Abby62

POE questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was wondering when I get my Visa and want to cross into the USA when can I return back to Canada?

Can I just cross into the USA, activate the Visa and then turn around and come back to Canada? I want to stay here for a bit after my approval and work and live here, but there might be times when I want to visit hubby in the USA. Can this be done, or do I have to stay in the USA after I activate it?

Thanks

Feb 14, 2010 - Engaged :-)
Apr 17, 2010 - Married
May 24, 2010 - I-130 Sent to USCIS
Oct 20, 2010 - : I-130 NOA2 APPROVED..GOD IS GOOD!!!!! smile.png
Oct 26, 2010 : NVC Received
Dec 06, 2010 - Case Complete at NVC
Jan 24, 2011 - Medical exam
Feb 24, 2011 - Passed, welcome to USA
Mar 04, 2011 - POE - Detroit, MI
Mar 14, 2011 - SSN# Rec'd
Mar 24, 2011 - smile.png GC and Welcome Letter
Sept 19, 2011- Filed I-130 for my son (his step son)
June 14, 2013-APPROVED, 10 YR GC IN THE MAIL

Mar 3, 2014- N-400

May 12, 2014 Interview for Citizenship- PASSED!

June 12th, USA citizen - Oath Ceremony...all done here!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope, your in the USA until you have greencard in hand. The K1 visa has a ONE TIME ONLY entry. Until you fulfill the requirements of the visa ... ie: marry ... if you cross over back into Canada, you have used up your ONE TIME ONLY entry and visa is over. After you have married, you will need to adjust your status, the proof of this adjustment is your greencard. Then you are free to cross both borders.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Nope, your in the USA until you have greencard in hand. The K1 visa has a ONE TIME ONLY entry. Until you fulfill the requirements of the visa ... ie: marry ... if you cross over back into Canada, you have used up your ONE TIME ONLY entry and visa is over. After you have married, you will need to adjust your status, the proof of this adjustment is your greencard. Then you are free to cross both borders.

No Adjustment of Status required, she's applying for an IR1/CR1 visa. She'll receive her green card in the mail approximately 3 - 6 weeks (maybe sooner)after POE. Her passport should also receive a temporary 551 stamp that will allow here to travel immediately since she is a permanent resident once she passes POE.

She does need to insure that she doesn't give the indication that she's abandoning or has abandoned her permanent resident status.

Here's a sample of the stamp.

http://www.visajourn...p_display_media

George

Edited by George & Gina

11/15/10: I-130 package FEDEX'd to Chicago Lockbox

11/15/10: NSO Marriage and Birth Certificates available for pick-up at NSO

11/17/10: Receipt Date of I-130 petition at Chicago Lockbox

11/19/10: NSO Marriage Cert and Birth Cert (4x each) received by Gina in Philippines

11/19/10: CRBA package couriered to US Embassy in Manila

11/22/10: CRBA package/application including NSO BC & MC received by embassy

11/22/10: NOA1 Date

11/24/10: Electronic notification of receipt received from Chicago Lockbox

11/24/10: Embassy scheduled CRBA appointment for 12/21/2010

11/26/20: Check cashed

11/27/10: NOA1 Hardcopy received via USPS

12/21/10: Interview/Personal appearance at Manila Embassy for CRBA **approved**

01/03/11: CRBA and US Passport for daughter received by Gina via FEDEX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This works only for a K-1. The OP is entering on a CR-1 visa

I agree with George & Gina. You have 6 months to travel on your Cr-1 so you don't have to move rigth away. But also, if you aren't planning on moving until June - why did you petition so early?

You can travel on your I-551 stamp however if the CPB gets an indication that you aren't living in the US (which you aren't) they may give you hassles at the border.

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When a CR-1 visa holder enters at PoE, they receive an I-551 stamp in their passport. This stamp is equivalent to a GC in all respects. You will be a GC-holding PR from the moment you activate your visa.

PR's are expected to maintain their permanent residence in the US. this will presumably be your USC spouse's current residence, so that's taken care of.

P'Rs are expected to spend at least 50% of their time in the US, but are allowed to leave the US for vacations of less than 6 months with no consequences whatsoever.

Given all of this, it is certainly possible to activate your CR-1 visa, receive your I-551 stamp, and return to Canada for at least several weeks. While it is perfectly legal, it makes the CBP officers uncomfortable if you donut in their parking lot and head back out right after they stamp you in. However, it's certainly possible to go down for a day trip, activate your visa on the way in, and go back to Canada for a few weeks, several hours later. Just remember that as far as CBP are concerned, once you activate your visa, your permanent residence is your address in the US.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.