6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure which forum to post this in, so moderators feel free to move it...

I did my POE November 30. We will be married next week.

In the past year (including this past month) I have spent about 7 months visiting the U.S. Would my fiance be able to include me as a dependent on his taxes, or do we have to be married and after I adjust to permanent resident status? My fiance's tax guy told him I have to be a U.S. citizen, but I wasn't sure if he was correct.

If anyone could point me to another forum where there might be more info about this, I would appreciate it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure which forum to post this in, so moderators feel free to move it...

I did my POE November 30. We will be married next week.

In the past year (including this past month) I have spent about 7 months visiting the U.S. Would my fiance be able to include me as a dependent on his taxes, or do we have to be married and after I adjust to permanent resident status? My fiance's tax guy told him I have to be a U.S. citizen, but I wasn't sure if he was correct.

If anyone could point me to another forum where there might be more info about this, I would appreciate it.

Interesting question - I don't think your fiance can claim you as dependent for 2010 since you weren't a legal resident of the US, just visiting - I'm not sure you have to be married for him to claim you or be a US citizen though. My husband was able to claim me the first year - mind you I arrived in Nov and we got married that same Nov. I most certainly was not a US citizen at the time of course.

Your husband's tax guy is misinformed - you still have 3 yrs until citizenship and your husband can most certainly claim you in the next couple years.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes, you can file a joint return for 2010.

Moving this to "Moving and live in USA"

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We filed a joint return for 2009 all they needed was my T4 from canada, my SSN and any other canadian income evidence that I had (I had stocks in canada had to be claimed). My husband got back a bigger return!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Yes, you can file a joint return for 2010.

Moving this to "Moving and live in USA"

How can he claim her on his 2010 taxes, if they are not married yet?

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Had you married in 2010, he could have filed jointly with you and had a tax advantage on his 2010 income tax. You would not have to have a greencard or even EAD to file jointly with a USC spouse. Now he will file "single" for 2010 and jointlty with you a year from now

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.