pete_sf

B2 visa and petitioning mother from Philippines

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

Could you help me understand the I-130 process better? I'm still trying to get over the fact that my MIL was denied a tourist visa the other day and reading through the guides for petitioning a relative.

Anyway, my MIL will reapply for a B2 visa in March and I'm wondering whether filing an I-130 will affect the B2 application negatively? My now USC wife is contemplating on petitioning my MIL, but she also wants my MIL to get here soon hence the B2.

And how long does it take for a USC to petition a parent from the Philippines? Even an estimated timeline would do.

Thanks,

Pete

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Unless your MIL's situation has changed drastically in regards to her ties to the Philippines trying again for a B-Class Visa is useless.

If your wife petitions for her expect a similar timeline as for a spouse, 7 - 9 months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You must see the funny side of this.

Your other post was full of reasons why she could not immigrate and how badly trained etc the IO was not to appreciate this.

Seems the IO knew more about the real situation that you did.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

You must see the funny side of this.

Your other post was full of reasons why she could not immigrate and how badly trained etc the IO was not to appreciate this.

Seems the IO knew more about the real situation that you did.

Yes, in this case she sure did! We're now considering an immigrant visa as a result of the denial. :lol:

MIL is still not interested in immigrating to the US though. In case she gets denied the B2 visa again, we might just go the I-130 route. Just thinking of other options to get her here without us having to travel back to PI (at least not for the next 2 years), we just miss the family terribly.

Timeline

Unless your MIL's situation has changed drastically in regards to her ties to the Philippines trying again for a B-Class Visa is useless.

If your wife petitions for her expect a similar timeline as for a spouse, 7 - 9 months.

Yes, it changed significantly enough to consider re-applying. Otherwise, it will be a moot point like you said. 7-9 months of waiting is better for us than not having her here to meet my family (especially my ailing mother) and to spend time with us so good to know. Thanks for the input.

Follow-up question: Now thinking about it, would her paying for her trip and everything drastic enough ?? The first application, I offered to pay for all her expenses since the B2 application was filed close to her retirement and birthday so it was a perfect gift we thought. What do you all think?

Edited by pete_sf

Timeline
Follow-up question: Now thinking about it, would her paying for her trip and everything drastic enough ?? The first application, I offered to pay for all her expenses since the B2 application was filed close to her retirement and birthday so it was a perfect gift we thought. What do you all think?

The circumstances that would affect her approval are Strong Ties to the Philippines.

Timeline

The circumstances that would affect her approval are Strong Ties to the Philippines.

Have you read my post in the other thread? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/285337-b2-visa-application-just-submitted-chances-of-approval-slim/page__p__4325319#entry4325319

I'd like your opinion on that, you may think she has strong ties based on her "qualifications".

Edited by pete_sf

Timeline
Have you read my post in the other thread? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/285337-b2-visa-application-just-submitted-chances-of-approval-slim/page__p__4325319#entry4325319

I'd like your opinion on that, you may think she has strong ties based on her "qualifications".

I just read it after my last post here, did they say why she was denied?

Seeing that she would be leaving family, property, assets & a good job behind why did they think she's not returning? It sounds like she has every reason to actually return once her visit is done.

Timeline

I just read it after my last post here, did they say why she was denied?

Seeing that she would be leaving family, property, assets & a good job behind why did they think she's not returning? It sounds like she has every reason to actually return once her visit is done.

Thanks for the reply. We thought so too. I spoke with an employee over the phone at the USEM the other day and they said they had only the morning for visa interviews the day my MIL was interviewed. And during my MIL's interview, the officer had to stop, talked to another employee about the afternoon's activity which was a sports festival due to the MLK holiday and gave my MIL the impression that she was in a hurry to go somewhere. First question asked my MIL was who will pay for your trip so we were thinking this could be most relevant to the denial.. not sure what to think anymore! It could be a lot of other reasons.

Edited by pete_sf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Thanks for the reply. We thought so too. I spoke with an employee over the phone at the USEM the other day and they said they had only the morning for visa interviews the day my MIL was interviewed. And during my MIL's interview, the officer had to stop, talked to another employee about the afternoon's activity which was a sports festival due to the MLK holiday and gave my MIL the impression that she was in a hurry to go somewhere. First question asked my MIL was who will pay for your trip so we were thinking this could be most relevant to the denial.. not sure what to think anymore! It could be a lot of other reasons.

That would not have helped, but you will never know.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.