^_^

Abolish Drunk Driving Laws

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

If it's true that that is how the police service use their forces, for sure, but it seems highly unlikely to me. There are a lot odd stories that circulate about how the police operate, for the most part I suspect it's a lot of hooey.

As to whether drink impairs one's ability to drive, yes, it does and accidents are much more likely to happen when one is drunk because one has much slower reactions, much poorer co-ordination and impaired ability to make decisions. To suggest that driving drunk is as safe as driving sober is about as absurd a view as I have seen on VJ and there have been many. Even the article isn't suggesting that drunk driving laws are a bad idea, just that lowering the limits changed the emphasis on enforcement. I still am dubious as to whether that is true however.

Its a bunch of things for me really, obviously the biggest is that checkpoints are inferior to saturation patrols in catching DUIs and yet they cost more and have a greater effect on the population. I've been through two in the last two weeks coming home for work (holidays I guess). Most organizations claim that the checkpoint's role is to raise awareness, but at the end of the day every adult understands drunk driving is dangerous.

IMO we as a society have been distracted. We basically throw the book at drunk drivers, slap texting and phone use on the wrist, and look the other way when it comes to drowsy driving. As with almost every topic it seems moderation gets thrown out the window.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Its a bunch of things for me really, obviously the biggest is that checkpoints are inferior to saturation patrols in catching DUIs and yet they cost more and have a greater effect on the population. I've been through two in the last two weeks coming home for work (holidays I guess). Most organizations claim that the checkpoint's role is to raise awareness, but at the end of the day every adult understands drunk driving is dangerous.

IMO we as a society have been distracted. We basically throw the book at drunk drivers, slap texting and phone use on the wrist, and look the other way when it comes to drowsy driving. As with almost every topic it seems moderation gets thrown out the window.

Sometimes the ideal is not practical or even possible. Ideally every behavior that impairs driving would be treated proportionately to its degree of risk. Alcohol is in a somewhat unique position of being both a major and well-documented hazard, and is easily quantifiable by law enforcement. Maybe we will soon be there with cell phone calling and texting. Drowsy driving seems very difficult to enforce! Sometimes you just have to do what is practical. It is nonsensical for some to argue here that because there are other significantly risky behaviors that are not illegal, then alcohol should also not be illegal to use before/during driving!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Sometimes the ideal is not practical or even possible. Ideally every behavior that impairs driving would be treated proportionately to its degree of risk. Alcohol is in a somewhat unique position of being both a major and well-documented hazard, and is easily quantifiable by law enforcement. Maybe we will soon be there with cell phone calling and texting. Drowsy driving seems very difficult to enforce! Sometimes you just have to do what is practical. It is nonsensical for some to argue here that because there are other significantly risky behaviors that are not illegal, then alcohol should also not be illegal to use before/during driving!

I'll agree with the drowsy part, but when someone has a phone to their ear and gets a 20 dollar fine...thats just insane.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Well, the article is pretty honest.

Drunk driving laws are reactionary/emotional based laws. MADD got an inch, now they've pushed for 30 miles. Just as they are making a push for EVERY car and EVERY driver to have to use an in-car breathalyzer before getting behind the wheel ever. First thing in the morning, lunch break at work, on you way home, etc. Any time behind the wheel they want this.

Even here in Texas they are moving to add roadblocks/checkpoints again in which cops and get an on-the-spot court order to draw blood from you. I mean #######??? You can't even refuse and be arrested anymore. They'll have a search warrant place immediately to get blood from you... They've been pushing this by doing it on holiday weekends for the past couple of years.. It's horse #######.

The article says we should focus on overall behaviour behind the wheel and I agree. I see so many people daily driving like jack arses who aren't drunk. Who go in-and-out of traffic, almost hitting other cars, riding right up on people's tails... women driving with their knees putting on makeup.. It never ends on the multitude of things done that is wreckless.

Drunk drivers should be shot in the head. I think you would have to shoot about 3.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'll agree with the drowsy part, but when someone has a phone to their ear and gets a 20 dollar fine...thats just insane.

But then how do you enforce people using hands free devices? And what about talking to someone in the back seat? I agree we should continue looking at all these things but the perfect and completely just system does not exist and probably never will. But that does not mean that the alcoholics should be allowed to kill our family members with impunity.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

But then how do you enforce people using hands free devices? And what about talking to someone in the back seat? I agree we should continue looking at all these things but the perfect and completely just system does not exist and probably never will. But that does not mean that the alcoholics should be allowed to kill our family members with impunity.

You'd be honestly surprised at how many drunk drivers there are out there on the road.... Every moment of every day. Well, 'legally' drunk that is. Most don't kill people.

http://www.alcoholstats.com/mm/docs/8847.pdf

over 67% of alcohol related car fatalities happened with people over .15 the legal limit.

Only 32% of all auto fatalities occurred from Alcohol related symptoms.

You've got a 62% bigger problem with everything else.

You aren't going to stop it... no way, no how. Not without extremely violating the liberty of each and every American over a few fatalities every year.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!