9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As we prepare our AOS application, we had one question about translation of documents. We've seen the recommended translator certification statement, but have people had experience with rejected translations? In our case, we currently only have a copy of the translated birth certificate and the translator's statement reads that "I have translated this document into English truly and exactly as my best knowledge". Any thoughts on whether that would be acceptable?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

As we prepare our AOS application, we had one question about translation of documents. We've seen the recommended translator certification statement, but have people had experience with rejected translations? In our case, we currently only have a copy of the translated birth certificate and the translator's statement reads that "I have translated this document into English truly and exactly as my best knowledge". Any thoughts on whether that would be acceptable?

Thanks!

We had a few copies made for my husbands birth certificate but we only ended up using one I believe. Is the copy certified by the translator? I think that is the most important part.

01/23/2009 ----------Leave Athens and my Honey for the processes to begin

02/10/2009 ----------Beginning of Greek Military Obligations for 11 months

03/21/2009 ----------Stationed to Rhodes

07/16/2009-----------Meeting in Spain for 6 days!

08/27/2009-----------Stationed to Nevrokopi

01/10/2010-----------Gets OUT of the Army!

02/16/2010-----------Interview!

02/24/2010-----------Lampros arrives in WA!!!

He didn't just want me long, he wanted me a little longer than forever... :3

Timeline

Thanks!

Eh... Your translator's statement is poorly worded, and doesn't contain the required declaration of their fluency in both English and Vietnamese. If I were an IO I would have trouble believing the accuracy of the translated document when the grammar of the English declaration is poor.

Can you get the translator to reprint the translated documents using the standard certification statement?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi, guys!

Here is what the USCIS site says about translation.

"Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address "

I needed some translations and I asked one of my friend, fluent in both English and Romanian to do them and sign the above statement.

2-7-11 - Day 0 -sent AOS package (concurrent filling)

2-11-11-Day 4 - received text message from USCIS with the receipt number

2-18-2011 - Day 11[/font]- received NOA 1 in mail for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

2-22-2011 -Day 15- received biometrics letter -appt March 14

3-10-2011- still cannot see case online although I called USCIS two days ago

3-14-2011- Day 35- Biometrics done on the appointment day

3-24-2011-Day 45-case showing up online!!!! USCIS mailed on 3-23 my interview appt letter- April 26 is the day!

3-26-2011-Day 48-Received interview appt letter

4-1-2011-Day 59- USCIS mailed I-131 approval and ordered production of my new card (I assume the combined EAD/AP)

4-11-2012-Day 69- received EAd&AP combo in mail! Bad picture!

4-26-2011-Day 84-APPROVED!!! Card production ordered!

4-30-2011-Day 88-Welcome to America letter received

5-4-2011-Day 92 - received green card in mail (8 days after the interview) - it is kinda green!!!!

as1cEY2003-0000MDA0NDZzfDAwMDYxOTN8V2UgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIG1hcnJpZWQgZm9y.gif

Timeline

Thanks - I think we'll attempt to get this redone. I am curious though as to what their standards are for translations.

IO's discretion. If they believe the translation is accurate and complete then they'll accept it. If they don't believe it then they won't accept it. In your case, your translator's declaration used bad English grammar. An IO could easily presume the translation wasn't accurate for that reason.

I'm not sure if the rules are any different for different parts of the world (seems high-fraud areas have stricter standards on everything), but my wife did the translation of her own birth certificate, and we were approved (2 days ago) for her green card. There's no "official" translator needed, just a certification that the translation's accurate. If you or your beneficiary (or anyone else you know) are fluent in both languages, you can have that person do the translation.

That saved us a lot of stress, since we were having trouble finding a "professional" Czech translator in the area who would work on a quick turnaround. Instead, my wife just sat down with a Czech/English dictionary and went to town (some of the words are a bit outside of everyday vocabulary in either language, so the dictionary helped us be sure...).

06/18/10 Married

08/12/10 - Day 0 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 (USPS Express Mail)

08/13/10 - Day 1 - Delivery Confirmation at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

08/20/10 - Day 8 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) confirmation of acceptance/NOA issued for I-130, I-485, I-765

10/09/10 - Day 58 - EAD (I-765) case visible online, others still not showing up.

10/21/10 - Day 70 - Spoke to 2nd-tier support, got a "referral" opened on the biometrics appointment (as in, why isn't there one yet?)

10/29/10 - Day 78 - Biometrics appt letter received (scheduled for November 18 in Alexandria)

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Successful Walk-In Biometrics at Alexandria, VA

11/04/10 - Day 84 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered"

11/09/10 - Day 89 - Email/SMS notice of "Card Production Ordered" (same text, same everything, just a second notice)

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Email/SMS notice of "EAD Approved"

11/12/10 - Day 92 - Received EAD card in mail (same day as notification of approval, no other snail mail notices)

12/07/10 - Day 117 - AOS Interview letter received (scheduled for January 10, 2011)

01/10/11 - Day 153 - AOS Interview complete - verbally approved, but we're not believing it until the card shows up.

01/14/11 - Day 157 - Electronic (E-mail/SMS) notification of approval of I-485

01/15/11 - Day 158 - Received notice of I-485 approval in mail

01/18/11 - Day 161 - Received Green Card in mail!

Timeline

I'm not sure if the rules are any different for different parts of the world (seems high-fraud areas have stricter standards on everything), but my wife did the translation of her own birth certificate, and we were approved (2 days ago) for her green card. There's no "official" translator needed, just a certification that the translation's accurate. If you or your beneficiary (or anyone else you know) are fluent in both languages, you can have that person do the translation.

That saved us a lot of stress, since we were having trouble finding a "professional" Czech translator in the area who would work on a quick turnaround. Instead, my wife just sat down with a Czech/English dictionary and went to town (some of the words are a bit outside of everyday vocabulary in either language, so the dictionary helped us be sure...).

He's dealing with USCIS, so the requirements are the same for everyone, regardless of what country they originally came from. Anyone who is fluent in both English and the language the document is written in can perform the translation. The only thing USCIS requires is a declaration from the translator that they are fluent and competent to translate the document. If that declaration contains bad grammar then the IO can presume they aren't fluent enough in English to translate the document.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I've read that the translation should reproduce the original document template and if there's an stamp, the translator should translate whatever is written in the stamp. On the other hand, USCIS doesn't require the birth certificate to be translated for a certified translator, it can be someone fluent in both languages but if the grammar of the translation is very bad it can be rejected and maybe that's the reason why. Just tell your translator to be faithful to the design of the birth certificate and make sure is someone who is truly fluent in both languages to the point of doing a good translation.

Best wishes! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.