tany1157

maiden name in passport

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yes, but we're talking about dealing with US immigration not Arab cultural norms. Plus, most of us are American women married to Arabs and it's our custom to change our last names upon marriage (usually but not always). I don't think anyone is worried about getting INTO Morocco.

In the ARAB culture, women DO NOT change their family names. So officials in Morocco do not expect that a wife will have the same family name as her husband. The Arabs, as a historically tribal culture, take great pride in their family heritage, and changing ones family name to another is a big NO NO (for an Arab woman).

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Timeline

Yes, but we're talking about dealing with US immigration not Arab cultural norms. Plus, most of us are American women married to Arabs and it's our custom to change our last names upon marriage (usually but not always). I don't think anyone is worried about getting INTO Morocco.

No...please read the OP's question"

"I just realized that I still have my maiden name in my passport....do I need to change it to fly to morocco?? I have researched this, and see that people said you can travel like this, but need your marriage certificate....well my original marriage certificate is currently at the NVC....has anyone traveled using their maiden name even though I changed to my married name? Will I have problems getting through customs in morocco? Will customs question why I have a different last name from my husband when they ask me who I am seeing in Morocco?"

I was responding to her question. She was asking/worried about Morocoo NOT the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

NVC requires original documents, not the USCIS...I just sent USCIS copies....

How much time do you have before your trip? Do you guys have a copy of your marriage certificate that you can have translated? When I changed my passport name I used the English translation. I really don't think you're going to have any trouble as long as your ticket matches the name on the passport. They never ask for other proof of identity entering Morocco or coming back.

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

How much time do you have before your trip? Do you guys have a copy of your marriage certificate that you can have translated? When I changed my passport name I used the English translation. I really don't think you're going to have any trouble as long as your ticket matches the name on the passport. They never ask for other proof of identity entering Morocco or coming back.

Like I said, the wife's family name DOES NOT need to match the husband's...wither you are American or Arab female. I agree, as long as your name on the passport matches the one on your airline ticket, you are OK. You do not need your marriage certificate. The only time you MIGHT (a big MIGHT) need to present a marriage certificate is if you are staying in a hotel together, and the hotel's front desk personel were stupid to not realize that you two are married. So it might be a good idea to have a translated marriage certificate to present to stupid people who doubt that you two are married (like if you stay in the same hotel room with your husband).

Good Luck.

I was wondering about this same subject I have been researching this and I have come up with a phone number for National Passport Info 1-877-487-2778.

I will be calling them to find out for sure. I not sure if i will have my social securty card changed in time to get a new passport in my new married name, so I will be calling to find out.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I travelled this past summer to Norway in which I used my passport that is still in my maiden name (that is the only document that I have not changed into my married name) - had no problems - as long as your name on your ticket matches your passport you should be fine. :star:

SUE & NASR. EDDINE

Married March 25, 2004 - Tunis, Tunisia

Timelines are now in profile

02/23/05- Husband arrives............POE Newark, NJ!

CITIZENSHIP

02/23/09 - mailed citizenship papers to Lewisville, TX - priority mail

02/26/09 - received at TX

03/04/09 - Service Center deposits check

03/04/09 - NOA date

03/06/09 - check posted to my account

03/09/09 - NOA received in mail

06/04/09 - called Customer Service - in regards to not receiving bio appointment

06/13/09 - received letter in regards to my inquiry to Customer Service - stating husband had recently missed biometric appointment (never received a notice in mail) - going to be rescheduled - letter dated 06/05/09

06/17/09 - received Notice for biometrics appointment - dated 06/12/09

06/26/09 - Biometrics Appointment - St. Albans, VT

08/20/09 - Received Interview Appointment Letter

10/05/09 - Interview - Albany, NY- PASSED

10/23/09 - Oath Ceremony - Fort Edward, NY

01/28/10 - applied for US Passport

02/19/10 - received back naturalization certificate

02/22/10 - received US Passport

I travelled this past summer to Norway in which I used my passport that is still in my maiden name (that is the only document that I have not changed into my married name) - had no problems - as long as your name on your ticket matches your passport you should be fine. :star:

From what I found out it is not that big of a issue. But they do advise that you get it changed as fast as you can, when all other documents have been changed. I called National Passport Information Center last night and I explained my situaltion she just said to make sure I had all supporting legal documentation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks to everyone who replied! Not so worried anymore....am leaving for Morocco on the 25 of jan!!

Never give up on anything God has told you to believe for; never quit doing anything He has clearly shown you to do. Your diligence will pay off with a blessing from God." -Joyce Meyers

K1 Journey

-Filed August 2009

-Approved October 2009

-Interview in Casablanca January 2010

-Results DENIED

CR1 Journey

-Married March 2010

-Filed June 2010

-Approved October 2010

-NVC Journey 13 Weeks

-Interview in Casablanca March 2011

-Results DENIED

-USCIS received May 10, 2011

-NOIR received January 30, 2012

-NOIR sent February 21, 2012

-NOIR received by USCIS February 22, 2012

-NOIR response February 28, 2012--REAFFIRMED!

-NVC received petition March 19, 2012

-Petition sent to Casa March 20, 2012

-Consulate called husband to set interview March 26, 2012

-Interview set for April 2, 2012 at 3pm!!

-Interview results--APPROVED!

-Civil documents in--April 5, 2012

-Consulate called April 6, 2012 to pick up visa following Monday

-IR1 received--April 9, 2012

-POE--May 9, 2012

-Applied SS card--May 23, 2012

-Received SS card--May 26, 2012

-Received Welcome Letter--May 29, 2012

-GC mailed--June 1, 2012

-Received 10 year GC--June 4, 2012

-Applied for citizenship--February/March 2015

-Request for more proof/evidence--July 2015

-Approved--July 2015

-Citizenship Ceremony-- August 2015

NO MORE IMMIGRATION!!????

• 3 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.