tobey

Getting things ready

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Hello, I was wondering if someone can help me. I know I may be getting ahead of myself but I am visiting my fiance next week and while we have only received our NOA1 recently, I wanted to get everything ready for when the NOA2 comes. The problem is that my fiance has limited English (we communicate in Russian- our home language) or understanding of the procedures so I'm basically putting everything together.

I want to make the best of this trip and have everything ready. Other than DS156, DS156K, DS230 part I, and SEO97 should we collect anything? Also, does the police report have to be sent to the embassy and is there an expiration date if we were to have it done now?

Also, would the limited English be a problem at the interview. He is currently learning but has very limited time to prepare as he is in the army.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

We will also (hopefully) be preparing soon for our Interview.

Our interview will be done at the embassy in Chile, and on their website they have a list of what comprises what they refer to as a "packet 3". Perhaps the embassy in the country your fiancee will be moving from will also have necessary info online about what is required at the interview. I would check. Good Luck!

2/1980 – foreign exchange student to Santiago Chile

3/80 – Met Daniel at school

4/80 – we became high school sweethearts

2/81 – returned to the USA, Daniel arrived late at the airport to say goodbye

1981 – 2009 - Life happens. We both married others and divorced

7/23/2009 – Daniel found me via classmates.com

9/18/09 – Traveled to Chile to spend time with Daniel

10/09 – engaged!!

11/10/09 – returned to the USA

1/10 – Daniel began gathering his paperwork to start the K1

2/10 – earthquake in Chile delays everything

3/10 – went to Chile for less than a week

6/10 – received Daniels paperwork, started preparing K1

7/10 – K1 refused due to typo

8/12/10 – received NOA1!!

2/2/2011 - Received NOA2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Thank you Carla1 for your response. The embassy website doesn't seem to provide as much information as I had hoped. Their information is general to all nonimmigrant visas- DS-160 and etc. No mention of K1 specifically. I guess I'll keep poking around. Good luck to you guys, it seems you are not far from the NOA2!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did I read everything correctly? He is in Israel and speaks only Russian? That could be a problem. Does he speak Hebrew? That would probably fly in Israel, but only Russian? That could be a problem.

As for the police records and other docs, some embassies have requirements regarding expiration dates. So check the embassy website and make sure your documents are fresh enough for them. You don't want to wait until the day of the interview to find out that some vital docs are dated.

The consulate probably has people who can communicate in Hebrew, Arabic, and Russian. He can have his interview in Hebrew or maybe Russian if he prefers/needs. They just want to see that you two have a common language... it doesn't have to be English. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Did I read everything correctly? He is in Israel and speaks only Russian? That could be a problem. Does he speak Hebrew? That would probably fly in Israel, but only Russian? That could be a problem.

As for the police records and other docs, some embassies have requirements regarding expiration dates. So check the embassy website and make sure your documents are fresh enough for them. You don't want to wait until the day of the interview to find out that some vital docs are dated.

Thanks, I was trying to check since a lawyer told me there is a 3 month expiration date. He is fluent both in Hebrew and Russian. I was wondering if him not being fluent in English would be a problem at the embassy.

The consulate probably has people who can communicate in Hebrew, Arabic, and Russian. He can have his interview in Hebrew or maybe Russian if he prefers/needs. They just want to see that you two have a common language... it doesn't have to be English. Good luck.

Thank you!! Exactly what I wanted to hear :) lol he's been stressing about the English but we definitely can speak a common language. Also, I see that your consulate is also Israel, do you know if they are currently allowing the petitioner to join on the interview. I have seen mixed reviews.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.