jpidgley

Address Change

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I know there are probably hundreds of these topics already open, but i was just wondering if it is really necessary to inform them of a change of address.

I'm the beneficiary and have moved house from when we received our NOA1. I have postal redirection so i wont miss anything that gets sent to my name at my old address, and the instructions on what to do on the USCIS website and VJ forums seem really confusing, so my question is, can i just leave it?

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Adjustment of Status - 2012

Removal of Conditions - 2014

Naturalization - Pending

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

unless it's family or a good friend to notify you if mail comes from the uscis, if not then yes you need address change even when you go to the postal service to have your mail forward, to your new address,as a rule the uscis don't forward mail.so youneed to file AR-11 ON LINE,and file another form 1-865 for the sponser,

She is in England and is just beginning. Your US fiance will get the notice of the petition approval. At this point the OP hasn't really applied for a visa (which won't be with USCIS, but with Dept of State & US Embassy). My opinion is that the UK person changing address with USCIS will just muddy the water because they'll never get it straight.

After the NOA2 (approval of petition) London will get the package and mail you a letter to the address on the petition. There is nothing magic in the P3 letter but a link to their website. You don't need the letter. This is your UK P3 http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

You can call DOS(202)663-1225, press 1, then 0. They can give you your new LND case number and confirm if packet 3 has been sent. So even if you don't get the physical P3 letter, once you know it has been sent, you can proceed with mailing in your forms to apply for the visa. Those forms (DS-XXX) should be correct with your current address. There will be a place that lists all addresses. They should have it straight when your forms come in and will mail your appointment to the address on your DS forms.

A few weeks after your forms have been sent in, DOS can also tell you if/when an interview has been scheduled. If for some reason you don't get the paper appointment letter, then you can call the embsassy and they can send another after you've told them your new address or email you one. It's your ticket to get in the door.

This is just my opinion and exactly what I would do.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

ok first, im a guy ;) but no problem lol.

So basically just wait for royal mail to redirect the NOA2 (should take an extra day, thats how long the rest of my mail has taken when redirected) Then as long as i fil lout the P3 forms with my new address i should be fine?

Thanks

Josh....male...:P

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Naturalization - Pending

ok first, im a guy ;) but no problem lol.

So basically just wait for royal mail to redirect the NOA2 (should take an extra day, thats how long the rest of my mail has taken when redirected) Then as long as i fil lout the P3 forms with my new address i should be fine?

Thanks

Josh....male...:P

Josh in the UK--

NOA2 goes to your lady's house in the US. You would eventually get something in the UK from the Embassy in London but that will be several weeks after she gets the NOA2. We call it getting Packet 3 but in the case of London, it isn't a packet at all--it's the website link I gave you. Royal Mail may or may not redirect it, but if you carefully read my post it explains what to do without ever receiving the letter. Yes, I think it will be fine as long as you fill out the new forms with the new address. But there's ways to check on it as you go via calling DOS (US Dept of State). Don't expect it will get forwarded. Call DOS after NOA2 to find out your LND case number so you can make a medical appointment. Then call DOS weekly until they tell you that London has issued your "packet 3". Only then should you send in your forms. Bookmark that website that has all you need to know about your part in London. After your forms have been sent to London (about 3 weeks) start calling DOS again to find out if your interview has been scheduled just in case they don't get the address right or forward. Your US fiance can do the calling too as long as she gives the USCIS case number and both your names and birthdates for security verification. Calling DOS is free. Calling the Embassy is 1.20 a minute from the UK or $16.00 from the US.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Josh in the UK--

NOA2 goes to your lady's house in the US. You would eventually get something in the UK from the Embassy in London but that will be several weeks after she gets the NOA2. We call it getting Packet 3 but in the case of London, it isn't a packet at all--it's the website link I gave you. Royal Mail may or may not redirect it, but if you carefully read my post it explains what to do without ever receiving the letter. Yes, I think it will be fine as long as you fill out the new forms with the new address. But there's ways to check on it as you go via calling DOS (US Dept of State). Don't expect it will get forwarded. Call DOS after NOA2 to find out your LND case number so you can make a medical appointment. Then call DOS weekly until they tell you that London has issued your "packet 3". Only then should you send in your forms. Bookmark that website that has all you need to know about your part in London. After your forms have been sent to London (about 3 weeks) start calling DOS again to find out if your interview has been scheduled just in case they don't get the address right or forward. Your US fiance can do the calling too as long as she gives the USCIS case number and both your names and birthdates for security verification. Calling DOS is free. Calling the Embassy is 1.20 a minute from the UK or $16.00 from the US.

Thanks!

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Naturalization - Pending

Timeline

Just going to double check i have this right:

1. NOA2 goes to my finace's house in the US.

2. I Call DOS after NOA2 to find out my LND case number so I can make a medical appointment.

3. Make and attend a medical appointment.

4. Then I call DOS weekly until they tell me that London has issued my "packet 3".

5. Only then should I send in forms: DS-230 Part 1, DS 2001, Form DS-156, Form DS-157, Form DS-156-K.

6. After my forms have been sent to London I should start calling DOS again to find out if my interview has been scheduled just in case they don't get the address right.

Josh.

K1 Visa - 2011

AP & EAD - 2012

Naturalization - Pending

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There:

Sorry to jump in... but I've a quick question about an address change, too.

I've been living in the UK on a Tier 1 but am moving back to California in February to begin to set up life for us there, get a job, settle back in, etc. Because I've been using my parents address as the mailing address (though I did state I lived in the UK when filling out the I-129F) - do I need to inform them of my relocation back to the US?

Since the mail's been going to my parents (and that's where I'm moving, initially) - I don't believe I would need to?

Just want to make sure we're not going to get a slap on the wrist or anything.

Just going to double check i have this right:

1. NOA2 goes to my finace's house in the US.

2. I Call DOS after NOA2 to find out my LND case number so I can make a medical appointment.

3. Make and attend a medical appointment.

4. Then I call DOS weekly until they tell me that London has issued my "packet 3".

5. Only then should I send in forms: DS-230 Part 1, DS 2001, Form DS-156, Form DS-157, Form DS-156-K.

6. After my forms have been sent to London I should start calling DOS again to find out if my interview has been scheduled just in case they don't get the address right.

Josh.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.