ania83

filed for AOS but still on F1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

To make a long story short: I got married in Oct. and filed for AOS at the beginning of November. Shortly after that we got our first NOA and had my biometrics completed in December. I am still awaiting my EAD, but I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on whether it is safe for me to quit the school that I am attending? Or should I keep going to the school to keep my status as a student? If I do not attend the school anymore will this jeopardize or delay the process of getting my green card? I do not want to keep paying the expensive tuition if this is not necessary. Thanks for any advice on the matter.

You can quit. Your status now is "AOS pending." Your current F-1 status is NOT required for a successful AOS. Good luck and congrats on the marriage!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

You can quit. Your status now is "AOS pending." Your current F-1 status is NOT required for a successful AOS. Good luck and congrats on the marriage!

Congrats from me too :) - and as a former F-1 student I can add that you actually do lose your F-1 status once your AOS package was accepted by USCIS - since you basically "give up" your non-immigrant status you had as a foreign student.

As far as quitting school goes - yes, you can and even during the AOS period decide to go back to school, just keep on mind that your school still may charge you a higher tuition then for your state's residents until you can show a greencard (had to experience that not too long ago myself)

Good luck on your AOS journey

Maxximus

Edited by Maxximus1074

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Thank you all!!

@Maxximus1074 I've already tried to find a school in my area (Atlanta) that would allow me to pay in state or at least out of state tuition while my AOS pending. Unfortunately, all of the schools I contacted want to see my GC in hand. They don't even allow me to study while on "AOS pending". :(;(;(

Thanks

Thank you all!!

@Maxximus1074 I've already tried to find a school in my area (Atlanta) that would allow me to pay in state or at least out of state tuition while my AOS pending. Unfortunately, all of the schools I contacted want to see my GC in hand. They don't even allow me to study while on "AOS pending". :(;(;(

Thanks

I don't know if you are undergrad or not, but you have better chance with community colleges. I have a friend who went to school in Atlanta that way, but that was a few years ago. I can't remember the name of the community college now, but unless they have changed it it is still doable

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; you works are wonderful, I know that full well"~Ps 139: 14

I don't know if you are undergrad or not, but you have better chance with community colleges. I have a friend who went to school in Atlanta that way, but that was a few years ago. I can't remember the name of the community college now, but unless they have changed it it is still doable

....that sure sucks that they won't accept you for admission. When I recently filled out my online application for the local community college district they asked for my A number, and I left it blank as have not had received my NOA1 by then - lead to the admission office asking me to pay out of state tuition, even after I explained that I have been in the US For 10 years and only lived in Cali - they then referred to the US federal laws on how to administer students and they would have to see the actual greencard :( - funny part is, the officials have had a e-mail header saying "What are your educational dreams, let us work on them together"....and then they can't ....sigh....

Hope you get to continue your education soon :)

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

• 4 months later...

I know it's been a while since someone last posted here, but I just wanted to share my experience....My community college in Connecticut allowed me to pay in-state once I showed them my marriage certificate. They did not ask for green card, just a copy of marriage certificate, that's it! It was awesome...And I had other friends that did the same thing at the same college. So I guess it depends on the school, I think they make their own rules...

05/16/2011: Sent I-130, I-485, I-864, I-131 and I-756 to Chicago Lockbox facility via USPS Express Mail.

05/17/2011: (Day 1): Package received and signed by S BUSH.

05/23/2011: (Day 7): Email + text confirmation for all forms.

05/24/2011: (Day 8): Checks cashed. ($1490) Ouch!!

05/27/2011: (Day 11): NOA received in the mail for all 4 forms.

05/28/2011: (Day 12): Biometrics Appointment letter in mail. Scheduled for June 22nd!

06/03/2011: (Day 18): Email/text received RFE.

06/08/2011: (Day 23): Received RFE letter in mail. Asking for Medical Form, I-693! I sent it already with my application, but I guess they lost it! :/

06/21/2011: (Day 36): Sent RFE response. CS gave me another form I-693 completed and signed.

06/22/2011: (Day 37): RFE package received in Lee's Summit, MO.

06/22/2011: (Day 37): Biometrics done!

06/24/2011: (Day 39): Email/text RFE response received and under review.

07/07/2011: (Day 52): EAD/AP approved, card production ordered.

07/12/2011: (Day 57): Another text/email saying EAD card production ordered.

07/12/2011: (Day 57): Email/text interview appt date for August 16th!

07/14/2011: (Day 59): EAD/AP arrived!!! yayy, yayyy, yayyyyyy!!! :))))

Waiting...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.