LuvIllinois

A little confused about timeline and dates, can someone help?

9 posts in this topic

Husband (USC) and I sent our I-130 to Toronto embassy on Sept. 12. We had our first appointment with them on November 19, where they "approved" our I-130, to be sent off to the Montreal embassy where we are now waiting for the official approval. So, does that mean that our first appt in Toronto was our NOA1??? Or would the package from Montreal be the NOA1?

Also, the paper they handed us that explained (barely) the next steps said we should be receiving the package from Montreal in 4-6 weeks. It is now going on 9 weeks. I know a lot of holidays fell in between. I'm trying not to think about it too much because I know it can take a while, but what is a realistic timeline at this point to be looking at? I can be patient if I kinda know what to expect, LOL

Thanks!

Started LDR with hubby July '04, married Nov '06

He moved and became permanent resident of Canada Nov '07

Now, we want to move back to his hometown in Illinois!

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

I-130 sent to Toronto Embassy: September 12, 2010

Initial approval at Toronto Embassy: November 19, 2010

Packet 3 rec'd January 28, 2011

Packet 4 rec'd March 21, 2011

Medical May 16, 2011

Interview July 12, 2011 - Approved!

Visa/Passport picked up DHL July 22, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Husband (USC) and I sent our I-130 to Toronto embassy on Sept. 12. We had our first appointment with them on November 19, where they "approved" our I-130, to be sent off to the Montreal embassy where we are now waiting for the official approval. So, does that mean that our first appt in Toronto was our NOA1??? Or would the package from Montreal be the NOA1?

Also, the paper they handed us that explained (barely) the next steps said we should be receiving the package from Montreal in 4-6 weeks. It is now going on 9 weeks. I know a lot of holidays fell in between. I'm trying not to think about it too much because I know it can take a while, but what is a realistic timeline at this point to be looking at? I can be patient if I kinda know what to expect, LOL

Thanks!

The Embassy is in Ottawa.... not Montreal or Toronto as they are consulates....

DCF is a different process... really no such thing as a NOA1, but the acceptance of your petition on Nov 19 was effectively the same. I doubt your I-130 was "approved" as it needs to go through a USCIS office. The consulate cannot do it themselves anymore..

YMMV

DCF is a different process... really no such thing as a NOA1, but the acceptance of your petition on Nov 19 was effectively the same. I doubt your I-130 was "approved" as it needs to go through a USCIS office. The consulate cannot do it themselves anymore..

Thanks...no idea why I thought Embassy and Consulate were the same thing.

I know my I-130 wasn't approved (ha, I wish! :) )...I just meant that the embassy gave us the ok that all of our paperwork was in order and it was received by them, but not by Montreal yet...that's where I get confused as to what exactly the NOA1 is and what the difference between NOA1 and NOA2 is.

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Where did you get this information that the consulates "cannot" do it themselves anymore.... this is the whole Idea behind the DCF process as it "eliminates the need for USCIS and NVC? Please correct me if I am wrong..... :help:

Thank you in advance!

Fatih and Kelly's Visa Journey

2010- 12-10: Sent I-130 and DS-230 Complete Package to US Embassy in Ankara, Turkey via UPS

which included everything BUT the Kitchen SINK!

2010-12-13: Per UPS, Package has been received at American Consulate in Ankara, Turkey

2011-01-20: Received Email from US Embassy in Ankara

INTERVIEW DATE 03/08/2011 @ 8:30 am !!!

2011-03-08: Placed in AP

I will NEVER give up and WILL fight to the END!

Apologies if I state in a comment that my husband and I have been together for years & years. It's just that I can hardly remember a time when he and I were not together.

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Thanks!

They usually get approved that day or very soon. If they stamped it approved and signed off on your documents in front of you then it's basically approved and they are checking things out. NOA1 is notice of acceptance. NOA2 is approved. Neither take place when you file direct at your embassy that is authorized to handle these. Are you sure that you gave them your correct contact information? Visit the embassy's website online and find out their phone number and what hours/days they answer inquiries and call them. If there are many others that filed along with you then it's going to take some time. Ask them when you call about how long it's been taking them. Make sure you call the embassy that is authorized to handle immigration that is closest to you and ask if they have your case. Good luck and keep us updated :D

Oct. 2009 - Met on Facebook(I found her through a friend)

July 2010 - Married

Oct. 2010 - Filed I-130 with USCIS

Nov. 2010 - Official permission to reside in Indonesia (KITAS)

Jan. 2011 - Medical Exam and Vaccinations completed

Jan. 2011 - Cancelled I-130

Jan. 2011 - Filed DCF (Direct Consular Filing)

Jan. 2011 - I-130 Approved

Jan. 2011 - Rec. (packet 3)instructions

Jan. 2011 - Gathering Documents

Feb. 2011 - Emailed Embassy

Feb. 2011 - Interview Date Sent

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Took 32 days from the filing of the petition to getting visa

They usually get approved that day or very soon. If they stamped it approved and signed off on your documents in front of you then it's basically approved and they are checking things out. NOA1 is notice of acceptance. NOA2 is approved. Neither take place when you file direct at your embassy that is authorized to handle these. Are you sure that you gave them your correct contact information? Visit the embassy's website online and find out their phone number and what hours/days they answer inquiries and call them. If there are many others that filed along with you then it's going to take some time. Ask them when you call about how long it's been taking them. Make sure you call the embassy that is authorized to handle immigration that is closest to you and ask if they have your case. Good luck and keep us updated :D

After we gave the lady all of our original documents in Toronto(BC, marriage license, etc), we got a piece of paper that says (I've streamlined this), "YOUR IMMIGRANT PETITION (I-130) HAS BEEN ACCEPTED - WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? and it goes on to say, I am the beneficiary....your I-130 will be sent to Montreal for further processing. DHS must check it's data base then DHS will advise Montreal within 2-3 weeks after filing if there is any objection. If no objection, the I-130 petition will be approved in Montreal to then apply for a Visa. Montreal will create a IV case file 2-3 weeks after receiving your I-130. The package you will receive will have a step-by-step process to follow. Return the DS 230 part 1 asap. Then onto photos and medical evidence. Then interview."

I have a receipt that she stapled on this piece of paper with a receipt # for the filing fee ($355) but that's it. The only thing I take from this is that we have all of our documents in order but we still aren't really approved in any shape or form, because Montreal is the one making the decision, not Toronto...all they do is just take scans of the original documents so we didn't have to mail them.

So....is this still the NOA1? I am so confused!!! :unsure:

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

After we gave the lady all of our original documents in Toronto(BC, marriage license, etc), we got a piece of paper that says (I've streamlined this), "YOUR IMMIGRANT PETITION (I-130) HAS BEEN ACCEPTED - WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? and it goes on to say, I am the beneficiary....your I-130 will be sent to Montreal for further processing. DHS must check it's data base then DHS will advise Montreal within 2-3 weeks after filing if there is any objection. If no objection, the I-130 petition will be approved in Montreal to then apply for a Visa. Montreal will create a IV case file 2-3 weeks after receiving your I-130. The package you will receive will have a step-by-step process to follow. Return the DS 230 part 1 asap. Then onto photos and medical evidence. Then interview."

I have a receipt that she stapled on this piece of paper with a receipt # for the filing fee ($355) but that's it. The only thing I take from this is that we have all of our documents in order but we still aren't really approved in any shape or form, because Montreal is the one making the decision, not Toronto...all they do is just take scans of the original documents so we didn't have to mail them.

So....is this still the NOA1? I am so confused!!! :unsure:

You are lucky they didn't make you fly to Montreal to file. In my case I had to fly 850 miles. You should call Montreal and at least find out if your case was received. Yes it sounds like you are still at the NOA1 (received, accepted)level because the embassy that you gave your paper work to does not process any I-130 applications but they were allowed to accept the application. If you visit the embassy's website in Montreal it gives a long timeline of 6 to 12 months so they must be very busy. Note that the fee is now $420. Go here for their detailed process, http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/immigration_usa_relative.asp

Good luck.

Oct. 2009 - Met on Facebook(I found her through a friend)

July 2010 - Married

Oct. 2010 - Filed I-130 with USCIS

Nov. 2010 - Official permission to reside in Indonesia (KITAS)

Jan. 2011 - Medical Exam and Vaccinations completed

Jan. 2011 - Cancelled I-130

Jan. 2011 - Filed DCF (Direct Consular Filing)

Jan. 2011 - I-130 Approved

Jan. 2011 - Rec. (packet 3)instructions

Jan. 2011 - Gathering Documents

Feb. 2011 - Emailed Embassy

Feb. 2011 - Interview Date Sent

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Took 32 days from the filing of the petition to getting visa

You are lucky they didn't make you fly to Montreal to file. In my case I had to fly 850 miles. You should call Montreal and at least find out if your case was received. Yes it sounds like you are still at the NOA1 (received, accepted)level because the embassy that you gave your paper work to does not process any I-130 applications but they were allowed to accept the application. If you visit the embassy's website in Montreal it gives a long timeline of 6 to 12 months so they must be very busy. Note that the fee is now $420. Go here for their detailed process, http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/immigration_usa_relative.asp

Good luck.

That's crazy you had to fly!!! Wow.

It's just so frustrating since I keep reading such different timelines everywhere. When we filed for my hubby to immigrate to Canada, I wasn't nearly as confused, LOL. I'm just a little worried since Canada Post totally messed up our immigration paperwork when he came this way...we paid to have tracking and they forgot to enter it!!! We had no clue where our package was until we finally got a paper back from them stating our stuff was in process. That was a crazy few months wondering if some loser got a hold of our whole lives and the possibility of identity theft or just even starting all over again!!! YIKES. :wacko:

I can be patient if I have a realistic time to go by, but when they say they will notify you within 4-6 weeks of receiving your paperwork, and it's now going on 9, I get a bit worried. I tried emailing them but they refused to answer, so I guess I will have to try calling.

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

How flippin' frustrating! I just tried calling Montreal but they no longer offer Live Operator assistance regarding immigrant visas. They will not answer any questions about receipt of paperwork or faxes. They direct you to use email but when I did that, they refuse to answer the same questions there too!

So, I guess I'm just at their mercy to just hope that everything is going ok :help:

Filed DCF for IR1 Visa

Medical May 16, 2011

POE date August 26, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.