Brenda2010

Applying for SSN on a K1 Visa

10 posts in this topic

Hi all - wondering which option to take on the form...able to work or not able to work? Technically i'm not able to work till i get my green card but that won't happen for a couple months (still have to get married, file EAD/AP). Noticed that others have got their SSNs within weeks of arriving...what option did you select...able or not able? When you have a sec, thanks, Brenda

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

2 weeks after you go to the SSN office and apply, you can get your SSN but you are not able to work without EAD or green card. I selected Not able, based on the form I had the box was for legal resident not able to work. Got my card with "only valid with DHS authorization " stamped on it. Used my SSN to get on the bank account, car insurance etc. Got my green card went back to SSN and they took the stamped words off it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all - wondering which option to take on the form...able to work or not able to work? Technically i'm not able to work till i get my green card but that won't happen for a couple months (still have to get married, file EAD/AP). Noticed that others have got their SSNs within weeks of arriving...what option did you select...able or not able? When you have a sec, thanks, Brenda

You won't be able to work until you have your EAD or GC. Having a SSN card does not automatically allow you to work for K-1 case. Normally, it takes 10-14 days for your arrival information to show up on SSN's system. You go to local SSN office with your passport, I-94, and K-I visa and tell them you need a SSN. Here's my post for my SSN experience. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/279622-my-experience-at-ssa-office-california/page__p__4250188__fromsearch__1#entry4250188

Here's a quote from SSN web site:

"Work eligibility: To apply for a Social Security number to work in the United States, you must show us current immigration documents with work authorization."

Good luck!

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Timeline

I got my ssn after I was married without any work autho documents. Just my marriage cert ( to get it in my married name ) and my passport with valid I-94.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

On the SS-5 form to apply for a SSN, K-1 holders who are applying for a SSN before their I-94 expiry date should mark that they ARE an "alien authorized to work". It's a weird quirk of the SSA regulations. There's a SSA policy document you can download from here. The link is in the SSN section under Guides. It specifically lists K-1 holders as work authorized for SSA purposes.

You still can't actually work without having an EAD, but if you check "alien authorized for work" on the SS-5, you get less pushback and confusion from the SSA clerks.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Don't forget to bring your marriage cert if you want your SSN in your married name, otherwise it will be in your maiden name and you'll have to go back to change that (if you want to that is)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Timeline

On the SS-5 form to apply for a SSN, K-1 holders who are applying for a SSN before their I-94 expiry date should mark that they ARE an "alien authorized to work". It's a weird quirk of the SSA regulations. There's a SSA policy document you can download from here. The link is in the SSN section under Guides. It specifically lists K-1 holders as work authorized for SSA purposes.

You still can't actually work without having an EAD, but if you check "alien authorized for work" on the SS-5, you get less pushback and confusion from the SSA clerks.

+1 to HD. I'd search for the SSA policy doc where it states this but I'm too lazy. But if you have a pressing need to see it, I will.

Moving from Canada forum to the SSN section.

iagree.gif

I'd search for the SSA policy doc where it states this but I'm too lazy.

What is on this Web site RM 00203.500 is obsolete.

RM 10211.420 Employment Authorization for Non-immigrants

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211420

C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

The following policy applies to employment authorization by class of admission:

1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization

The following sections list non-immigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

K-1 - Fiancé(e) of U.S. citizen

if you check "alien authorized for work" on the SS-5, you get less pushback and confusion from the SSA clerks.

Once again you don't have to check anything. If you submit an SSN application in person they will enter your info into the computer based on the evidence you provide and the answers to the questions you are asked. Have you review what they entered and you are done if it's correct.

RM 10205.175 Applicant’s Electronic Signature for an Application for an SSN Card Processed in SSNAP

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205175

A. Applicant completes application for an SSN card in the FO

When an applicant applies for an SSN card in the FO:

1. Read the following script to inform the applicant that we do not require a pen-and-ink signature:

“During this interview, we will ask you questions that will be used to process (your/ name of number holder) application. At the end of the interview, we will ask you to confirm the truthfulness of your answers under penalty of perjury and we will record your response. You should be aware that you can be held legally responsible for giving us false information.”

2. Complete the appropriate SSNAP screens

3. Print the SSNAP printout and give to the applicant to review. Read the following script:

“Here is a printed copy of the information that will be used to process (your or name of number holder) application. Please review all the information carefully and tell us if anything needs to be corrected.

4. Make corrections, if necessary, and reprint the SSNAP printout for the applicant’s approval.

5. When the applicant agrees with the information on the application, read the following script from the SSNAP Verify and Sign screen:

“Do you understand that the information you gave us and examined will be used to process (your/name of number holder) application? Do you declare under penalty of perjury that this information is true and correct to the best of your knowledge?”

6. Annotate one of the following on the SSNAP Verify and Sign screen based on the applicant’s response to the above question YES - Attestation

7. Shred the SSNAP printout when the application is successfully processed, unless the applicant asks to keep it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Once again you don't have to check anything. If you submit an SSN application in person they will enter your info into the computer based on the evidence you provide and the answers to the questions you are asked. Have you review what they entered and you are done if it's correct.

RM 10205.175 Applicant’s Electronic Signature for an Application for an SSN Card Processed in SSNAP

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205175

A. Applicant completes application for an SSN card in the FO

When an applicant applies for an SSN card in the FO:

1. Read the following script to inform the applicant that we do not require a pen-and-ink signature:

“During this interview, we will ask you questions that will be used to process (your/ name of number holder) application. At the end of the interview, we will ask you to confirm the truthfulness of your answers under penalty of perjury and we will record your response. You should be aware that you can be held legally responsible for giving us false information.”

2. Complete the appropriate SSNAP screens

3. Print the SSNAP printout and give to the applicant to review. Read the following script:

“Here is a printed copy of the information that will be used to process (your or name of number holder) application. Please review all the information carefully and tell us if anything needs to be corrected.

4. Make corrections, if necessary, and reprint the SSNAP printout for the applicant’s approval.

5. When the applicant agrees with the information on the application, read the following script from the SSNAP Verify and Sign screen:

“Do you understand that the information you gave us and examined will be used to process (your/name of number holder) application? Do you declare under penalty of perjury that this information is true and correct to the best of your knowledge?”

6. Annotate one of the following on the SSNAP Verify and Sign screen based on the applicant’s response to the above question YES - Attestation

7. Shred the SSNAP printout when the application is successfully processed, unless the applicant asks to keep it.

I did not submitted my SSN application SS-5. I just told them I needed a SSN card and handed over my passport with I-94 and K-1. Then the clerk ask me to provide parents' name, current address etc on a scarp paper. Then he crunch in the information on his computer and asked me to review the accuracy of the information. That's it. SSN available in mail in two weeks.

Oh by the way, it might depend on SSA office. Some offices might want SS-5.

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.