smurfette1971

changing to married last name

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hello

can anyone tell me how i would go about to change my last name now to married last name

all my usa immigration papers and PRC is in maiden name as at the time of applying my canadian passport was my maiden name

now i want to start process of changing to married last name i now am living in USA

thank you for all your help

Take your marriage cert and apply for a new SSN card in your married name

Apply for a driver's license in your married name

File form I-90 to update your greencard (note this costs $450)

Update any other accounts you have

If you have a conditional greencard you might want to wait until you file for ROC (I-751) and apply for that in your married name instead of doing I-90 now.

Edited by nickbits

Timeline

Take your marriage cert and apply for a new SSN card in your married name

Apply for a driver's license in your married name

File form I-90 to update your greencard (note this costs $450)

Update any other accounts you have

If you have a conditional greencard you might want to wait until you file for ROC (I-751) and apply for that in your married name instead of doing I-90 now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

ALSO WHAT ABOUT MY CANADIAN PASSPORT

YES MY GREEN CARD I GOT IS A CONDITIONAL ONE IT EXPIRES 2 YEARS FROM TIME ISSUE

SO SHOULD I APPLY FOR MARRIED NAME NOW AS I AM WANTING TO CHANGE ALL MY ID TO MARRIED NAME

JUST SCARED THAT MY GREENCARD WONT MATCH ALL OTHER ID AND I MIGHT GET DENIED INTO USA IF I TRAVEL OUTSIDE OF USA

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFO

IM GONNA GO DOWN TODAY AND CHANGE MY SSN AND DRIVERS TO MARRIED NAME

ASLONG AS IT WONT GET ME KICKED OUT OR IN TROUBLE IN USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

THANK YOU SO MUCH

SO SHOULD I APPLY FOR MARRIED NAME NOW AS I AM WANTING TO CHANGE ALL MY ID TO MARRIED NAME

JUST SCARED THAT MY GREENCARD WONT MATCH ALL OTHER ID AND I MIGHT GET DENIED INTO USA IF I TRAVEL OUTSIDE OF USA

My wife's Green-card is married name, passport is maiden name, having GC and Passport not match is not a problem for travel

Also what's with the all CAPITAL LETTERS? All capitals is SHOUTING!!

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

My wife's passport and her greencard don't match, she hasn't had any problems (so far).

If you don't mind spending the fee to file I90, no reason you can't do it now.

I think the best bet for the CDN passport is mail the application with certified copies of original documents (marriage cert, etc). I'm not 100% sure you can get back into the US with just your greencard so that rules out applying in person for the CND passport since you have to surrender your old one when applying for a new one.

Timeline

My wife's Green-card is married name, passport is maiden name, having GC and Passport not match is not a problem for travel

Also what's with the all CAPITAL LETTERS? All capitals is SHOUTING!!

oh sorry i was filling out a form that had to be caps forgot to take cap lock off

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

THANK YOU SO MUCH

With your green card being in your maiden name not sure why it was not in your married name , if you travel you would have to carry your marriage certificate with you which has your married name on it.

For proof of ID and with passport not sure of your country but in Australia I have to write and pay for name change back there (births, deaths &marriages dept) and then the embassy here will change my name on passport for me. Hope this helps.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

My wife's passport and her greencard don't match, she hasn't had any problems (so far).

If you don't mind spending the fee to file I90, no reason you can't do it now.

I think the best bet for the CDN passport is mail the application with certified copies of original documents (marriage cert, etc). I'm not 100% sure you can get back into the US with just your greencard so that rules out applying in person for the CND passport since you have to surrender your old one when applying for a new one.

what about drivers and ssn not matching greencard

im going to apply for cdn passport with married name cost 102 cdn

then i will work on greencard for 450 or should i wait till the 2 year mark for greencard

just afraid all my id will show married name but greencard shows maiden name

Timeline

what about drivers and ssn not matching greencard

im going to apply for cdn passport with married name cost 102 cdn

then i will work on greencard for 450 or should i wait till the 2 year mark for greencard

just afraid all my id will show married name but greencard shows maiden name

i am going to send all documents to my mother in canada and also a written letter giving permission for her to file on my behalf along with certified copies of all documents

Filed: Timeline

I'm not 100% sure you can get back into the US with just your greencard so that rules out applying in person for the CND passport since you have to surrender your old one when applying for a new one.

Yes, you can reenter the US with just the GC. (You can also enter Canada with just the GC, FWIW.) You don't have to surrender your old passport when applying for a new one. They will return it to you voided if you request that. In addition, you can get it expedited so you don't have to travel without it.

With your green card being in your maiden name not sure why it was not in your married name , if you travel you would have to carry your marriage certificate with you which has your married name on it.

Can't think of any reason why you'd need to carry your marriage certificate if both your GC and your passport are in the same name. In fact, I don't carry my marriage certificate and both my GC and my passport are in different names.

For proof of ID and with passport not sure of your country but in Australia I have to write and pay for name change back there (births, deaths &marriages dept) and then the embassy here will change my name on passport for me. Hope this helps.

Canada does not allow passports to be updated with a married name.... you have to apply for a new passport.

what if i wait till my two year condition is up to change name on greencard would it be cheaper and is that legal

if all my other id has married name on it

Your maiden name on ID is legal, as is your married name. You will never lose the right to go by your maiden name. I have numerous ID's in both my names and travel often. It has never been a problem. Ever.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What Krikit said. It really isn't an issue. My Canadian passport is in my maiden name, and will be until it expires in 2014. I have been traveling this way for over a year and it hasn't posed a problem. There is absolutely no way I would spend $400 to have my name changed on a card that will be invalid in the next two years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.