US man w/ CN wife

Chinese citizen visiting China while AOS in US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I'm a US citizen so I know I'm going to need to get another visa to enter China. My wife is a Chinese citizen who entered the US on a K1 fiancé visa. We just submitted her application for conditional permanent resident status and we also applied to get an advance parole document to use in the meantime before the green card is approved.

My question is, with the US advanced Parole document does my wife need a Chinese visa to travel from the US to China, and more importantly in order to leave China again to return to the US?

Also, once my wife's green card is issued and she is officially a US conditional permanent resident will she need a Chinese visa to travel from the US to China and to leave China again to return to the US?

I couldn’t find much info on this topic on visajourney which is my site of preference but from scavenging Google it seems like maybe possibly she only needs to bring her Chinese passport (with her maiden name), advanced parole document or green card once issued, flight tickets (with her maiden name), and marriage certificate to show why her last name is different on the AP/Greencard and flight tickets/Chinese passport. If anyone has experience/advice on the issue I would really appreciate.

Also if any Chinese citizens living in the US have stories or tips from traveling for a brief visit to China and then returning to the US (what to bring, what to expect when departing from the Chinese airport, what to expect when arriving back in the US and showing re-entry docs) that would be incredibly useful.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm a US citizen so I know I'm going to need to get another visa to enter China. My wife is a Chinese citizen who entered the US on a K1 fiancé visa. We just submitted her application for conditional permanent resident status and we also applied to get an advance parole document to use in the meantime before the green card is approved.

My question is, with the US advanced Parole document does my wife need a Chinese visa to travel from the US to China, and more importantly in order to leave China again to return to the US?

Also, once my wife's green card is issued and she is officially a US conditional permanent resident will she need a Chinese visa to travel from the US to China and to leave China again to return to the US?

I couldnt find much info on this topic on visajourney which is my site of preference but from scavenging Google it seems like maybe possibly she only needs to bring her Chinese passport (with her maiden name), advanced parole document or green card once issued, flight tickets (with her maiden name), and marriage certificate to show why her last name is different on the AP/Greencard and flight tickets/Chinese passport. If anyone has experience/advice on the issue I would really appreciate.

Also if any Chinese citizens living in the US have stories or tips from traveling for a brief visit to China and then returning to the US (what to bring, what to expect when departing from the Chinese airport, what to expect when arriving back in the US and showing re-entry docs) that would be incredibly useful.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

She does not need Visa to go to China, she is still a Chinese citizen and she can come and go as she please. The same as you can come and go as you please from the USA.

I would recommend waiting for the actual green card before traveling unless its an emergency. The advanced parole does not gaurantee she can return to the USA, though it is extremely rare people are denied re-entry if they have this document.

The rest you have correct, marriage certificate etc.

Even after she has Green card she will not need Visa for China, though if she becomes US citizen in the future then things can get a little more complicated.

As for you, I would recommend get a 1 year multi entry Visa to China, makes things easier and you can come and go as you please in China especially if something happens that you need to make quick trip to China.

I just renew my 1 year multi entry every year and have never had a problem entering or exiting China.

Edited by Azzudiin

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As for you, I would recommend get a 1 year multi entry Visa to China, makes things easier and you can come and go as you please in China especially if something happens that you need to make quick trip to China.

I just renew my 1 year multi entry every year and have never had a problem entering or exiting China.

AS long as she has a Chinese passport no visa is required for her to travel to China.

Since you are married to a PRC citizen you can get a 2 year Multi Entry visa to China, I believe its the same price.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Interview date:10/20/09...We are Pink!

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Stateside Feb 3rd. 2010. POE: JFK

Married Feb 20th, 2010

===================================

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

Biometrics 5/7/10 (Appointment Letter Recvd 4/27/10)

I485 transferred to CSC 4/30/10

Email received, AP and EAD approved 6/17/10.

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

Email, Card production ordered 8/16/10.

GC in Hand 8/27/10

=========================================

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Azzudiin, thank you for the info. I will definitely remember that about the AP document.

Sam and Fen, getting the 2 year visa is a great idea, but I would have to submit copies of my US marriage certificate and my wife’s passport bio page. Would China frown upon knowing that their citizen (my wife) is in the process of becoming a US resident and eventually becoming a US citizen? I wouldn’t want the Chinese embassy issuing my visa to put my wife’s name in some sort of a database so that she gets harassed or possibly detained at the Chinese airport. I know I sound a bit paranoid and that most likely isn’t the case but I would much rather sound like a nut and ask the question than risk something happening to my wife. :blink:

Did you apply for a 2 year multi entry Chinese visa by submitting your marriage certificate and Chinese spouse’s info while your spouse was a US permanent resident? Any problems visiting China and returning, or was it smooth sailing?

Thank you

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

AS long as she has a Chinese passport no visa is required for her to travel to China.

Since you are married to a PRC citizen you can get a 2 year Multi Entry visa to China, I believe its the same price.

Send in your marriage license with the application cross out 1 year and write in 2 years on the visa application.

Edited by Shenzhen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Azzudiin, thank you for the info. I will definitely remember that about the AP document.

Sam and Fen, getting the 2 year visa is a great idea, but I would have to submit copies of my US marriage certificate and my wife’s passport bio page. Would China frown upon knowing that their citizen (my wife) is in the process of becoming a US resident and eventually becoming a US citizen? I wouldn’t want the Chinese embassy issuing my visa to put my wife’s name in some sort of a database so that she gets harassed or possibly detained at the Chinese airport. I know I sound a bit paranoid and that most likely isn’t the case but I would much rather sound like a nut and ask the question than risk something happening to my wife. :blink:

Did you apply for a 2 year multi entry Chinese visa by submitting your marriage certificate and Chinese spouse’s info while your spouse was a US permanent resident? Any problems visiting China and returning, or was it smooth sailing?

Thank you

You are just being pranoid.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Interview date:10/20/09...We are Pink!

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Stateside Feb 3rd. 2010. POE: JFK

Married Feb 20th, 2010

===================================

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

Biometrics 5/7/10 (Appointment Letter Recvd 4/27/10)

I485 transferred to CSC 4/30/10

Email received, AP and EAD approved 6/17/10.

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

Email, Card production ordered 8/16/10.

GC in Hand 8/27/10

=========================================

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

You are just being pranoid.

Hii...everybody, I came to US by K1 visa almost 2 months ago and we got married almost a month ago. I'm confused about my name, I just have one single name in my passport and birth certificate and the they gave me the visa and wrote FNU in my first name which is mean First Name Unknown. When I applied for marriage license the recorder didn't write the FNU in my first name after I tell her I just have one single name. And now I have to apply for the AOS and want to change my name too,what name should i write in my AOS?. What should I do first?. Please help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Two year old thread closing, cellas I've split one of your other post asking the same question into a thread of its own~~~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.