mitch.snyder

Transferring Funds

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know that this has been discussed before but I just can't seem to find it. What is the best way to send funds from a Canadian bank to my U.S. bank? I know there was a service that was part of the Western Union family that people have recommended on VisaJourney but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called!

Thanks!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
http://www.customhouse.com/ which is NOW owned by Western union!! Have used Customhouse since 2005 and it has been super. Used it a few times since Western Union has taken over, with no problems.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.customhouse.com/ which is NOW owned by Western union!! Have used Customhouse since 2005 and it has been super. Used it a few times since Western Union has taken over, with no problems.

Thank you!

If you bank with Scotiabank, you can access your CDN account and withdraw USD funds from any Bank of America ATM. There is no charge, other than the normal difference from exchanging between CDN and USD (whatever that may be at the time)

Jan 12, 2010 - I-129F sent to Vermont

Jan 14, 2010 - NOA1 issued

Jan 20, 2010 - Touched

Jan 30, 2010 - NOA1 received in mail

Mar 22, 2010 - NOA2! 67 days after NOA1! #222 on Igor's List!

Mar 23, 2010 - Touched

Mar 24, 2010 - NVC Received Petition

Mar 26, 2010 - NVC Sent Petition to Montreal Consulate

Apr 01, 2010 - Montreal Consulate Received Petition

Apr 13, 2010 - Packet 3 Received

Apr 16, 2010 - Packet 3 Mailed

Apr 20, 2010 - Montreal Consulate Received Packet 3

May 11, 2010 - Packet 3 Logged

Jun 29, 2010 - Packet 4 Received !

Jul 12, 2010 - Medical !!

Aug 25, 2010 - Interview at Montreal Consulate !!! APPROVED !!!

Sep 08, 2010 - Port of Entry in Port Huron / Blue Water Bridge !!!

Sep 25, 2010 - Wedding Day !!!!

Nov 15, 2010 - AOS + EAD sent

Nov 23, 2010 - NOA1

Nov 24, 2010 - AOS + EAD touched

Jan 06, 2011 - Biometrics Appointment

Jan 28, 2011 - EAD approved!

Mar 29, 2011 - GREEN CARD INTERVIEW! APPROVED !!!

Apr 07, 2011 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!!

Mar 11, 2013 - ROC sent

Timeline

Now a days, if ur just withdrawing small amounts, ur ATM is probably suffice. But if ur transferring large amounts of $$$, you def want to check around. Few yrs I did a decent sized transfer, phoned the banks and CH was better, and it did make a difference. CH is free to set up, its nice to have in case you need it. If you do it electronically (EFT)its Free, takes 3-4 BUSSINESS days to go thru, and they do offer a wire service as well, but it costs $$$. Of course the EFT is not truly free, they make their $$ on the exchange rate difference.

I keep 1 Cdn bank acct open with a near zero balance! As I occasionally get Cdn Cheques. Soem banks will charge you fees up the wazoo, or they won't charge u a fee, BUT give u a sub-par exchange rate! Again not a huge deal on a small amount, but sure sucks on the larger ones! So i just mail my cheques back to my folks, who have my Cdn bank debit card, and they deposit it into my Cdn account. Then I use CH to tx the $$$. I also TX funds from the USA back to Canada when I head back home! Nice to have when i send $$ to my relatives, just write a cdn cheque then too

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I bank with the RBC and it easily allows me to transfer funds back and forth between my two accounts.

K1 Timeline

I-129F Sent: 01-23-2010

Packet 3 Received: 06-15-2010

Packet 4 Received: 08-13-2010

Interview: 10-20-2010

POE: 10-29-2010

Wedding: 11-03-2010

AOS Timeline

Packet submitted (AOS, EAD, AP): 11-09-2010

Delivered : 11-10-2010

E-notifications received: 11-16-2010

AOS, EAD and AP touched: 11-19-2010

NOA1 received: 11-19-2010

AOS touched: 12-02-2010, transfered to CSC

AOS touched: 12-03-2010

Senator's aide gets involved: 12-08-2010

Received letter for biometrics: 12-14-2010

Biometrics: 12-15-2010 (walk-in)

EAD card production ordered: 12-15-2010

EAD and AP touched: 12-22-2010

Email to inform me that letters for EAD and AP approvals have been sent: 12-22-2010

EAD card received: 12-23-2010

AP letter received: 12-28-2010

Green card and welcome letter received: 03-23-2011

Timeline

CH staff was great, they will talk you thru it step by step as well. But now that a few Cdn banks have entered the USA market, as others have stated their is other options now. If ur transferring large amounts of $$$$, its good to check around to see what exchange rate ur going to get! and keep in mind it takes a day or 2 to set up a CH account

Filed: Timeline

I used to espouse Custom House but recently had such a bad experience with them that I not only stopped using them, I also refuse to continue to endorse their services. :angry: In addition, I was able to get a much better rate (granted, this was under special circumstances) just using the bank-to-bank wire transfer. Since their takeover by Western Union, CH's rates are no longer competitive.

Whatever you do, don't cash a Canadian cheque at an American bank!!!!!

Link to how Custom House works

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.