CQ & CS

My experience at SSA Office - California

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys, just want to share my experience on getting SSN in Pasadena, CA

So here we go~~ I checked out my local SSA office two days after I arrived and as other folks/guides mentioned here that my recored of arrival would not be in their system yet. So the officer at SSA office asked me to check back a week later, which is today. So I went there at 11am today, it was surprisingly quiet. I took a ticket at the self-checkin machine and I was next in line. It was the same guy who asked me to check back this week but apparently he did not remember me. That's fine. So I told him why I was here and he started looking at his computer. Then he punched in some information on my Canadian passport and my I-94 and asked my to filled out my current address in Pasadena and phone number on a single piece of scrape paper. I did and he punched the info in again. Then he said ok that's all you are verified. Then I asked if I needed to fill in any kind of forms and he said "No, you have been assigned a SSN and it's ready to pick up next monday". And he printed out a receipt to me.

So I'm not sure if it's a new procedures or it varies by SSA location. I do not need to fill out any SS-5 form at all and I got my SSN assigned.

Our AOS Journey started:

Nov 06, 2010: CS & CQ got married in Las Vegas

Nov 26, 2010: AOS-EAD-AP package sent out

Nov 29, 2010: Package delivered at 1:12pm

Dec 10, 2010: Received text messages from USCIS regarding receipt numbers for AOS, EAD, and AP

Dec 14, 2010: Received three I-797C from mail

Dec 18, 2010: Touched

Jan 05, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (email)

Jan 10, 2011: Received RFE for I-485 (hardcopy)

Jan 11, 2011: Sent response to RFE for I-485 (Fedex/UPS do not deliver to PO Box. Only USPS does and it takes 2 days even for Express Post)

Jan 13, 2011: Response to RFE delivered

Jan 14, 2011: Touched

Jan 15, 2011: Touched

Jan 18, 2011: Received Biometric Appointment letter in mail

Jan 21, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Walk-in Successful)

Feb 10, 2011: Biometric Appointment (Originally Scheduled)

Feb 12, 2011: Received 1st text/email for EAD card in production and AP was APPROVED

Feb 17, 2011: Received 2nd text/email for EAD card in production

Feb 18, 2011: Received 3rd text/email for EAD card has been mailed out

Feb 18, 2011: Received AP!!!! YAY!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received EAD!!!!

Feb 22, 2011: Received letter for 2nd fingerprints :(

Mar 17, 2011: 2nd fingerprints

May 02, 2011: AOS Interview Approved!!!!!!

May 07, 2011: Received "Welcome to America" letter

May 09, 2011: Received Green Card. Yay!!!!!

as1cHvOuM2B0010MDA3MjM5cHN8NDUyOTY1c3xIYXBwaWx5IE1hcnJpZWQ.gif

Filed: Timeline

Has been like this since the new system was put in place last February. This is why I have told people I don't how many times to not sweat over the questions on the SS-5. They will enter everything into the computer based on the evidence you provide and the questions they ask. The only thing you didn't mention that they should have done is have you review everything they entered.

The only time the SS-5 is required is when an application is mailed in or taken into the office by someone other than the applicant. If you taken an SS-5 when you apply they might copy some of they info off it, but it's going in the trash when they are done.

RM 10205.175 Applicant’s Electronic Signature for an Application for an SSN Card Processed in SSNAP:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205175

RM 10205.170 Applicant’s Signature for an Application for an SSN Card:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110205170

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.