Tunisia216

FYI RE: Tunis Embassy

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't see any threads on VJ regarding the events of the last month in Tunisia. Particularly the overthrow of a brutal regime and the flight of it's long standing ( 23 years ) dictator Ben Ali. I have been running several sites and groups dedicated to the cause and frankly didn't have the energy to start it up here as well. Though I was rather surprised there was no mention of it, especially in MENA.

I came across some information this morning that may be needed for petitioners going through the Tunisian Embassy.

The US Embassy is being evacuated ( at leas that's what I'm getting from the message) and chartering a private flight for all American Embassy employees, their families, and any other Americans living in Tunisia that wish to flee the country.

I do not know what this means for previously scheduled visa interviews, though I imagine it means indefinite postponement until they are able to reopen. They may post information regarding conducting the interviews at another consulate. I will continue to watch the situation and return to post information if/when they reopen or release more information about visa interviews.

The following information can be found at : http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/wm_01162011.html

It states : Warden Message

The Department of State has authorized the departure of Embassy family members from Tunisia. U.S. citizens in Tunisia should closely examine their security situation in light of this and other recent developments and consider departing Tunisia. The U.S. Department of State has arranged for a chartered aircraft to transport departing personnel to Rabat, Morocco on early Tuesday morning, January 18, 2011.

U.S. citizens who wish to be transported from Tunis to Rabat should reply by e-mail to tunisiaunrestamcit@state.gov . The name, date of birth, gender, citizenship and travel document number, as indicated on the biographical page of each traveler's travel document must be submitted, as well as each non-U.S. citizen's relationship to the U.S. citizen family member. Please also include a valid contact e-mail or telephone number for each family. Anyone using this transportation will be required to sign a promissory note and reimburse the U.S. government for the full contract cost per traveler. Onward travel, including ground transportation in Rabat, will not be arranged nor sponsored by the U.S. government and will be the responsibility of the traveler.

U.S. citizens and their immediate family members (spouses and children) will have priority for available seats. All those desiring to travel to Rabat on this flight must have valid travel documents and be able to enter Morocco. Moroccan visa support will not be provided; however, U.S. citizens do not require a visa to enter Morocco for a temporary visit. Those who have requested to be transported should report with no more than one piece of checked luggage and no more than one carry-on bag per traveler. Pets will not be allowed on this charter flight. Normal prohibitions on items and other normal security restrictions will be observed. Ground transportation to the airport will be provided from the Embassy to the airport. No parking will be available for travelers' vehicles.

For additional information, please contact TunisUnrestAmcit@state.gov .

The Embassy is located in the Les Berges du Lac suburb of Tunis. The Embassy telephone number is +216 71 107 000 and the Embassy fax number is +216 71 963 263. The Consular section can also be contacted by email at ConsularTunis@state.gov.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Thank you. Through immigration, I very rarely come on VJ anymore, but have been checking here in hopes of hearing info on Tunisia and am also surprised not to find any. Could you link to the other sites you refer to?

Also, the Warden's Message sounds like for the moment they are evacuating embassy family members but not embassy staff. Many embassies operate as unaccompanied posts (Algeria did for a while) without it effecting consular or other services. Still, it goes without saying that anyone going through Tunisia should check.

This is one of the main pages, though there are others if you read Arabic. This one is in English : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_139058696153833&notif_t=group_activity#!/pages/TunAnonymous-News-Network/183771314977353

The main Anonymous group is located here : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_139058696153833&notif_t=group_activity#!/pages/Anonymous-News-Network/114504038619787

We started out on the main Anon group but as things seemed to calm down, a group only for Tunisian Anons was formed. Right now Anon is focusing on Operation Spain, but also bringing in information about Algeria at the moment. They asked us to clear out to our own space so they could continue their fight.

I'm not able to figure out from the notice if they are only evacuating family members of embassy employees and other US citizens or if they are evacuating embassy staff as well? I'm trying to get more information now through contacts on the ground.

The situation seemed to be getting better and in many areas there has been a restoration of peace and calm, thanks to the wonderful Tunisian army. However, the biggest problem right now is ' mobs ' and 'gangs' mainly made up of Tunisian police and those loyal to the RCD ( Ben Ali's party) that are determined not to go down without a fight. They are attacking people, homes, businesses, and in some cases shooting and killing people. When the majority of the violence seemed as though it was over, a young man named Ilyes was shot in the back of the head and murdered by one of these police gangs, while sitting on the sidewalk with some friends to protect the town and be a neighborhood watch of sorts.

It's also spread and is kicking off in Egypt and Algeria. I believe, last I checked, 3 people in Algeria had set themselves on fire and one in Egypt. :(

Please note the following video is not appropriate for children and has graphic content. Viewer discretion advised.

Tunisians scream for Ben Ali to GET OUT.. DEGAGE!!

Edited by Tunisia216

Translation of the new Tamer Hosny song for Tunis to English :

Oh Tunisian fallen heroes, you didn't die. The day you gave your lives for your dignity is your birthday Our martyrs and Bouazizi will remain in our hearts and our beautiful Tunisia will always be beautiful....

From Egypt and from my heart to all of the Tunisian people. Know that anyone that leaves from you Tunisians, will go to a better place

Mohammed Bouazizi (allah yar7mou) is the man who sat himself on fire in mid December and sparked a revolution that brought an evil dictator to his knees. There is now talk of naming the new airport in Enfidah after him. It was previously named Zine Abedine Ben Ali International Airport, but Tunisians removed his name from the front of the airport. For the time being, it's being called Enfidah International, but I think in the end it will be called Bouazizi International. He's a national hero and I believe the world will sing about him for years to come.

News outlets are finally stating over 100 dead (previously they were using the numbers of Ben Ali's government and saying 20) but I think when everything is said and done, with the suicides by fire, the protesters shot dead by police, the people shot dead by the police gangs, and those that died in a prison fire in Montastir, the number of dead will be near 200.

I have spoken directly with the US Embassy and they state that the Embassy in La Marsa ( Tunis ) will remain open and functioning, however wait times could be slow and some interviews could be rescheduled, as they are working with a lesser " crew ".

Repeat, Embassy is NOT closed, it will remain open, but expect the potential of delays for all non essential / non emergency business.

Until this past week I wasn't really aware of all that had been happening in Tunisia. I always ask my fiance how his family back in Tunisia is doing. Usually he says just fine with the bit of everyday drama that they have. Then he fiannly told me he had been watching the news or that he had spoken with his brother. But have been googling the internet everyday to see what else is happening there. I am very happy for the Tunisia people that they may soon have the freedom they deserve from a less crupt and more democratic government!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Until this past week I wasn't really aware of all that had been happening in Tunisia. I always ask my fiance how his family back in Tunisia is doing. Usually he says just fine with the bit of everyday drama that they have. Then he fiannly told me he had been watching the news or that he had spoken with his brother. But have been googling the internet everyday to see what else is happening there. I am very happy for the Tunisia people that they may soon have the freedom they deserve from a less crupt and more democratic government!! :thumbs::thumbs:

news from what's happening today in Tunisia http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-tunisia-politics-20110118,0,3744911.story

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I was surprised that nothing was posted here either. My MIL was born in Tunis where her father settled the family during the French occupation of Algeria. She moved to Algeria when she married my FIL. Now, all of her siblings are living in Algeria except for one sister and her family. We've talked to them only once in the last week, but they are telling us about rampant looting and men shooting from cars as they drive around. They're sleeping in shifts because they're afraid to all sleep at one time, and they feel that someone needs to be up at all times.

My husband, of course, thinks this is all a major plan by the army to take over the country. He sits there shaking his head saying "this is Algeria in 1988" over and over again. He has a major distrust of these leaders because of what he endured in Algeria and I can't blame him. I just hope and pray for a positive outcome for the people of Tunisia.

event.png

I've followed the events on Twitter, Facebook, youtube and Aljazeera.

One of my favorite tweets about the topic was this one: "US media FAIL. RT @Galrahn: I just watched a government fall on Twitter while #CNN interviewed the Jeopardy host about a robot contestant."

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

I've followed the events on Twitter, Facebook, youtube and Aljazeera.

One of my favorite tweets about the topic was this one: "US media FAIL. RT @Galrahn: I just watched a government fall on Twitter while #CNN interviewed the Jeopardy host about a robot contestant."

My favorite was : "Note to Ben Ali : Send the plane back when you're done. It's not yours. "

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My favorite was : "Note to Ben Ali : Send the plane back when you're done. It's not yours. "

:lol::thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

yeah, I've seen this one. I hope things well get better for Tunisia, all is not done yet.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

yeah, I've seen this one. I hope things well get better for Tunisia, all is not done yet.

You are right, it most definitely is not done yet. Things may get worse before they get better, but there has to be a storm before any calm.

The recent news (and most disturbing) is that the interim unity government is upwards of 70% compromised of old RCD (Ben Ali's party) dogs and 30% new blood. The people are back in the streets this morning, screaming their bloody heads off. Ghannouchi DEGAGE! RCD DEGAGE! ( Leave).

In response, police are back in the streets firing tear gas at crowds of demonstrators. So far I've had no credible reports of live bullets, though there are rumors going around that in some cities they are using live ammunition. God knows we don't need any more blood.

They named a blogger who suffered horribly at the hands of Ben Ali's regime for his outspoken articles on the corruption of the government, to the post of Minister of Youth (Secretary) and that was a positive step. It's just not enough and we have so much further to go.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.