name you want to appear on her GC in your AOS forms. I doubt you want to attempt to change her name on her GC after she has already received it.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You need to fill in everything AOS papers all in her married name(yours) Her new name is yours now and all you have to do is make sure all documents are signed with her new married name. Don't wait till she gets her GC.

Her SSN your joint accounts. Of course the visa is on her maiden name same as mine is but when filling out AOS you put her married name which is what you want to appear on her GC. Her passport can be changed now too.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

Definitely don't wait until after she receives her GC. If she wants to change her last name, she can easily do so now, so be sure to list the last name you want to appear on her GC in your AOS forms. I doubt you want to attempt to change her name on her GC after she has already received it.

Is it easy to do/ how can I go about it ..we are both here in the US now, not in Thailand?

Just fill out the AOS application in her married name. (That is what the other posters said too). The marriage cert. you send in will work as a valid name change document. The GC will come in her married name. If you don't do it this way, you will have to pay a few hundred to get a replacement card with a name change.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Just fill out the AOS application in her married name. (That is what the other posters said too). The marriage cert. you send in will work as a valid name change document. The GC will come in her married name. If you don't do it this way, you will have to pay a few hundred to get a replacement card with a name change.

Got it.

Trying to get it through my concrete brain here..

Marriage cert will work..

Change to my last name on AOS forms..Check.

Not to worry over her passport/Visa in her madien name. Check.

We never changed over from her Thai last name because we were living in rural Thailand where if the wife has a farang name, it makes life more difficult with land ownership, business dealings etc... with the Thai xenophobia thangy.

Thx

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Make sure you change her new name for SSAN as well. Every thing she does from now on should be in her married name.

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Timeline

We were able to have her name changed on her Social Security card by showing them her work authorization card, which she received about a month after sending in AOS. With the new SS card, we were able to use her married name on driver's license, bank account, apartment lease, etc.

Timeline

Update: We went to each bank and had her last name changed to mine. Went to AZ DMV and got her an AZ ID card in my name as well with the MVD guy telling me.."Boy, that's sure easier to pronounce"...She's now practicing on how to sign her name with mine :lol:

Going good so far.. Thanks for all the help!

Timeline

Update: We went to each bank and had her last name changed to mine. Went to AZ DMV and got her an AZ ID card in my name as well with the MVD guy telling me.."Boy, that's sure easier to pronounce"...She's now practicing on how to sign her name with mine :lol:

Going good so far.. Thanks for all the help!

Good to hear. BTW, you don't have to change your signature, just because you change your name. In fact, your signature doesn't have to relate to your name at all.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

Good to hear. BTW, you don't have to change your signature, just because you change your name. In fact, your signature doesn't have to relate to your name at all.

I know that, but she's "practicing" like she's going to be signing autographs. I think she is enjoying having only 6 letters in her last name instead of 15. :)

I showed her that you can even just make a " X " and be good to go...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.